Free Person Detection From Wyze

I agree. The cooldown period makes the camera completly useless unless you opt for SD storage which is not ideal. Someone can allways steal the camera with the card in it

Not a security camera. A smart camera. Do not depend on a $20 camera for your security.

2 Likes

@Newshound I think he’s talking about notifications to his phone… Not just the events tab filtering. He doesn’t want to get notified unless a person is detected. I haven’t tested that out yet.

@GLegar85, on the support website, I think it says the person detection might not work as well through a window.

1 Like

The person detection AI algorithm does run locally on the camera. But the event recording must be triggered first. So you can’t not record events. However, you can choose not to get notifications of non-person events and you can filter the event list to see only person-events. Therefore, really no-harm, no-foul if the non-person events are getting recorded. You can just choose to ignore them. Make sense?

5 Likes

That’s fine, but it’s a $20 camera and people detection has been out for less than a day. Give them a chance to improve. So many complaints.

Perfect explanation. Thanks, Loki.

1 Like

Please check the About section and report what version of the app you are running on what phone OS.

@Newshound, we know it’s just a $20 camera but we want to aim for higher than that and have an excellent product without the price factoring in. We’ll keep working on improving the service. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

k, I’ll try to defend it less, lol.

1 Like

: ) I didn’t say security camera. I call it a camera that i can rely on to watch an area and be notified of an activity. And i wouldn’t be okay with my things being stolen with the footage inside regardless of it’s price btw

Did you try restarting the camera after updating both the firmware and the app? Meaning did you unplug the camera and plug it back in? Someone wrote about that helping an issue with person detection but not sure if that will be the case for you. It works fine for me and a friend of mine.

@lookitupkid

For notifications of events for which you shouldn’t be notified, can you check the event list and see if there’s a little person icon on the event:

If the icon is there, that will tell us that algorithm incorrectly detected a person and the system correctly generated a notification based on that. In that case, if you want, you can share the video with Wyze and report that there was no person seen in the clip. That will help Wyze further train the algorithm.

If, on the other hand, there is no person icon on the event list, then the camera did not think it detected a person and the system sent you a notification when it should not have. This would be a bug that you should report via a support ticket.

In the latter case, you might want to try power cycling the camera(s) and force restarting the app, or even uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

A couple of things to consider:

1. Check the event list for the five minute period before you are jumping up and down in front of the camera. If there’s a motion event during that period (caused by other than your jumping), then you won’t get an event for the person jumping because it is happening within the cool down period.

2. Per the Quick Tips, the subject should be between 2-20 feet. If you are pointing out a window, perhaps the person is too far away.

I think the issue with having events filtered before sending to the cloud is that if you have too many false-negative event (person not detected when they should be), then you won’t get any recording of those. I think perhaps Wyze would want to further refine the algorithm to make sure the false-neg rate is sufficiently low before implementing such.

2 Likes

This is a great start. Free AI in a small $20 camera is a huge deal. Improvements coming down the road. Great job Wyze!

2 Likes

Hey, everyone! I’m Shawn, one of the Wyze product manager. Yesterday, we brought the AI to Wyze Cam and we all are so excited about it. I want to say thank you to all of you. Thanks for being supportive to us, giving us feedback, and thanks for allowing us to have your back as always.

We’ve been reading the feedback and saw some raised concerns about the 5 min cooldown issue. To be frank, I share the exact the same view of the problem. I know it’s annoying to worry about the potential missing events (what we called false negatives). I know this feature is not as one would expect without more information. But allow me to explain a little bit why we shipped this version instead of a 100% independent feature.

The purpose of the function is to help you filter out the events. From the event page, you can view the events with people only. But you still have access to all the records. So, if you would like, you can view the videos as you did before. And from the notification, you can tell if the event has a person in it.

At this stage, our AI is designed to help you identify the videos you care about more efficiently. And we want to make sure we are going in the right direction for incorporating AI into Wyze products (especially since it takes time to train AI during development). However, it is not a one-time effort. We’re going to putting work on improving the product continuously to make it more useful and reliable. Person detection outside of recorded motion detection event videos will be the next fortress to take down. The most critical part during the process is for you to tell us what we did right and what needs to be improved. Let’s do this together.

12 Likes

Did you go to the notifications tab and set each camera up to Person? It gives three options person, motion, and sound.

Its like Autopilot with Tesla, those who don’t want/trust the function yet don’t have to use it, but the rest of us enjoy it even if its not yet at 100% and can help the company with the data to improve it for everybody else.

2 Likes

@WyzeShawn

That’s a good explanation (better than my attempt). Thanks.

One thing that I don’t think has been addressed regarding ongoing improvement:s how to communicate to Wyze that there has been a false negative. In the case of a false positive, the user can tap the “Help us improve…Share” button and report that they didn’t see a person in the video.

But in case of a regular motion video that did contain a person, but wasn’t tagged as such, there doesn’t seem to be an easy way (other than going through the whole support ticket routine) to report this. Are there any plans to make reporting of false negative more convenient?

EDIT: My mistake… the “non-person” video I checked for the button happened to be a “Smart video alert” (eg, events triggered by Wyze Sense sensors). Those don’t have the reporting button since only regular motion videos are subject to the person tagging.

That does bring up the question: is there some reason that Smart Video Alerts cannot be run through the AI and tagged if they have a person detected? This would allow those videos to also be included in the person-filtered results.

4 Likes

Do you have the beta version? The beta version gives three options when clicking the “Help us improve . . . share” button. I saw a person, I didn’t see a person, and cancel.

1 Like