Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Yep! Survived several weather extremes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! I have that same case so good to know!20190426_194024

1 Like

I have not had any issues with my 2 cams outside. I have one sitting under an eve by my front door. Never have I had obstructed view due to weather. Cams are excellent especially for the price. I feel these cams hold up well outdoors and believe a case made by Wyze but be sufficient. I’ve used my pan cam outside with a cover from Amazon as well. It’s been up through arctic temps and high heat now.

@UserCustomerGwen Do you have any update on the outdoor cam with any current status or tentative launch date. Something from your side will really help calm down our nervous wait time.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Is anyone running Wyze cams off a “low voltage landscape lighting” circuit? (12 volt AC)
I’m wondering about source for an inexpensive 12 volt AC to 5 volt DC converter.

They are on Amazon too, but here is one I found. You just want to make sure your not taxing the converter for your low voltage lights. If you only have one or two lights you should be fine, if you have 15 of them you would need to look into it a little further.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382602462335

Thanks, but that’s DC to DC. I’m looking for recommendations by someone that has used a 12V AC to 5 volt DC converter. There are hundreds of them on ebay and alibaba, but i’m sure of vastly varying quality.

Are you sure it’s AC on the 12v side as 12v AC is unusual.

1 Like

12 volt AC isn’t unusual for non LED landscape lighting.

Being in Canada where temperatures are between -40 deg C and +35 deg C throughout the year, I’m volunteer to be a beta tester if you ever need one.

Get this thing out, guys! Wyze outdoor camera ought to have been released before Smart Sense because Wyze is first a smart home camera company. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and would be happy to test it in -50 °C

I had a thought the other day. Why are we being asked to help identify vehicles in the beta program, for indoor cameras?

From a more security minded perspective…

• would like POE as an option as it is far more reliable power source (without all the tradeoffs being made when using batteries e.g partial / incomplete motion detection recording due to sleep wakeup issues)

• wifi at current tech is still not as stable as wired as convenient as it may be.

• also for a significant number of location placements, it will be better to not have the inconvenience of changing batteries. Also true when gifting wyze cams to some elderly folks who may have some challenges with climbing up ladders safely.

Interview folks who have had intruders break into their homes & you will have a much clearer sense of what the priorities are. Else unfortunately it’ll just be a fun camera.

2 Likes

probably because they’re “indoor” cameras but a lot of people seem to use them outdoors (with some type of case to protect the camera) anyway.

1 Like

I have my two v2 cameras placed inside in inconspicuous windows pointing out into yard, including street/driveway. I would very much like to expand my detection zone and limit event notifications to when a person is detected, as opposed to drive-by vehicles.

1 Like

Agree - PoE a must for outdoor cams.

1 Like

Perhaps for your applications, I need a camera I can put out on a trail to monitor movement.

I’m sorry, we don’t have much of an update yet. We are still working on the hardware and it’s not in testing yet. We’re making progress but this is a difficult product to develop so it’s a bit of a slog.

2 Likes

The battery situation can be alleviated by also including a power in socket that can be powered from a plug in transformer. That works for both indoor and outdoor solutions without too much change to the cameras.

I agree POE would be nice, but then again, cost aside, how many people who are Wyze customers are Wyze customers because they wanted a cheap simple solution? Just playing devils advocate here. Maybe the anwser might be 2 versions - a standard cam on wifi and an advanced cam on poe. The issue as I see it with poe is it puts Wyze up against Dahua and Hikvision etc, unless Wyze can provide the same quality for substantially less money, in which case they’re entering a new market.

The big issues I see for Wyze atm are reliability (of Wifi connection) and image quality. The recent video posted by a user in another thread was very “smudged” and of comparatively poor quality. (Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) - #634 by DeanSmith). The 1st step to getting above the other cheap priced competition is going to be to get the quality approaching main steam cctv products whilst maintaining the low price point. It’s difficult to say the cause of the smudging in those examples, but it looks very much like the compression. I’m guessing either the bit rate was very very low (by CCTV stanadards) or the encoding settings / algorithm was poor. Either way, it needs addressing, as something like a camera is judged by it’s image quality and whilst price always plays a part, ultimately, people will place weight to the image because without a clear image, you have no evidence.

For an outdoor cam, even a higher MP sensor might be nice, although the issues here are night performance. The reason I favour more MP is simply because distance to the lens can be an issue with an outside camera and again that affects recognisably and thus the usefulness of the camera.

However, at the budget end, I think it may be near impossible for Wyze to get a hold of a higher MP sensor that’s also good in low light. Even the commercial guys such as Dahua are only just about to launch these as new product lines. The defacto quality standard is still the 2mp “Starvis” sensors.

I ended up getting a different outdoor camera. My dad used the 3rd party cover and the IR was not good at all. Maybe I’ll look into wyze outdoor when it officially comes out but I needed something trust worthy. I’d definitely would be a beta tester for the product if/when it comes out. I still have a few places that need a camera setup. I love all the indoor wyze cameras I have!!