Free Person Detection From Wyze

Hey, everyone! I’m Shawn, one of the Wyze product manager. Yesterday, we brought the AI to Wyze Cam and we all are so excited about it. I want to say thank you to all of you. Thanks for being supportive to us, giving us feedback, and thanks for allowing us to have your back as always.

We’ve been reading the feedback and saw some raised concerns about the 5 min cooldown issue. To be frank, I share the exact the same view of the problem. I know it’s annoying to worry about the potential missing events (what we called false negatives). I know this feature is not as one would expect without more information. But allow me to explain a little bit why we shipped this version instead of a 100% independent feature.

The purpose of the function is to help you filter out the events. From the event page, you can view the events with people only. But you still have access to all the records. So, if you would like, you can view the videos as you did before. And from the notification, you can tell if the event has a person in it.

At this stage, our AI is designed to help you identify the videos you care about more efficiently. And we want to make sure we are going in the right direction for incorporating AI into Wyze products (especially since it takes time to train AI during development). However, it is not a one-time effort. We’re going to putting work on improving the product continuously to make it more useful and reliable. Person detection outside of recorded motion detection event videos will be the next fortress to take down. The most critical part during the process is for you to tell us what we did right and what needs to be improved. Let’s do this together.

12 Likes