My camera is notified of an "event," but I hear no audible alert

Hi SlabSlayer!

Sure: The server is the big unknown determining everything in Wyze land. Another case in point: I’ve read that the software that determines what shapes are – persons, cars, etc – will soon be a thing of the past – until Wyze comes up with its own AI. Good luck with that!

Slabslayer, I’ve learned so much from you – much more than I’ve ever gleaned from the scant documentation in Wyze itself. Even one of the “Wizards” to whom I’ve spoken didn’t seem to know half of what I’ve learned from you.

I’m supposing that SlabSlayer is not your first name, But I’ll continue to call you that, since I’m sure you must have your own good reasons for styling yourself so.

All the very best,

[Mod Edit]: Signature block has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

1 Like

Not really sure where you read that. May have been old posts when they switched from contract licensed AI software to 100% in house programming. The AI is currently 100% Wyze programmed software on Wyze Servers. They even recently developed their own cam based Person Detection Edge AI that has been implemented on the V3Pro.

SlabSlayer is my “Screen Name” that I use exclusively in my online Wyze Communities. It is also the name of my boat. My profile has the name Chris P. Crappie… A reference to how I like my target fish cooked. I prefer to keep names in any public forum private. There are too many data miners out there putting together identity profiles from things posted on the interwebs.

I’m glad I could be of assistance. There are many more highly knowledgeable users here in the forum that I go to for help. Keep coming back and browsing the categories or searching the posts. There is usually someone who can help you with a problem or answer a question.

Hi SlabSlayer

You wrote that you were not sure where I read that an app used by Wyze for AI recognition has been purchased by Apple.

Please check out the article linked below:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/15/21067594/apple-acquires-xnor-ai-wyze-camera-people-detection-feature

That’s where I read it.But now that I look at it carefully, the link is dated 2020. That would explain a lot!

Paul

Yeah, that was back when they were legally licensed to use that software, The Evil Fruit Empire bought it for the sole purpose of strangling everybody else out and terminated all the use licenses. Wyze made their own instead which is what they use now.

Dear Slabslayer,

Not long after I got – with your help – my new rule to work, something very interesting happened. It was at about 3:30 PM, well before sundown, I got an alert: The system alerted me to the motion of a squirrel. I told this to Carol, my wife, who said,“that’s very strange. I thought we were interested only in people.”

Eureka! She had found it: I had told my system that I was interested in all motion including that of persons. What I should have told it was that sure I was interested in motion – but only if the thing moving was a PERSON. I wasn’t interested in cars or animals or the fluttering of leaves or anything else that wasn’t a person. To make it work, i increased the sensitivity almost to the max. Plus, I wouldn’t need the rule that I had struggled over, so I disabled it. I also disabled the detection zone, since everything that camera saw belonged either to Carol and me, or to the city. Everything it saw was automatically in the zone! Of course, that was always true, but I felt I needed the detection zone in the vain effort to block the oncoming headlights. For the other camera, I did the same things for the same reasons.

And it seems to WORKI Yeah, it alerts me to people going for a walk on the edge of the road, which bothers me not a whit – during the day. But if people are around when it’s dark I sure as hell want to know about it! In the last 30 hours or so, I have been alerted only to the presence of PERSONS. Hurray!

I reallze that these are early days. If a wrinkle turns up, I’ll be sure to let you knowl

In the Talmud, it says “No matter how short your wife happens to be, you should always bend down to listen to her.”

Amen!

[Mod Edit]: Signature block has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

1 Like

It sounds like you are making great progress with your cams. There are so many settings that can affect performance. Most users are expecting plug and play performance from every cam to be the same. Because each cam has a different view of the world, they all have to be tuned individually. And, like a fine sports car, they have to constantly be fine tuned.

I am curious. What firmware version are your cams running? There are some new settings coming out in the new firmware that make a significant difference in the relationship between Recorded Events and Event Notifications.

I’m running 4.36.10.2700 in both cams. My app says that’s up to date (for what that’s worth).

There was one release past 2700, but it has been halted for problems.

2700 was also halted for issues, but it was the first version on the V3 to have the ability to record only AI events and also to modify notifications by AI type.

So you have the latest and greatest.

THANKS!

1 Like

Hi SlabSlayer

Does 2700 STILL have issues? Wyze has “paused” the successor to 2700, which – if I understand you – may still have problems.

My son works in QA (Quality Assurance)… He works for a bank which cannot afford bugs.in procedures or software, His job is to reduce chances of bugs. It turns out that there is a science to QA. Seth’s experience is in finance and investments, and he applies the science of QA to his area of expertise. I’m wondering if WYZE has anyone like that working for them . QA people tend to be expensive (I know Seth is very well paid) but experts in QA can save a company a lot of money! If WYZE doesn’t have a QA person working for them, They might consider taking one on – someone with expertise in the field of security cameras.

I am not sure why it was pulled from the update list but it was taken out of the public release versions on the Release Notes & Firmware Updates page when version .2864 was released, which does have issues that are currently being fixed.

I ran .2700 during Beta testing and it ran fine for me. All of mine are currently on .2864

Wyze does have QA, however IoT tech competition is currently operating at maximum Warp Speed. The drive to innovate and release new hardware and features to stay ahead or at least keep up is paramount to survival. Even the big tech giants have issues with their new devices and software.

1 Like

GOTCHA!

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.