Next-gen Wyze Cam (v5) Ideas

Anyone working on a corner can out there? Most house have right angles, for great coverage you need three cams…I would love a 270 degree camera. I think other people would to. Thought???

It would be nice to build a camera that includes a solar charging panel on the top of the camera, rather than an add-on solar panel.

Just wondering if you guys can create some kinda battery backup for the Wyze v3 camera. For example, when there’s a power outage so it continues to record?

Record to where? The cloud? If there’s a power outage, the cloud route is also out, unless your modem and router are also on battery backup.

Support daisychaining multiple Wyze Cams for power. This way I only need to connect one Wyze Cam to power and the rest of the cams just get the power from the daisy chain cable. It is a much cleaner and easier installation, especially you are trying to hook up the whole house.

1 Like

If you added more than 1 camera to the chain, the voltage drops would be horrendous.

But allowing one would be nuice :slight_smile:

A small uninterrupted power supply (UPS) would work and could be connected by someone who knew what they were doing, if you had a low-voltage distribution system. Not complicated. Could be done if you have a substantial system. I do, but it is a custom install since it’s so large. Ask if you want component tips. But it’s whole-house hard wired low voltage.

That is probably and end-user thing without making the cameras large enough to house a battery. It could be done. But the camera size/cost will suffer.

Can use low voltage distribution. Voltage drop would be too great for parallel wired at low voltage. If you’re interested in the equipment ai spec’d let me know. I have hard wire low voltage distribution. Works like a champ.

You want to spend all that money on power infrastructure, then buy the cheapest cameras? OK.

1 Like

Daisy chain cameras for connectivity

An expensive competitor is doing this…

I just ran across a Kickstarter for a $300 camera. I currently have 12 wyze v3 cams up and running. I use them at home and then there’s a set used for neighborhood watch.

This other camera has an 18650 battery in it, that supposedly will last a year and also can be charged by a solar panel on top of the camera. I don’t really care about the LED lights it has but it also have a central hub that the cameras have to be within 100m of, That’s a pretty good distance. Even better is it if one of the cameras can’t reach the hub but can reach another camera you can keep putting cameras 100 m out without needing another hub. The hub itself has connectivity and storage options and the whole thing runs on a private network and doesn’t need the internet.

Power and connectivity are the two things people struggle with when placing their cameras. If you can put a network of them across a large area and only need one hub that’s pretty awesome. No idea how hard it would be to do that with wyze cams. My Google nest wifi devices also can be daisy chained without all of the extenders needing to reach the base router. However if it’s going to cost $300 per camera please don’t do it.

HeliosCam: Wireless 4K x 3 Panoramic Security Camera, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/764574667/helioscam-wireless-4k-x-3-panoramic-security-camera?ref=android_project_share

2 Likes

Huh, they seem a bit ungainly to me. The use of radar in addition to PIR sensing is interesting. I have serious reservations about battery life. $300 isn’t outrageous but it sure is high. Their claim of “double encryption” is concerning.

Considering they apparently have three 4K cameras, along with the other features, that really doesn’t seem to be a bad price. Have you checked the pricing on a single 4K wireless outdoor camera (much less one with battery power and a solar panel)?

As to ideas for the next generation of Wyze camera, I would like to see someone do a wired data connection to the a connection module (either incorporated with the power adapter up seperate). This would mean people that want Ethernet connections can use that, while people that want to use WiFi can use that, and potentially have the WiFi antenna in a better location (or even have the option to purchase a dual band module or upgrade to one later).

Yup, agreed, that’s why I said it’s not outrageous for what you get. Although the price is actually $400 at present. That 3rd camera seems ill advised to me - for the majority of applications it will be facing the mounting wall. But they get an A for effort, trying to do something a little different.

Mounted on a pole, however, 360 is great. I have a couple of pan/tilt cameras (which for various reasons I haven’t gotten mounted yet), but they can’t do a true 360 even when panning, as the mount for the camera itself is in the way.

I guess if it proves to be commercially successful they could always do a cost reduced 2 camera version later, but for most of those situations, two separate cameras might work almost as well or better, depending on the situation.

I’m curious how far the range of the radar is as “mm wave” in a consumer device typically means 60 GHz, like Google’s Soli sensor.

Back on the Wyze v4 ideas, I would love to see a camera that when motion is detected takes a very high resolution still (at least 12MP) along with the video. For that matter, having the option to just do a sequence of high-res stills instead of video. Sometimes detail is more important that seeing something in motion, and sensors for high resolution stills aren’t terribly expensive.

That’s a great point. It’s especially a consideration when paying for the additional cloud or local storage required for higher resolution recordings. Your idea sounds like a great compromise. Take a few periodic high res images but revert to 1080 video recording.

I think including somehow on the next version v4 or on any camera for it to be able to detect temperature someone like me living in canada our winters are cold and if it’s rated to -4 I could know when to bring it in and monitoring green houses so many different applications

1 Like

I love your Cam V3 because it’s an indoor/outdoor camera that’s tiny and mighty. The quality of the video is spectacular. I only wish that it came with a lithium backup battery to mitigate power outages. :pray:t4:

1 Like

An external battery backup that works with any USB device up to 2 amps (so it would also work with the Pan) would be an easy solution, and also be useful for many non-Wyze devices.

I have a device like that I purchased on Amazon, but while it does the job, the design is lacking. Instead of simply plugging into USB and providing a USB port of its own, it replaces the existing cable, and is shorter than most.

I am setting up a Wyze cam in my attic to keep an eye on the one space in my house that I hardly go into.
I have a traditional hip style roof and thought "Wouldn’t it be great if I had a camera that I could place in the center and see all sides at once.

So my wishlist item would be a 360 view camera that I could place in the center of a space (like my attic) and capture all angles of my attic.
This would be great for folks that want to keep an eye on their attic (like me), garage, or other spaces.

[Mod Note]: This is a merged Wishlist submission. Remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button. You may also wish to vote for “Suggestions for Pan Cam 2.0”.

1 Like

The 360 cam sounds great in theory. In practice, the image is so warped that in the dark it would be useless. You should try the new pan cam. Try it and send it back if it doesn’t pan out.