Question about RTSP Firmware and 24/7 viewing

Agreed. I’m guessing the best thing to test would be shifting as much load as possible away from the cam and onto the TV box web server - especially if the cam is acting flaky.

In theory, you’ll overload the TV box at some extreme point, and a $300+ Nvidia Shield will likely handle wayyy more video streams than a $40 hockey puck device. But anything should help the cam stability. :grinning:

Look forward to hearing the results of your testing!

1 Like

I already have an Nvidia Sheild TV Pro :wink:

1 Like

Hi, I hope you took the plunge and tried wyze rtsp.

It’s decently reliable and so far has worked with all updates of the app. The only feature I seem to not be able to access is audio over rtsp (not applicable to the app). You can revert to stock firmware any time.

I run the streams into Blue Iris on my windows server. There is a local http UI that allows playback of both live and recorded videos. Using a proxy server and let’s encrypt I can view these both locally and remotely. It’s pretty easy to set up and it gives me a lot more control.

To answer your questions though, 1) yes, you can still monitor via the Wyze app remotely (or locally), and 2) you do not need a WAN/outgoing internet connection to view locally.

1. Does it still record 24/7 if using an sd card?
  2. Do Event Notifications still work?
  3. What does not work with RTSP?
  1. Honestly, I’ve never gotten any firmware to record 24/7 reliably. It’s about the same. Records 3-5 days and then begins to overwrite too soon (even though only 1gb is used). Seems like a fault of Wyze - or maybe because my SDs are formatted exFat instead of Fat32 - not sure. In other words - it went from poor recording for only a few days to the same performance. Wyze needs to do a lot in this area. (24/7 recording is not accessible via RTSP - only live stream - but recorded material still available in the app).

2. Event notifications still work. IFTTT worked last I checked and my Home Assistant integration performs reliably.

3. IR, event recording, continuous recording, alarm settings, sound recording, etc. all still work in current rev of the app. Sound and talkback don’t work for me via rtsp In blue iris, but still work in the app. Sensor bridge still works great as well.

It’s worth trying out - you can always revert to the stock firmware if you don’t like it.

1. It does still record 24/7 to the SD card. A 32gb card with HD recording will hold almost 3 days of videos. The algorithm used by Wyze keeps about 1 gb of free space available for photos etc.

2. Event notifications work but only sound and general motion not Person.

3. Person Detection does not work nor does CamPlus and I assume newer features that are added will not be.