No wifi and tiny battery

I needed to monitor activity in vacant house with no wifi. My solution so far is to start at home, set up that camera (with micro sd card) powered by a Inland 5200ma battery, plugged into the charger. After I activate the phone, I unplug the charger, drive to the new location, plug in the charger and keep recording. I can check the card or exchange cards anytime later. It is working great so far.
However, if I ever lose power to the camera, I have to go back home and start over. Is there a better solution?

1 Like

you could use a hotspot from a mobile provider.

confirmed it works here

2 Likes

Great idea. It hadn’t occurred to me.

2 Likes

it always amazes me browsing these forums how many things I simply didn’t think of even though it seems to be right there and common sense in hindsight . that’s what we are here for :slight_smile:

I don’t use a hotspot and never have had the need, but keep in mind if you can set up the credentials as the same as your home wifi it will seamlessly connect at either location without the need to set the entire camera up again when going back and forth if you happen to need to.

2 Likes

Hotspot is one way, but you still may need battery backup for both, Some (not all) of the small powerbanks will operate like a micro-ups. You can leave them plugged in to mains power charging and plug a cam into them. Or just buy a small ups.

Hi, I have the same issue at my cabin. In order to run a security system there and because it’s not my primary home, I studied up on how cars, buses and motor homes have wifi. Turns out they have a wifi router that uses a sim card like in a phone or tablet. This is what I bought and hooked up my Wyze components to. KuWFi 4G Router If you want to enable the home so you have private wifi, I would recommend you use a tablet unlimited data sim card so your guests can have wifi access without data restrictions. If you only need to transmit your Wyze security data a simple sim card from a cell phone will work. The cell provider will think your using your cell phone as a “hot spot” and cap data, which is usually only as high as 20 gigs. There are many of these types of routers out there but you should only be spending about $125 or so on it.

1 Like