New wyze-lamp-socket

Is the power cord included with the socket the only power cord that will work? I installed 2 sockets and 1 V3. Everything worked fine, but the cord that came with the socket is too short for where I need to install the V3. I shut everything down properly in the app, replaced the “socket cord” with a V3 power cord, and now the V3 works, but the app is not picking up the sockets. What gives?! I tried the setup several times to include deleting the V3, removing the 2 sockets, and starting all over. No luck!

Welcome to the user-to-user forum, @Brilliant_Knight! :slight_smile:

The power cord that comes with the socket is special in that it is a data cable, not just a power cable. The V3 AC adapter cords are only power cables. You need the data lines to control the socket.

Good news is any data cable with the correct connectors will do.

So what you’re telling me is that the original V3 power cord won’t work and I’m screwed on where I can install the camera in relation to the socket? That makes no sense.

The socket comes with the required cable. If you want to extend that, then you need to buy a cable that suits your specific needs. Just make sure it is a data cable with the proper connectors. :slight_smile:

But I’m using a cable from Wyze. Wyze doesn’t sell a “data” cable. I shouldn’t have to buy a 3rd-party “data” cable either.

The V3 does not require a data cable to get power from the AC adapter, so they ship a power-only cable to keep costs down. The socket includes the cable it requires.

Again, makes no sense. Everything I see on here talks about WiFi and Bluetooth. There should be no need for data to stream across a cable. Highly disappointing design flaw.

The socket is accessory and there have been plenty of locations that report it as a being serially connected. That means data is required. I agree it stinks that a “special” cable is needed. Although, it’s not unexpected.

Can you use Alexa to turn on the light that is in the socket? I know you can do it through the v3 camera in the Wyze app but that is kind of a pain to now turn on a light.

I haven’t been able to find a way to do this either. But I’d love to hear if anyone else has an option. Seems like it should be a moderately easy thing for Wyze to add to the Cam 3 software, along with motion and sound detection buttons.

Is it possible to control the Cam Spotlight independently of the bulb to which the socket is attached? i.e. can I set the bulb for dusk to dawn, and the spotlight for motion detection?

I have an nonessential v3 camera powered by the wyze bulb socket. The v3 is on the “edge” of my WiFi range and works 98%of the time. Occasionally it loses WiFi and the reconnects with a outages ranging between 5 to 10 minutes.

My issue is that when it automatically reconnects to the WiFi, the blub sockets default to “on”.
I would prefer the bulb sockets default to “off” or be able to configure the default.

Also it would be nice if the bulb sockets would work like the Ac plugs and be have “turn of after on for 5 mins”

Did you get the Wyze Lamp Socket and the Wyze Spotlight to work on the same Wyze Cam V3? I can’t get mine to connect to both at the same time. Is there a trick to get them to both work?

1 Like

We are having the same issue. Any luck?

I believe only one can work at a time?

How much wattage does this unit draw? I would have to turn on a light which is normally off and I don’t want to get a surprise bill. Now that gas is almost $8 in California

@mwark I’m curious what solution you ended up going with. I’m also in Europe.

@Newshound is this really the case though that the socket isn’t usable in EU here? I’ve got 4 Wyze Cam v3s on the way to me here in Europe and was planning to use the Wyze Lamp Socket as my solution in 3 of the spots. I also saw someone on another forum either on Amazon or Reddit say that even though Wyze officially doesn’t recommend it, that it did work for him.

It should also be noted that officially bulb sizes E26 (US) and E27 (European) are interchangeable and can be used in one anothers’ continent.

So is it the case that if i was to plug the USB directly from the Wyze Lamp Socket to the Wyze camera that I’d fry the Wyze camera, even though a normal European E27 bulb would work? I saw the power adapter that comes with the cameras area apparently rated 110-240v, meaning I can use those here perfectly fine (with the basic plug adapter).

No solution. It’s a showstopper.

Thanks for getting back. Terrible short-sighted decision by Wyze, if considering their longer-term plans too for availability in the EU.

So I continued investigating and these appear to be a similar solution to the Wyze Lamp Socket, although a bit more pricy,: https://www.amazon.com/Power-LampCharger-Adapter-Charging-Station/dp/B07P9SDHRY.

Plus the shipping and EU tax we’ll have to pay. But I’ve just ordered 3 of them. While they’re sub-branded by this NYCE business, they’re developed by a company called Intertek Group PLC, which is a global consumer and B2B electronics developer. If you look at the Q&As on the Amazon listing, the seller confirms that it does work in Europe.

To further confirm, I found a YouTube video LampCharger Light Bulb Socket Adapter Socket Dual 2 USB Tablet Phone Charging Ports Tablet Phone - YouTube where you can see stamped on the device it’s rated for 100-240v.

While I won’t have the 100% tie-in to be able to control the light bulb on/off from the Wyze app, I’ll still have full control of the cameras from it and the easy solution for the bulb part will be to just pick up a dusk/dawn bulb.

I hope this helps at least you and some others who may be frustrating themselves trying to find the solution, despite living in Europe, where electronic innovation like this is traditionally 10-15 years behind.