Odd behavior using Wyze Plug

I have several Wyze plugs that are plugged into both wall outlets and power strips. They all function just fine. The possible exception being one that runs a fan and is plugged into the same power strip as my living room TV. When I turn the fan off via either Alexa or directly via the Wyze app the TV blinks. It does not loose track of what it was playing just blinks.

The plug is not hot or otherwise showing any signs of stress. The outlet strip is drawing approximately 15-20 amps with everything on including the TV. So the circuit is not overloaded. 40 amp breaker. Any ideas why the blip?

I am using this strip. AmazonBasics 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector | 4,320 Joule, 8-Foot Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPF72BZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PCxBEbS0M0JK1


1 Like

Just curious - what type of 110v home circuit has a 40 amp breaker? That’s way over amped for most standard 110 circuit wire, at least in my old-house jack-leg experience. 20 is the Max I’ve run into for standard use.
If you are pushing 20 amps on your strip you are at the edge of max for what I’m used to.
Also- just decided to look at your strip before posting. It has a 15 amp internal breaker. Could be you are’ tickling’ it but not enough for a full blown reset.

Sorry. but that’s a nasty looking power strip. Besides being a software engineer of 20+ years, the certified electrician says, “that’s too much stuff”. Power strips should be outlawed.

Put the TV on it’s own dedicated circuit and do the same with the fan.

Possibly an electric oven (40-50) or clothes dryer (usu 30, but could be 40) … “it all depends on the appliance’s requirements” : )

That was a typo it’s a 30 amp. My fat fingers on a small keyboard. My breaker panel was replaced with dual CAFCI type breakers and a new box and all new copper as opposed to aluminum wiring. Had the whole place rewired following an almost fire from bad wiring. Breakers are all 20, 30, and 3 50 amp dual breakers. So what used to be 15 became 20, what used to be 20 became 30.

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s not possible to give everything it’s own circuit. In that one are the TV, Apple TV, Sound Bar, FireTV stick, 8 port Ethernet switch and a Hue Hub. I did move the fan. :upside_down_face:

But that’s part of the reason the house was rewired. Energy demands today far outstrip what was standard in the 70’s.

I actually think something was wrong with the fan. Moving it dropped the draw quite a bit. (It usually runs all day and is switched off at night.)

I’m impressed! We actually did have a fire years ago, due to knob and tube wiring. He in-laws still have aluminum- I sleep lightly when we stay there.
Thought the 40 amp might be a typo, but I didn’t expect such a rewire. . Glad you got it figured out.

1 Like

We had original (cheap) breakers from the late 60’s early 70’s when we bought the condo along with aluminum wiring. And I did a stint as an electricians helper in Florida after I got out of the service.

One thing the journeyman pounded into my head was Aluminum wiring means a fire sometime in the future. Also exceed code by 50% and the house or building might actually be usable. Plus think about where you lived in the 70’s and what typical electrical loads were like. Then look around your house now.

1 Like