Home Monitoring - Cellular Backup

Don’t expect Cadillac features at Hyundai prices. Wyze is all about taking existing low-cost devices and making software their value-add (cough-cough).

You can roll this on your own with a Prosumer home router and LTE modem. I did this 18 years ago to backup my VoIP monitored, hardwire alarm.

5 Likes

They call it home monitoring but add features of a security system. If they ever want to call it a security system then it needs this one feature, without it it’s just home monitoring ‘when available’. I love what they do with their products and they make great products for a great price so you’re right about added value products. I would pay more per month if they were to have that one feature.

Get a router with battery backup and a sim card slot for a second WAN port. Problem solved.
Example: [OpenWrt Wiki] Simple WAN Failover with 3G/LTE WWAN - Using a second router in the same LAN
However, you will soon find that it gets quite expensive to do this, which is why wyze doesn’t include it probably…

I would like cellular backup as an optional feature for the monitoring system. Ring charges $10 per month for monitoring and cellular backup. I need cellular backup as my WiFi goes down occasionally.

1 Like

From a hardware standpoint, I have a good sized battery backup for my internet equipment that will keep it going for hours in the event power is cut. However, it is possible that the internet cable could be cut and that would kill communication. So it’s only a partial solution. Meanwhile, wyze has too many other problems for me to consider trusting them with actual security - buggy firmware, failing devices (see posts about bricked/forgotten sensors), a propensity to push out beta products as retail ready, etc. We all have different needs. For me, they’re fine for casual monitoring for less demanding situations, but I won’t go whole hog into wyze until I see signs of maturity and that goes for management as well as systems.

3 Likes

Cellular connection is necessary for me before I switch to Wyze Home Monitoring. Why? I have 6 Wyze cameras (4 outdoors and 2 indoors). Especially the outdoor ones are not reliable. Quite frequently, when I try to switch to view them live through my Wyze app, they fail to respond and give me a connection error. A lot of people need a high reliability (at least 4 or 5 9s availability). For now, for my family’s safety, I’ll refrain from switching and will keep on paying $25/month for an alternate service, which does have cellular backup.

Wyze, please give us the cellular option. Security must have high availability. Some of us don’t mind paying more. If you offer a cheaper alternative than the $25 option available in the market, quite a lot of us will switch

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, cellular backup is only for the device hub which handles the processing of the devices that connect to it. From my limited experience the devices connect either by wire or by a wireless protocol to the hub, not by WiFi directly to a cloud server. Wyze is completely reliant on devices, at least the cams, to directly connect to them - none of these cams will have cellular capability directly. Wyze is not a security solution, it only markets it’s self that way. But look deeper and it is a half baked security system, at least when you consider no NAS/NVR, no PC/Mac/browser access, completely reliant on WiFi and a remote cloud server for most of the functionality, no easy way to connect battery backup, etc.

In your case, you probably just need a better positioned WiFi router or a mesh system to provide better signal strength where it’s needed, assuming all the other deficiencies of the wyze system are acceptable.

1 Like

Also keep in mind that their monitoring service only allows one person to be called by the dispatcher before calling the police. Deal breaker.

I agree. After watching “Inside the Mind of a Thief | Burglar Confessions” I think cellular backup is a must have feature! Watch at Inside the Mind of a Thief | Burglar Confessions - YouTube

No, I don’t believe it is a Wifi strength issue. The outdoor cameras are quite unreliable when it comes to picking up events.
Without cellular option, I won’t switch.

I see now, you initially didn’t qualify why or how it was unreliable. I assumed you meant staying connected. But I completely agree, wyze is not a serious security solution - too many missing features or options - they should have a cellular enabled security hub option as well as NAS/network share storage options, pc browser access, etc. We use a v2 as just a convenience to know when a package is delivered - this community has full time security at the gate and the walk in gate is kept locked. FWIW, I beta tested the doorbell cam, but 18 mo later it is still a failure since it’s a side view and person detection constantly fails at the very edge and there is still no quick answer screen or popup. I can’t justify paying for camplus when the v2 does so much better with its grandfathered person detection. We plan to relocate for retirement and I’m figuring I’ll have to move on from wyze by that time to get something more full featured, more reliable and without the need for unsupported workarounds.

Yes, Outdoor Cam’s Person / Motion Detection feature is quite slow. Most of the time, by the time it wakes up, the person/object in motion is almost out of camera’s vision. Still, I pay for Cam Plus for my 4 outdoor cameras. For combined $60/year cost, it is a cost I’m willing to bear. It is my backup security on top of the paid SimpliSafe.
With V2 indoor cameras, I’m quite happy. I need to get more external electric outlets around my house before I can retire Wyze Outdoor Cameras with V3.
I know that their wireless doorbell is coming. I think that I’ll get it as my doorbell is not wired and the current solution is also very unreliable.

Check out GeoArm for your existing system, they do takeovers from any monitoring company.
$18 month includes Cellular backup path along with WiFi connection too.

1 Like

Thank you, They seem to make an interesting proposition. I’ll look into it in detail

I am on a grandfathered plan with GeoArm, but the link below is the same as what I have.
Total Connect PRO Dual-Path for Honeywell systems

They have the same type of plans for ALL major “REAL” Alarm Systems.

I chose Honeywell as they have the largest variety of sensors.
Besides Intrusion/Burglary the systems have Fire, Carbon Monoxide, Water intrusion, and medic alert available too. Types of sensors available for Honeywell systems

Yes a REAL System will cost significantly more than a TOY alarm system however a REAL system has UL listing for Alarm, Fire, CO, etc…

That the TOY alarm systems does not have. Yes The TOY system has UL listed monitoring but if the TOY system fails to signal the monitoring company because of loss of WiFi, Software glitch, etc. then what good is that?

The UL listing on REAL alarms pertains to operation, safety, and communications the system provides, and this is why nearly all the REAL systems have cellular communications as a primary or backup path.

I would much rather trust the protection of life and property to a system that is a UL registered alarm system and sensors. My system can even alert me when the WiFi and Cellular are both down as the system maintains a check-in signal with monitoring company and if missed you will be notified.

The Wyze HMS will not be anything but a TOY until they add cellular backup and attain a Alarm system UL rating.

2 Likes

WYZE wish list team,

It would be nice and a peace of mind to me to have a cellular option for home monitoring. My current home security system has it and even my backup generator to notify me of changes. Yes its a benefit when you lose power.

Thank you
Steve

5 Likes

Can we get an update so that when your internet goes out, the home monitoring service falls back to cellular (such as SimpliSafe, ADT, etc). With the current setup, if someone was to cut my internet and walk in, it will beep due to local settings, but not alert authorities because my connection is out.

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

2 Likes

A good home alarm system needs to have a back up connection

Cellular back up should have been added a long time ago !!

2 Likes

I have many Wyze products, but not the home monitoring system. The ONLY thing stopping me from purchasing the home monitoring system is the fact that Wyze does not offer cellular backup. Glass breakage sensing would be super nice too, but not a deal breaker. No cellular backup is a deal breaker. Obviously cellular backup would cost more monthly, but I would gladly pay extra for the cellular backup. The addition of cellular backup would make this a TRUE home SECURITY system, not just a monitoring system.

4 Likes

I have posted the exact same thing. I would even be willing to pay a bit more (up-front and for the monitoring) for a version with cellular backup. There have simply been too many instances where my power may have gone out and returned, but my internet didn’t reboot. My internet is simply not as reliable as it needs to be for it to be the sole connection for a security system in which I can truly have confidence. It seems that for something as critical as an alarm system, cellular backup would be a no brainer for Wyze. It would remove a major adoption hurdle and allow them to take even more market share from other players. Until then, I’ll have to stick with SimpliSafe.

4 Likes