How does two factor authentication work on Wyze V3 cameras? Anyone tried it?

@tomac14

2FA will be optional, you can read the FAQ’s here.

1 Like

Excerpt from the Wyze FAQ:
“Is 2FA really required, or can I opt-out?”
“Yes, 2FA will be required to set up all Wyze accounts. But there will be an option to opt-out in the future.”

So if I understand this FAQ,
I MUST use 2FA to set up all Wyze accounts.
But then sometime in the indefinite future, I can opt-out of 2FA. When will op-out be available ?
I already have an account with Wyze.
So I am required to use 2FA only if I try to set up a new or different account with Wyze.

I have NOTHING against 2FA

• -as long as it works with TinyCam, Alexa Skill & Wyze App on Fire Tablets.
      I have and use 2FA with Apple devices and iCloud and it works with NO PROBLEMS with any other Apps.

I have no problem using Wyze 2FA ,

• if you can guarantee that Wyze 2FA will work with TinyCam and the Wyze Alexa Skill on Fire Tablets.
        Does it work error-free with TinyCam and Wyze Alexa Skill on Fire Tablets?
        Have you tried it?
        Thanks

I turned on 2FA, and it’s been ease pease. After I logged back in to my Android app using 2FA, the only thing I had to do was to re-link Wyze in Google Home so I could again tell Google what to do with my lights etc. (I lost that ability when I turned on 2FA…Google would say something like “I’m sorry…Wyze Home is not available.”)

For me that was:
Google Home → Settings → Works with Google → Wyze Home → Reconnect account → (then go through the process of logging in to Wyze+2FA, accepting notices, etc). After that, it’s been business as usual.

2FA is good times…turn it on. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply.
Glad to hear that Wyze 2FA works with Google Home.
But I do NOT use Google Home,
I use Tinycam and Wyze Alexa skill with Fire Tablets…
I want to continue to use TinyCam and Wyze Alexa Skill with Fire Tablets…
I need to hear from someone using TinyCam and Wyze Alexa Skill and tell me if it works.
From previous posts, users have said that Wyze 2FA screwed up their use of TinyCam.
I have NOT heard from anyone that says it works with TinyCam with NO PROBLEMS.
All I have heard about its use with TinyCam is that it is a DISASTER with TinyCam.
HELP.
Thanks

Tinycam is only for cams flashed with RTSP capabilities, right?

I guess I should have said my comment is only about Google Home and Google Home users… Didn’t mean to rile.

The ‘requirement’ has not been implemented yet. When they ‘flip the switch’ to require it they will have the opt out ready to go.

2 Likes

Jason, that is GOOD NEWS, indeed.

Thanks

No. Tiny Cam does not require RTSP FW. It runs with standard firmware or RTSP firmware. I currently use it with all my cams without RTSP.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ll give it a shot tonight with my 2FA setup then.

Wrong. TinyCam uses native firmware and authentication to connect to Wyze cameras.

1 Like

That’s awesome. Thank you. Somehow I missed that fact all these years while I wasn’t trying TinyCam. Excited to try it out tonight…just to see… :slight_smile:

Sorry about the double post. I hadn’t gotten to @SlabSlayer posting the same thing.

2 Likes

I have 8 Wyze cams and love them.
I use TinyCam on 4 Fire Tablets.
I have 2 tablets in the office and 2 in the Kitchen.
I have 8 different Wyze cams displayed on the 2 Office Fire Tablets and 8 different Wyze cams on the 2 Kitchen Fire Tablets, 4 cams on each Fire Tablet.
TinyCam divides the Fire tablet screen into 4 quarters.
So I have all 8 my Wyze cams displayed on 2 Fire Tablets.
It took a while for me to set up the cams on each Fire Tablet.
I love this set up and don’t want anything to mess it up.
Thanks

Ok, I tried out Tinycam with 2FA enabled on a V3 (garage setup), and a Pan V1. Got them both working great.

While setting things up, the first time I tried to connect to a cam, Tinycam asked me for my 2FA auth code. I gave it theone I got one from my Google Authenticator app, and kept going. Have not seen it since. Getting things setup, I ended up removing and adding cams 6 or 8 times as I figured things out, and that first time was the only time I saw the 2FA stuff.

Both cams are running great in TC with 2FA. No disasters.

2 Likes

That is great information to have, especially the screenshots of the pop-up UI. I set mine up so long ago that I don’t even remember how the TCP UI reacted or if it did at all. So glad to hear that it works on a device that isn’t running the Wyze app w\ 2FA.

Ah yes… That I remember. TCP cam setup is not for the novice user. Very intricate setup to get the channel order the way it needs to be and order the video tiles appropriately. Takes some real patience.

Why doesn’t Wyze just use the new Apple PassKeys.
Based on industry standards for account authentication, passkeys are easier to use than passwords and far more secure. Adopt passkeys to give people a simple, secure way to sign in to your apps and websites across platforms — with no passwords required.

Excerpt:
Ah yes… That I remember.
TCP cam setup is not for the novice user."

If you make it so hard that novice users can NOT use it , Wyze limits the market for their cameras with 2FA ONLY to Experts. There are many more novices than there are Experts.
Wyze would be WISE NOT to limit their market to Experts.
Remember the KISS rule: “Keep It Simple, Stupid”
Thanks

Thank you for your post, however I was referring to cam setup within TinyCam Pro (TCP)… Not Wyze. You even quoted it properly in your excerpt:

Please do not use my comments about TinyCam Pro as support for your opinion about Wyze.

TinyCam Pro is the creation of Alexey Vasilyev. And, while he may very well now work for Wyze (or did at one point), it was an independent project created prior to Wyze bringing him on board for his P2P streaming expertise.

All cams, regardless the brand, have the exact same level of expertise required to setup and use within TinyCam Pro which supports a vast array of P2P cam manufacturers.

1 Like

I was NOT talking about initially setting up TCP.
That is doable.
I was talking about setting up TCP with Wyze 2FA.
That appears to have a lot of problems.
Why not keep it simple and not have Wyze 2FA with TCP or use the industry-wide PassKeys.
Thanks

We were just talking about how TCP worked great with 2fa. No issues at all…

2 Likes