Landscape View For Tablets

Well boys and girls they are working on a half a decade

2 Likes

With software life cycles of <3 years being typical, it makes perfect sense to wait, doesn’t it? lol.

In some fairness to Wyze, you really can’t compare development on a Roku with a Linux-based OS to developing for iOS. Also, iOS seems to have had various issues with the viewport-orientation recognition over the years; seems like 16 even adds an issue.

That said, if I were the SA for Wyze, knowing that Apple is an important customer base to service, I would make sure I had iOS devs, either internal or external if you can’t hire them, to support the customer base. And in no world is a 4+ year dev cycle acceptable.

2 Likes

Not seeing any differences here on my iPad Pro with ios 16.

Same here, iPad Pro 12,iPadOS 16.1

I sure have. And this is HUGE!!! The app now works vertically in landscape mode, and you can switch camera views between smaller vertical in landscape and full landscape without taking your iPad out of the stand. The trick is, you have to enable Stage Manager (which takes a little getting used to.)

Once you have the app open in stage manager, Use the little quarter circle marking in the lower right corner of a window in which a camera or cameras is/are open to expand to full landscape or shrink to vertical format. If you try to do it to a non-camera window, it stays in vertical format but just hides or shows the dock. The manual rotation button in the upper right corner of a full screen landscape camera view become non-functioning (and is not needed).

I’m running the beta app, but I would think all of this would apply to the production app as well.

EDIT: confirmed this works in the production app as well as beta.

5 Likes

I had to engage the great google to find out what this feature is that you speak of:

Interesting… checking it the feature now, thank you for sharing!

SJ

4 Likes

@milehiguy I’ll comment in your new thread, but you are correct. With Stage Manager off, you can’t get out of landscape without physically rotating the iPad or force quitting the app. BUT… (see my post above), with Stage Manager turned on, we now have full landscape functionality without reading the app sideways.

2 Likes

Tried it and so far the only difference I see is that the opening screen, the one that shows all devices, can be viewed in landscape. Using the little partial circle does rotate a single camera view to lansdcape, but that is - and has been possible - with just the app. Have you been able to display more than one camera feed in landscape. It is entirely possible that I am missing something.
Thanks for your post.

That’s exactly what people have been requesting.

You are - that feature has been available in the regular old Wyze app for several years now. Add cameras to a group and open the group.

1 Like

Ah, I see. That is not what I thought I have been asking for though. I was asking for a multi-camera view that avoided using the clunky groups function - which is less than pleasant in my experience. I suppose it is big of Apple to partially help out with apps that are not well designed - and I appreciate that help, but in the end I’d still prefer landscape being built in to the app.

1 Like

If you want to see multiple cameras on one page without the need for grouping, have you tried Live View? Wyze Live View

Asking as it provides all valid cameras in one place for your viewing. It does require Cam Plus, but this week it is not required, so you can at least see it.

Another app individuals use is Tiny Cam.

1 Like

Forgive me (us) for not getting excited. re: stage manager. Yawn.

Wyze can constantly bring new hardware with better technology but they (the executive team) are still too ignorant to figure out they need smarter developers who know how to implement landscape. Stop recruiting from r/kinder-coders. Hell, Google “how to rotate app in landscape”. That would get you more than what you’ve given us in the past 4-5 years.

I find it patronizing for mods to come say ‘it’s too hard’. Just stop talking already. It was better when we could see through the lies of ‘they are looking into it’.

With my bad math, it’s prob safe to assume every app ever developed is able to rotate in landscape, except the one by Wyze (then there’s the hidden remote control car app, inside the camera app, that is designed for landscape). Wyze is purposefully CHOOSING to not add this very well documented issue.

This has been requested for YEARS. Y E A R S!!!
It’s not a difficulty issue, it’s a choice. Wyze is choosing to ignore this.

For Wyze mods to get excited that an unaffiliated app can now allow the Wyze app to rotate…. seriously?! That’s pathetic and honestly nauseating.

Just fix the freaking app.

When we finally break up, it’s not us, it really is YOU!

2 Likes

That does not work on v1 cameras

While in Stage Manager view on my iPad Pro 12.9 3rd gen in Landscape, I opened a group to view multiple camera’s. While in that view , I was able to toggle between one camera view and multiple camera view. By dragging that lower right hand corner, I was able to go full screen, and actually get return to the apps full devices view. Not completely intuitive, but I didn’t have to rotate my device or force close to get back to the full device view.

Clunky still yes, I do still want a Wyze provided natively aware of this thing called Landscape, but this will at least let me use the Wyze App on my Landscape / keyboard attached iPad until that happens.

One issue I do have is the text and icons in the Wyze App on the iPad Pro 12.9" are SMALLER than the same on my iPhone 12 Pro Max

SJ

Am new to iPadOS 16.1 and although I’ve heard of Stage Manager, I’ve not used it. Will follow up. Thanks.

1 Like

Yes I have. With the home screen shown in Stage Manager (taking up the middle part of the screen and displayed vertically), tap a camera group. You should see the app footprint remain in portrait and the cameras stacked above each other. Now grab the lower right corner of the camera stack and drag it to the right edge of the screen. The display will now be full screen landscape with the cameras in a quad (as if you had rotated a phone from portrait to landscape). Sometimes the little quarter circle arc in the lower right corner shows, sometimes it doesn’t. But it still works even if it doesn’t show.

1 Like

Just a reminder that the mods are not employees. Just fellow users like yourself. I am happy to now not have to crank my neck or take my iPad out of the stand, even if that wasn’t the result of a redesign by Wyze.

That said, Wyze has admitted that poor design of the current app (v2) has made it no possible to develop full landscape support within that framework. It has to wait for v3 of the app, which is planned. But no timeframe has been released.

2 Likes

Thanks Loki. Appreciate your work. Not sure how long you’ve been a mod. Wyze has been been saying just as you repeat here for at least the last 3-4 years. That explanation kind of loses its value over time.

Thanks @dbtoo. I’ve been a mod for over four years. I know this is frustrating. It’s frustrating for me too. I have used every opportunity I have to stress the importance of this issue within the company.

Something we have to understand, though: Wyze’s business model does not provide for a huge software development staff that some other companies might have. The downside is that things can take longer, sometimes much longer, than you might expect. But the upside is we get very capable (although not perfect) products at a fantastic price point. There are just some things that take priority for the limited resources over a complete app rewrite. I am hopeful that we’ll get it one of these days. If I hear anything about timelines that I can share publicly, I will certainly post it.

2 Likes