Meteor Flash? Where’s my sky looking friends?

@todwatts @Bam @mvb

So I was going through events last night and caught this… best video I have is the first as you can see the reflection in the cars, was there a meteorite over Indiana last night? I know some of you have links to trackers for these. I took down my camera pointing up because of some back yard projects I have been doing and this is the best I got.

10 Likes

I thought I saw a little boy running across the field and heard a woman yelling, “Barry! BARRY!”.

5 Likes

Holy cow! That was what we call a bolide. Basically a fireball. It exploded and broke up as it entered Earth’s atmosphere. I’m going to take an educated guess on the reflection and colors I saw in the windshields and say that it was high in nickel content which is a very very good sign that it was an iron nickel meteor. A pretty common meteor but awesome nonetheless.

And looking at the American meteorological society fireball log which keeps a running tally of fireballs they’re trajectory and witness sightings it looks like you are dead on the money. A lot of people saw it and reported it and although it’s locked in universal time the time matches up with the time on your cameras. Using your videos I might even be able to calculate a better trajectory and get a good idea of where it may have fallen.

Might have to look at this later and see where the estimated strewn field is… Time for me to go get my metal detector out :slight_smile:

I was actually at a rock store yesterday and noticed they had a rock for sale labeled as a meteorite

They had their expert for meteorites come in and check get out while I was there and it turns out that I was correct. Just a piece of iron slag. So if nothing else I know what to look for if I go out hunting LOL

10 Likes

Thanks @Bam!
Thought maybe a helicopter with a spot light flashing then I noticed the reflection on the cars.

Wish I hadn’t taken down my skyward camera :rage:. That’s how it goes sometimes. I bet that was a sight and would appear as if it broke up right over me :sob:

Guess I’ll just keep looking for these

No camera needed

6 Likes

Magnificent! That must have been close to the ground, because living a couple hours north of you I saw nothing at the same time on any of my cameras. I need to take a couple unused V3s and point them at the sky, lol.

So in what direction was it traveling? Maybe someone can still come up with a secondary video. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Appears to have come from the West South West to North East.

Where I am 30 min North West of Indianapolis.

3 Likes

LOTS of sightings and other videos. Mapping looks like it went right over you.

6 Likes

Wow, such a cool blue color lighting up everything!

2 Likes

That is almost as good as if the camera was pointed straight up. I saw a post on the FB Core page for the same meteor. It was also a video of the light moving across the lawn.

I took my SkyCam down too. Right now it’s monitoring a mouse trap in the motorhome in the driveway.

3 Likes

This sounds like a parable or metaphor for something. From searching the heavens to looking at trapped rodents.

3 Likes

And right toward me :slight_smile:

I might have to research this one considerably more.

Being a freshly fallen meteorite they would probably have fusion crust on them but I would keep my eyes open, those lighter ones can fall rather quickly so if you were anywhere underneath the trail there’s a good chance there’s a meteor on the ground somewhere.

Here are a couple examples without the fusion crust.

Never know what you might find on a walk.

10 Likes

But which of those is more likely to give you benign radioactive superpowers?

8 Likes

LOL No, it is quite literal. When I took The Beast out of storage this year, I noticed that mice had created a couple nests.

So I set up a couple of traps and cameras to watch them.

There hasn’t been any activity so far. They probably just set up in there for the winter.

3 Likes

Tais-toi, je suis occupé.

3 Likes

That 401st blow was a doozy.

3 Likes

Those were cool. I have two videos i like to share but it will not let because I’m a new user. When can i upload these videos?

2 Likes

To move up in forum trust levels new/existing users need to read posts and topics, spend time in the forums, commenting and liking. Your numbers are fairly close to automatically upping your trust level, but I’ve upped your level so you can show your videos now. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank so very much. I greatly appreciate that.

3 Likes

Heres two videos from February the 10th first one was V3 cam on the street the second one in my east facing window

8 Likes

Oops I uploaded the wrong way.

1 Like