Help with connection to 5G Cox network

My new apt. only offers 5G COX connection to wifi,
since Wizen cam can’t connect to that,
do I have any options ? Can I run 2 routers in my apt. ?

1 Like

You should get a WiFi extender with both 2.4 and 5 ghz connections.

1 Like

You could also use an inexpensive travel router as described here:

thank u all for Hints,decided to go with Cox Home Life package,
instead of a land line in bundle , you can substitute home security camera that links to your iPhone,same price bundle :))

1 Like

FYI to let others know. If they have COX and a Panarama modem it will work automatically. I have COX Panarama, Gigablast. It can be set to show both bandwidths . BUT for better reception they had me switch to Only call it Panarama and neither of the 2.4 or 5g show up . They say it’s best for the modem to choose which device, phone, computer, TV to hook up to and which bandwidth.

The good news is it did automatically hook up to the V2 and pan cams. I didn’t have to switch back to having both 2.4 and 5g available as someone from WYZE suggested. Not sure if that works with other modems.

It seems highly unlikely that Cox is offering a 5 GHz only router. Given the amount of equipment that still exists that is 2.4 GHz, that would be rather short sighted, especially given that the chips to support 5 GHz normally include 2.4 GHz by default. That said, perhaps it is your apartment complex that turned off the 2.4 GHz radio if it is being offered up from a location outside your apartment.

For the moment, however, assuming they 2.4 GHz is truly unavailable, it isn’t difficult to add a 2.4 GHz access point, assuming the router is in your apartment. You can even use another router, by disabling the DHCP server on the router. If the router doesn’t have specific settings to act as a wireless access point instead of a router, you’ll need to connect it to the other router using one of the LAN ports not the WAN port.

If the router is elsewhere, and you only have access to the 5 GHz WiFi signal, it is still doable, but more complicated. I’ll hold off on any explanation of that unless it is necessary.

You may also want to get in the habit of saying “5 GHz” for WiFi in the future as “5G” has a new meaning now that will become more prevalent as time passes.

You can use a range extender to broadcast the 5 ghz signal in 2.4.