Home Monitoring Keypad - Ideas for better visualization of system status/mode

there should definitely be a QUICK and easy way to check the status of system at the keypad, whenever you want…having to wait a minute + if you missed the brief backlight flash triggered by the sensor is silly….having the status light on (or flashing) all the time would be best, but at least show the status for several seconds after a key is pressed

7 Likes

Can a Wyze receptacle be programmed to turn on only when the system is armed? Plug a night light into it so it is on when armed?
I don’t have any receptacles, so I don’t know.

1 Like

No there are currently no rules that can be created using the hub or keypad as a device to trigger any action

Well then, write one.

1 Like

Just installed the keypad and system. At night when it’s dark, is there a way to get the Home/Away buttons to light up for a moment so you know which button to press. If I press a keypad number at random, all the buttons light up except for the Home/Away. Great, except if it’s dark, there is no way to know without guessing where the Home/Away buttons are? Am I missing something?

1 Like

The keypad has a sensor on it. When you walk in front of it, the keypad will automatically light of for a short period of time.

Thanks for the reply. Only the disarm button lights from the sensor. So, at night in the dark, trying to find the Home/Away button is like flipping a coin when you want to arm the system. Am I wrong with this, or could the equipment not be working properly, or do I need to do something in the app?

Interestingly, my entire keypad lights up. I will need to verify and get back to you.

Just checked in daylight and the Disarm is theonly one that lit. Will check tonight to see if the entire screen lights up when it is dark

The Home/Away buttons will not light unless they are armed, and you are lucky enough to have the sensor pick it up as you walk by. The IR sensor on the keypad is hit or miss, and unreliable as I have tested it. So, sadly there does not seem to be a way to light those home/away buttons unless you have a light source nearby without touching them first. So, with the IR sensor being hit or miss, there are two real problems here. First, knowing which button is which in the dark at night when you want to arm one of them. Secondly, waking in the morning and hoping the IR sensor works to show you whether the system is armed or not- if you don’t remember from the night before.

1 Like

Thanks, I have not experienced any issues with the sensor on it

I am really surprised that more users are not complaining about the Home’Away buttons not lighting up as a prompt on the keypad before you arm the system when it’s dark in the room. They do not light up even when you press the check button and all other keys light up. This would be such a simple fix. Yet, now I am forced to bring a light source with me to figure out where those two buttons are when it’s dark. I’m not asking for a new physical thing to press on the body of the keypad. Would be happy if pressing the check button which is easy to find even in the dark, allowed the Home and Away buttons to light up.

2 Likes

I have pretty much given up on them fixing this any time soon. I posted bug requests, forum posts, etc. There are some simple fixes they could do to make this system usable. As it is now, I don’t even bother to set it many times because I can’t handle all of the false alarms since we can’t tell when it’s on or off half the time. It should be an option to leave lights on all the time if you want (many ways to address it). But it doesn’t even detect movement half the time so it’s almost useless to have. It has promise but if they can’t update simple stuff to make it usable, it’s just another “promising security solution” that will accumulate dust on my shelf some day when I decide to move to something more functional.

I have a 35 year old hard wired old style security system in my house that has worked great for that many years without bugs yet with very limited user functionality. Problem is getting someone out to fix even a single sensor would cost as much as the entire Wyze investment. I will find a workaround for this keypad problem, and just let it go for now. But, you are so right that simple fixes would really take care of this.

System indication on the key pad

The key pad does not have any indication what state the home monitoring is at a given time. When I get near the pad, the status indicator lights up for a very brief period. I understand that this may be to conserve the battery. However, is it possible to flash the indicator every so often when the system is armed in Home or Away?

4 Likes

HMS Keypad status light

The keypad should have a status light (red/green) that stays on to indicate whether disarmed or armed, or at least a button that turns on a red or green light so you know what the status is.(Sometimes I walk up to the keypad and I don’t know if it is armed or not)

Lets say you have a lot of family members in your house, when one person just walks past the keypad,(Not looking at it, just walking past) it will show the status then turn off. Then if someone walks up to it right after wanting to see if it is armed or not, There is no way of knowing unless you pull your phone out and check on the app, or you could disarm it again with the code. There should just be a simple light that either stays on all the time (witch might take a hit on battery), or just add a button that turnes on a Red or green light and/or announces the status. wyze should make is an option to keep the light on 24/7, along with voice option, or to use the status button**

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

4 Likes

Activate Sense Keypad backlight when countdown starts.

When I get home at night it is dark in the room with my keypad. The alarm starts to count down and I have to put in my code BUT the keypad stays dark/unlit until the first button is pressed. It’s easy to mess up your code if you can’t see what you’re pressing! LOL! Would be ideal if, as soon as the Sense Hub sees one of the zones has been “broken” that it sends a signal to the Sense Keypad to turn on its backlighting. This way, when I open my door and it’s dark in my house, the Sense Keypad lights up and I can easily input my code.

That is a great idea. If a blinking LED also can be incorporated with that to show the system status when it is in the two states other than when it is disarmed, it will solve a lot of problems. At present, one has to get close to the key pad to briefly see the corresponding indicator light up. Most of the time it does not happen if a person is not right in front or close enough.

1 Like

I just press the disarm button first.

Came to the forum tonight hoping there was a simple way to toggle something (say, a smart plug? or lamp?) to show HMS armed status. Disappointed to find nada.
Obviously this is a desirable function. Certainly Noonlight would appreciate it, at least from my house… :-/
Re illumination of the keypad. Spend a few more bucks with Wyze and stick a nightlight near the keypad. Probably needs a spacer on the wall to get its’ light on the keypad surface, but hey, get creative…

1 Like

Maybe to consider add the HMS widget on your Android/iPhone? It displays the HMS status all the time, and you can have direct access to the Monitoring tab from there.

1 Like