Please add a feature to disable livestream audio / microphone

Very similar situation for us. Just want to be able to Share Video NOT Audio/mic

3 Likes

Want to share with family’s parents across the globe so they can see our puppy in his crate, but not listen in our conversations. This really should be a top priority; it’s just disabling a guest users privilege’s access to audio.

6 Likes

Ive mentioned this “fix” before. Use a very small bit and drill very slowly and carefully into mic hole while monitoring the sound. Stop drilling when the sounds goes. Obviously this makes the sound go away for good but i have no need for sound.

3 Likes

YES I want this too. We have others we are sharing our Wyze Cam access to but we don’t want them to start speaking into the microphone at the crack of dawn when ppl are still sleeping - but feel like the baby should be awake. It is incredibly annoying that they have access to do this and invade our privacy.

I need a way to disable audio features on their end of the Wyze app, so they cannot start creating noise on our Wyze cam speaker! This is driving us NUTS. WYZE, PLEASE ADD A SIMPLE CONTROL TO DISABLE SHARED USERS FROM USING THE SPEAKER.

5 Likes

Ditto. Please make the sharing permissions more granular!!! Should be an easy software update!

2 Likes

Looking for a manual switch to disable the mic or at least an admin password lock preventing any other person from turning on the mic!? For commercial purposes, I believe it is illegal for a cam to pick up 3rd party conversations - recorded or otherwise!

1 Like

2018 this was raised and its now 3 years later so I fear will not be implemented as it is a easy software fix to do!

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s very strange (suspicious?) this issue has not been addressed. It should be very easy to turn off sound capture in a wyze camera either via a mechanical or virtual switch. Preferably a mechanical one. Until then we’re stuck with options like one i hsve used, drilling (very carefully) a very small drill bit into the mic hole while monitoring the stream, stopping when the sound stops.

4 Likes

YES! SERIOUS privacy concerns. How could no one have thought of this in development? I was going to buy 5 of these cameras but will now return the one I bought simply because of this. Very disappointing considering so many other good things about this cam and app.

1 Like

Agree 100%

1 Like

Perhaps you can but I couldn’t figure it out but there needs to be a way to turn off the ability for someone to speak into the camera from the app, especially when you share the camera. I can tell you this if you don’t do this soon, I WILL CANCEL ALL MY SERVICES, THROW ALL MY WYZE PRODUCTS IN THE TRASH, NEVER ORDER AGAIN AND WRITE BAD REVIEWS AS LONG AS I CAN. I could be over reacting because I couldn’t figure this out late at night but seriously get some control of your app, fix the damn sound issues I have been plagued with since V3 camera and now in all my cameras because you install CHEAP microphones and don’t shield your electronics. When I share a camera I should be able to turn certain features off! Fix your [Mod Edit] WYZE. Quit trying to make everything under the sun and fix the stuff you have built!!!
[Mod Note]: Post edited to conform to the Wyze Community Guidelines

3 Likes

There is a post here that addresses how to physically remove the V2 or V3 cam’s mic:

1 Like

I appreciate the response, but many of us have no interest in permanently disabling the microphone.

I use the mic to record wanted audio.

Most of us just want to be able to disable it temporarily when we don’t want people to hear.

It’s ridiculous that the user cannot control this. Glaring oversight with blatant privacy issues. Worse though, is the complete lack of response from Wyze.

Thanks anyway.

1 Like

Neither process on the link permanently disables the mic. The V2 mic is socketed, and the V3 remains installed while unplugging the cable going to it.

I concur with that 100%! But this is the only solution we users have ATM. Thus, I offered it as an option.

1 Like

It also renders the camera to no longer be waterproof.

Great seeing that this is open for a few years now. Always nice checking forums out and seeing privacy issues not being addressed for years. Recently bought 5 cams and was hoping I can disable. Guess I’ll check back by 2030.

Great job team!

1 Like

There are still some options though, starting a few posts above yours.

You mean voiding the warranty by opening the camera? Destroying the mic?

Or do you mean putting tape over the mic which doesn’t work?

Options would be:

A toggle to disable the mic for all users on the owner’s account

Or

Permissions for shared users so that turning sound on is an unavailable option.

2 Likes

Neither process destroys the mic, but you wouldn’t want to perform them on cameras under warranty. Instead, rotate older cameras to those positions if you have them.

Yes, tape is not a solution.

Understand this is better done in software, but as you said this has been out there for years, and no one has picked up on it. Just passing on some other options if disabling the mic is important to you.

I am currently in the process of filing a class-action lawsuit about this issue because of the blatant invasion of privacy and the lack of response from WAZE regarding this issue. It’s actually a violation of law in many states to not have a optional bypass of this audio eavesdropping.

Stay tuned for more details.

2 Likes