I stop updating my cameras.... to risky. 2 dead ones again

First I am a Wyze fan and ordered more cams to replace what I lost,
I appreciate the economics and understand that you get what you pay for, so In the past I lost a couple cameras after updates and let it slide… but this last update I lost 2, and wasted a lot off time recovering, reinstalling 2 others. For the bricked ones, none of the reset procedures or firmware resets were possible.
Bottom line as long as it works I will never update a camera again…

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that I do not have that problem yet and I hope that I do not.

Could you expand on what you mean by “lost” and “bricked”? And how many do you run?
I’m usually running about a dozen cams or so, all Beta, at 2 sites 900 miles apart. Most are inside, 5 are outside. In the last two months I’ve had 3 go offline at the site with slow net (< 1Mb upload), one for about two weeks. Reliability at a distance is important to me.
I do make a point to not upgrade without physical access,

2 Likes

I have 12 cameras, 4 bulbs and 4 plugs in 3 locations , the cameras are in groups of 4 on UPS power supplies and their own Wifi routers fed from fiber (they never disconnect or run out of power).
All cams record permanently to card and have notification and motion detection turned off not to over task the processors.
I used the “update all feature” to update and lost cameras several times.
every time they become unresponsive to the reset button, I tried manually updating the firmware to no avail.
I am familiar with electronics, Arduino and Ras Pi hobbyist.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. The only time I had problems with several cameras coming back online was when I tried the “update all”, in my case it was a bug, not a feature. Had to unplug/replug the cameras. But then, like I wrote, they are all Beta.

1 Like

I went way past unplugging restarting, from hard firmware update attempts to disassembled and connected earphones to the speaker jack to rule out broken speaker…

no, 4 perfectly working cameras on separate occasions bricked after using the update all feature.
If absolutely needed I might try to update them one by one, but for now I will not update until really necessary. and deal with the annoying reminders.

It is a 20 dollar item, i accept it has bugs.

1 Like

I am making my first steps on the forums but whatever the cost of an item there is a certain amount of bugs that can be accepted. I have 4 V2 CAM which went down all one by one after I updated them. First thought the kids played with them but the last one I lost was on my own. Now I am trying to get those CAM talk like they used to so we can re-insert them in the Wyze android app, and this is where I am at this time. Can we reset the firmware of those CAM to a previous one or we are good to deal with their tech support?

1 Like

@Mavens wanna help. I know nothing about android

Did you ever lose the voice of the CAM? I cannot hear anything getting out from it to redo an installation.

1 Like

Hi, @odillon2001. If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a way to get back to a prior firmware version. You can find those and how to flash the firmware manually with the articles below. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thought I would share what I ended up to do. After reading there would be a battery in those camera I started to remove the screws on one of them to look for a possible dead battery. Found nothing charging. However while removing the base from the cube I finally got the voice back. No idea why but the sound came back and I succeed to re-install it with the Wyze app. The 2nd one got the voice also back right after and ended up to get both cameras back and broadcasting within the app. What hapenned? I do not know. How I fixed it? I do not know neither. Hope this will help anyway.

1 Like