Seems like unless I can somehow convince wyze support to get me replacement cameras (way outside warranty) I’ll have to use the RTSP functionality from the new firmware to record from them on a local server, doing myself what they should be able to do internally.
I think a lot of SD card issues tend to get lumped together. The people who have cams that suddenly stopped recognizing SD cards completely may be one issue, and others with intermittent issues might be unrelated normal hardware failures. But who knows, maybe they are just different degrees of the same issue.
I suspect we’re seeing a bad batch (perhaps a fairly large one) combined with normal failures mixed together. SD card chipsets are very sensitive to power issues, moisture, and heat over time. It may be that some people are seeing SD card slots/chips dying from environmental/power problems while others are seeing a bad batch of chips.
This is all just guesswork but given the different symptoms mixed with others who have had no issues at all, I don’t think there is one single smoking gun.
If you haven’t already, try a different power adapter and even cable if possible. If you’re using a long USB cable, try a short/stock one at least for a short time for testing. Power issues can definitely cause the SD symptoms you’re seeing so always worth ruling that out.
The Panv3 I have that is now a “spare” became that way because it was mounted upside down under an eave and still managed to get water in it. They really aren’t waterproof when upside down unless there is a cover directly over it. In my case it resulted in the cam refusing to boot or running for a bit then locking up. I replaced it with a right side up one, and for the heck of it, left it in a bag of rice for 2 days. It now functions perfectly fine, at least for 2-5 days at a time when I travel. It never had any SD card issues but certainly possible that water could get into that area if upside down.