How often do wyze sensors talk (poll) to the bridge?

I am trying to make sense of the “signal strength” info.
is it updated every few minutes? is it updated when its state changes?

knowing this would help when positioning the sensor, i would change its position & see if the signal strength changes, but if this is updated only infrequently, i will be misled.

thanks

They may have removed polling to save battery life, or extended it beyond an hour.

As a test, I removed a battery from a motion sensor. After an hour the status did not change, even after re-running the app or pulling down on the list of devices to refresh.

However, I found there is a way to force an update, but it isn’t nearly as simple as I’d like to see:

1. Go to the sensor’s Settings > Device Info screen. You see the current signal strength.
  2. Now change the state of the sensor (the sensor must transmit a state change for the next items to work).
  3. Now back out of Device Info screen 2 times to get back to the sensor’s main page.
  4. Now go back to the sensor’s Device Info screen.
  5. You should have a refreshed signal strength reading.

I tested this process using a motion sensor in and out of a rolled up piece of tin foil that was open on both ends. That 5-step process was the easiest I could come up with.

It would be much nicer if the app would allow you to force an update by doing something like pulling down on the device info screen, or touching the Signal Strength line.

@UserCustomerGwen

4 Likes

Wow @newshound. I don’t know how you managed to find that reset sequence as it’s very convoluted. Many thanks for it and your diligence

4 Likes

:astonished:

2 Likes

thanks for the work around newsfound ,will try it tomorrow.

I have a friend who has access to a lab. what sort of equipment / test would be needed to measure the polling frequency from sensor to bridge or vice versa.

would 915hz be audible over shortwave radio? thx

I don’t think the Wyze “signal strength” reading is terribly accurate. I currently have the bridge installed in the next town over from where the sensor currently is … about 15 miles away. It has been about 23 hours since the sensor was removed from the bridges location.

My signal strength is still 2 out of 3 bars. Now THAT’s one heck of a powerful link that Wyze has designed! I’m thinking if they increased the size of the sensor to maybe 2 inches square to accommodate a slightly bigger battery, … I could communicate with Australia!!!

being that far over the sensor hasn’t been able to communicate it’s lack of signal with the bridge :slight_smile:

it would be nice though

I just got word from Wyze – the status refreshes every time the sensor sends a signal, and if no signal has been sent, then the sensor will be polled every 4 hours.

4 Likes

thanks,

i found this link Wyze Sense FCC documentation indicates a freq of 907.8 - 908.2

also of interest the same pages show the onboard texas instruments texas instruments cc1310 , a very capable system on a chip