How does two factor authentication work on Wyze V3 cameras? Anyone tried it?

WHY ???
Why not keep it optional ?
Please explain to us CUSTOMERS why you are doing this?
Remember, Wyze does NOT pay your salary.
Your CUSTOMERS pay your salary.

2FA is causing me a nightmare! I hate the #@#%## thing the way WYZE has it configured! I use Tiny Cam Pro to display 4 cameras simultaneously on my Fire tablet which is bedside. Everything else I normally use to access the cameras is via a PC in the office on the other side of the house and thatā€™s also where I receive text messages on the PC. I donā€™t tote my cell phone everywhere I go and I certainly donā€™t sleep with it. When Amazon does updates it often turns off the Fire tablet and always causes Tiny Cam Pro to close. Normally all thatā€™s necessary to restore my camera views is simply turn the tablet back on and then click on the Tiny Cam and with no further ado they reappear. Not anymore with 2FA. All I get per camera on the tablet is a message ā€œInvalid empty login response. etc. etcā€. I can find nowhere in Tiny Cam to enter the codes sent by text to my office, even before they expire. Finally, I disabled the #@#%## 2FA feature and I still canā€™t get rid of the messages on the tablet, even with turning off Tiny Cam and restarting both the tablet and the application. What a screwed-up mess and yes, Iā€™m angry about it.

Well, this is interesting. An hour after having the problem above my tablet mysteriously resumed properly displaying the four cameras and I didnā€™t touch a thing on it. Does it take over an hour for the 2FA diasable function to become effective? Needless to say, Iā€™m very reluctant to try turning 2FA on again - that bedside view of the cameras is an important aspect of our home security during the night.

It sounds like Wyze did not think about a lot of its customers who use TinyCam, which is Excellent.
To paraphrase an old Navy saying,

• 2FA by Wyze is Fouled Up Beyond All Repair (FUBAR)

Has anyone been able to use TinyCam SUCCESSFULLY once they have activated Wyze 2FA ?
Is there a problem to using Wyze 2FA with TinyCam?
I need to find this out before I activate Wyze 2FA.
Thanks

I have been told from other users that the TinyCam developer added ability to account for 2FA, I however do not use it so I cannot verify it personally. I will flag the @Mavens, they may know if it works or know some of the users who utilize TinyCam to find out.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply and for your help.
I use TinyCam a lot on Amazon tablets and like that TinyCam shows 4 cameras at the same time.
I will switch to Wyze 2FA IF I can use it without creating any problems with TinyCam.
A previous post from EandS says that the Wyze 2FA really screwed up his TinyCam.
That really scared me from switching to 2FA Because I MUST have TinyCam to work OK just like it is right now.
Please take the initiative and contact the TinyCam developer YOURSELF and confirm that there will not be any problem. This will help BOTH Wyze and TinyCam.
This is why Apple is so trusted because they contact the developers and make sure an App will work with Apple devices. They donā€™t rely on second-hand information from the App users.
I thought the 2FA was just for logging into the Wyze App, so I donā€™t understand why TinyCam is involved at all.
Thanks

1 Like

I will verify again, but this has been there for a bit now and I used to use it. I will report back here after verification

1 Like

Thank you for checking this out for us.
If 2FA is ONLY for logging into the Wyze App, then Apps like TinyCam should NOT be involved at all.

@tomac14 @WyzeJasonJ

2FA is indeed part of TinyCam. It will prompt when it goes to live stream, not when you do the initial setup.

So you should be ok.

2 Likes

2fa is for everything Wyze account.

My impression, and itā€™s just that - an impression, is Tiny Cam turned on after Amazon had done a Fire update and EACH of the 4 cameras was looking for a 2FA response and when they didnā€™t get one they all locked up on that ā€œInvalid empty login response. etc. etc.ā€ And nothing would change it including rebooting Fire and Tiny Cam multiple times. By the way, I didnā€™t mention previously that WYZE had sent 4 different text codes one after another - apparently one for each camera (we have more than 4 cameras active all the time, but only 4 key surveillance positions setup on Fire/Tiny Cam). Also, there was no indication whatsoever of these problems on the BlueStacks WYZE camera app running on the PC where ALL of the cameras were behaving correctly and acting as if there were no 2FA involved. As previously noted, only after disabling 2FA via the PC version and after an hour or so subsequently elapsed did the Fire/Tiny Cam Pro resume normal display without me doing anything to it.

@tomac14,

Sorry you are having issues w\ TCP after enabling 2FA.

I have been using 2FA w\ Wyze using an Authenticator app and also TCP for some time on my Android 11 Moto G.

I do not recall if\how\when I got TCP to stream with the 2FA or even which came first. Another user stated that they got a pop-up when they went to live stream TCP after setting up 2FA. I have had the two together for so long, I donā€™t honestly remember how it transpired when I set them up.

What I do know is that since initial setup many moons ago (that I canā€™t remember), TCP has never asked me to authenticate. Even when I log out of the Wyze app.

But, If I physically sign out of my Wyze app, thereby terminating the current 2FA login certificate with the app, my TCP acts all kinds of stupid wonky with errors on cams and no loads and app shutdowns. So long as I login to the app w\ the 2FA and donā€™t log out, the TCP acts great every time.

It sounds like Wyze and TinyCam need to talk DIRECTLY to each other.
What will happen if we lose electric power for a few minutes or if we lose the internet signal for a few minutes. Will we have to re-sign in to Wyze and to the TinyCam app.
I suspect that nobody has ever thought about that.
Can anyone tell us what happens under these circumstances?
Or can anyone try these 2 circumstances and tell us what happened.
Wyze and TinyCam really need to work closely with each other because Wyze and TinyCam will benefit because their customers will benefit.
Please think about your CUSTOMERS
Thanks

I just ran a test. Shut down my 4G\LTE data and unplugged my router from WiFi (simulated internet outage). Verified no access to internet. Then plugged ISP gateway back into router, waited for it to reconnect, and opened the Wyze App and TCP. Both loaded and streamed without 2FA requests.

I think because the 2FA successful login certificate is still active on my device, it doesnā€™t ask for another authentication.

I use the Wyze App w\ 2FA Authenticator App and TCP on the same device. I just posted the same question to @Paulo over on another thread because I donā€™t know the answer: Is TCP not requiring me to authenticate every time I stream specifically because I have the app installed in the same device and already 2FA logged in? Like I said, when I log out of the Wyze app TCP acts all kinds of stupid but doesnā€™t ask for authentication. Is this because it is trying to use a now expired 2FA certificate? Does TCP ask for authentication over an over again only on devices where the Wyze App is not installed and therefore not doing the 2FA legwork registering the device in the user account on the Wyze Servers?

The configuration issues and 2FA incompatibility problems with TCP are certainly supporting a reason to have the Opt Out.

ā€œThe configuration issues and 2FA incompatibility problems with TCP are certainly supporting a reason to have the Opt Out.ā€

ATTENTION Wyze:
Please keep 2FA as OPTIONAL until all these incompatibilities are resolved.
Then we will have confidence that we wonā€™t lose the capabilities we currently have.
Wyze show you care about your customers
Just DELAY Mandatory 2FA till the incompatibilities are solved
Thanks

1 Like

What did @Paulo have to say about your questions about this 2FA issue and about your setup?
Thanks

These 2FA/TinyCam incompatibilities have been know and discussed for a long time and still appear to exist.
First post about these incompatibilities is JULY 2020.
See website below:

ME2.
I have Wyze cam set up on my iMac using Wyze app, and on my iPhone using the Wyze app. There is NO Wyze App (Repeat, NO WYZE APP) for Fire Tablets. So on my old fire tablets Iā€™m using the Wyze Alexa Skill and on new fire tablets Iā€™m using TinyCam. It took me a long time to set these up and get them working. They are finally working perfectly. And TinyCam shows 4 cameras on each of two fire Tablets. it is wonderful. I am convinced that 2FA will really mess up this wonderful setup. I am not concerned with anybody viewing my camera feeds since there is nothing personal on my cameras. I am very happy with my camera and display set ups and recommend that 2FA be OPTIONAL, like it is now.

1 Like