Perching room only

Once I have positively identified the builder of a nest in any of my structures or birdhouses as a House Sparrow or Starling, I clear it out.

1 Like

Had that happen last year and cleared it out. Didn’t think and just dumped the nest in the grass below the box. The nest was rebuilt quickly because the material was close. That nest went in the trash and I left the door open for a few days.

Here is momma bluebird removing the swallow nest material.

3 Likes

It is very possible that I might have more than 2 broods this year so I took the first box apart and cleaned it.

The inside of the entrance was a nice sharp cut when the box was new. Only one brood has fledged from this box.

3 Likes

With the birdhouse being popular, the original plan to rotate boxes was scrapped and this box is now on a pole about 60 feet away from the other.

While I was doing that I mounted a WOC on the deck pointing at a fountain

2 Likes

The second bluebird house already has the beginnings of a nest!

3 Likes

Is the sound you just outside the box happily anticipating the next clip? :wink:

1 Like

Barn swallow Daggum it

1 Like

You guys are influencing me. I’m now actually thinking of doing something. :thinking:

It’ll pass. :beer::sleeping:

2 Likes

The sparrow can’t figure out where the house went

Notice at the end the bird left a deposit.

2 Likes

And now for something completely different

2 Likes

Just like the Imperial Star Destroyers, they have to dump the trash before the jump to light speed. :rofl:

1 Like

:+1::grinning:

5 Likes

Damn sparrow got in the nest and ate the egg.

Probably mad because I keep cleaning its nest from the other house.

Time to break out the squirrel repellent bb pistol.

Thinking more about this really ticks me off. Not sure if bluebirds feel emotion, but it made me sad watching that.

3 Likes

Mom made another deposit

2 Likes

Merlin Bird ID says this is most likely a cowbird

Stout bill. Short tail and stocky body. Males are glossy black with chocolate brown head. Females are gray-brown overall, without bold streaks, but slightly paler throat. Juveniles streaked brown. Found in open woods, farmland, and stockyards. Forages by walking on the ground. Often in flocks with other blackbirds in winter. Visits feeders. Unpopular due to their parasitic habit of laying eggs in nests of other birds.

2 Likes

They are invasive, gregarious and brood parasites. Fortunately, we see them only for a week during spring and fall during migration. They’re probably prevalent in your area this time of year. Hopefully, too large to enter your birdhouses.

I am letting the sparrow build a nest so it doesn’t bother the bluebirds.

Once all bluebird eggs are out I will dump the sparrow nest into the trash

3 Likes

Naughty pine? Pretty pattern! :art:

3 Likes

We have several red-headed woodpeckers eating at the suet feeder.

Need to rig up something so the WOC is on the other side of the feeder.

3 Likes