EDIT: As some of you may have already heard, MaxDrive has been cancelled due to the partnership falling through. We are still planning to have NAS capability in the future but that feature will be delayed after this. We’re sorry about this and we’ll keep you updated as we make progress on a new solution.
We’ve been receiving questions about MaxDrive and we’re getting closer to the launch time. We wanted to take the time to answer some of the questions you’ve had and talk about how MaxDrive works with Wyze.
What is it?
MaxDrive is a personal cloud device that will allow you to backup footage from your Wyze Cam and files from your personal devices (phone, tablet, or personal computer) and access the data from anywhere.
How does it work?
- Wyze Cam Footage
- Link a Wyze Cam using the Wyze app
- View the saved footage as Playback through the Wyze App
- Personal Data (Pictures, Video, Music, and Documents)
- Backup mobile devices using the MaxDrive mobile app (Android/iOS)
- Backup personal computers using the MaxDrive desktop app (PC/Mac)
What are the specs?
- Enclosure Specs
- Internet Connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet Port x1
- Drive Connection: SATA 3.0 x1
- Processor: Marvell ARMADA Dual-core 1.0 GHz
- RAM: 512MB
- Internal Drive
- Supports up to 12TB drives
- Supports 2.5” & 3.5” SATA 3.0 HDD & SSD internal drives
What you need to know before getting started:
- Supported Wyze Devices:
- Wyze Cam v2
- Wyze Cam Pan
- Wyze Cam backup requires a microSD card to be in the selected camera.
- MaxDrive does not come with an internal drive and one is required for use of this product.
- Computer backup is performed through the MaxDrive desktop app.
Want to be a tester?
Information on becoming a Beta tester can be found here: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014108531-Become-a-Beta-Tester
There is currently a wait list for hardware testing. But if you are interested in testing Wyze hardware in the future, please sign up.
I look forward to chatting with everyone!
Update 4/16: We’re going to do an AMA for the MaxDrive by Wyze. This AMA will be scheduled from 1PM to 2PM PST on Friday the 19th. We would like to gather questions in advance in case you aren’t able to make it and to make sure we are getting to answer as many questions as possible.
Send us your questions here: https://forms.gle/WRkQ1USLYFzfcM197
We’ve got some unfortunate news for those that were interested in MaxDrive. MaxDrive is being delayed from the targeted Q2 release date and we are currently uncertain of how long the delay will be.
As many of you know, at Wyze we focus on building great products efficiently. To do this, we leverage resources from global partners when possible.
Our partner for MaxDrive has faced an unexpected delay that requires them to shift their resources.
We’ll continue to work on features that will allow you to store videos locally to a NAS drive and keep you updated as the project develops with Max Drive or a new solution.
I will be catching up on replies to this forum post throughout the day to get everyone’s questions answered!