Greater Control Over Detection Zone Shape

For me, (1) a non-rectangular shape would be a great help. For example, allow moving the upper-right corner down, without this moving the upper-left corner.

And (2) remove the restriction that limits how small the area can be.

In my case, we’re on a hill, and I’d like to define an area that does not include the street- but doing so requires a diagonal and/or removing the size limit.

I can save several minutes several times a day. How? Even though I have notifications only for “Person” (yes, I’ll live without it when it’s gone), I have reason to check the non-person motion captures several times a day. When I’m done, I have to delete all the non-person clips. All of them but the “person” clips are from passing cars during the day and headlights at night. If the detection zone rectangle were just a few pixels smaller in each dimension (horizontal and vertical), I would not be getting dozens of clips the I have to delete. The deletion process is a big waste of time when I want to save the “person” clips and delete the rest. If you ask what will happen when there is no “person detection”, I’ll have to sift through all the clips that are in the actual zone of interest and one-by-one, delete the useless ones with passing cars and headlights. As wonderful and responsive to customer concerns as Wyze is, I’ve made this request, in various forms, in the eleven months since I bought the first three of my five Wyze Cams. Make the detection zone a bit smaller! I’ve never asked for multiple zones, free form zones, pixel-size-based zones or anything very IT intensive; just make the darned zones a bit smaller. The hundreds of posts on the subject suggest that I’m not alone in my request, yet it remains the ONLY complaint I have about this otherwise great product and company. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?

How small do you want it, I can get fairly small

It varies by device. I can hardly set a useful zone with my phone, but my tablet does great. Do you have a larger-screen device you can set the zone on?

I set that on my Galazy S10, it did take some doing and that is as small as I could get it

Hmmm… I think it is better than it was before, but my iPhone can only do 1/ 2.5 of the screen height, whereas my iPad can do about 1/6 of the screen height.

That’s interesting, I wonder why it is so hard to make it small on certain devices

Thanks, Jason. No, I have/use only my iPhone 6S, and it’s fine. As for a bigger screen, I spend way more time on my desktop PC, and have been wishing/waiting for the ability to keep the app up all the time on one of my three monitors. If RTSP is available to me without extensive work with third-party apps that require me to mess with the bowels of my PC (registry, etc.), I’m all in. That’s been a regret of mine from the beginning. Pulling out my phone to monitor my cameras is a hassle and a distraction.
jcw764

Using a stylus pen I can get it really small

Jason -
Just read your second post. I don’t think your particular zone will pertain to mine. The view of your/my camera depends on two things: 1. the angle of whatever view the camera is aimed at (for instance, from the edge of the wall on the right to the wall on the left - if your walls are identical to mine, but closer to the camera, some content will be cut off), and 2. The lowest (top-to-bottom) I can make mine still picks up a tiny part of the street and headlights, and the narrowest I can make mine still picks up the garage walls that show any headlights of those same cars. If I move the rectangular detection zone in any direction, it will pick up either plants or trees that blow in a breeze or their shadows. A slightly smaller detection zone would solve all this - and it doesn’t seem like such a tech-intensive fix; just a few pixels in each dimension.

Guys -
Your suggestions and feedback are appreciated, but this is not an issue of how big your display device will show you (tablet, iPhone, Android, etc.). This is what the camera is processing off its chip: how many pixels high and wide the detection zone is. Messing with your display device to “fix” something so easy for Wyze to do would also likely change your display for everything else as well; not just Wyze Cam images.
jcw764

I have a camera affected by headlights on the grass at night. I turned off motion detection on the camera and installed a Sense motion detector to eliminate the issue.

I have a driveway camera. I find that there’s enough scattered light from moving headlights that triggers the detector, no matter the position and size of the zone. The light reflects on walls, from the pavement, etc.

1 Like

WyzeGwendolyn -
Thanks for your attention to this topic, which affects so many users. While your comments are mostly accurate, there are many exceptions, mine included, in which being able to adjust the detection zone rectangle just a few pixels smaller would solve the whole problem - to miss plants, shadows, cars and headlights. Maybe your developers think that so small an adjustment would not even be worth the effort, but to me, and I suspect to many others, it would be a huge gift, and greatly appreciated. It’s hard to understand why so small (and simple) a change has been resisted for so long. There must be some huge, complicated and/or techy reason, but that has never been explained.
jcw764

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I’m not part of the tech team so I can’t actually provide that answer. But I am sharing this request with the team.

2 Likes

Thanks, Gwen; cause for at least a drop of optimism - and the feeling of having been heard.
jce764
Jerry

1 Like

My pleasure, Jerry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The thing is, while triangular and poly-zones would likely take slightly more processing power in the camera, Wyze worries about how much all this storage of images takes, while users complain about all of the false and unsatisfactory triggers. Wyze would likely save a ton of money (i.e., be economically advantageous) and minimize user frustration if the false triggers were minimized by allowing more detection zone control including zone shape.

1 Like

Hello!

I just purchased the Wyze cam yesterday (not the pan version) and am absolutely loving it! One issue I’m running into is the height of the detection zone. I want to make it shorter because it’s picking up cars that drive by but I seem to be limited on how short I can make the zone. I’ve read other posts where users were running into this issue as well. Have there been any updates to this or are there any work arounds?

Thanks for your help!!

1 Like

Welcome to the community, @ashleymervar. I have moved your question to the relevant #wishlist topic. You can vote for it at the top-left. :slight_smile:

2 Likes