Foggy or lens image quality degrade V3 camera

Two of mine have also failed in the 114° Arizona sun. Thought it was the lens and as I wanted to try an 8mm lens anyway,I tried the ne lens. No luck, still not in focus.

Maybe the cmos sensor doesn’t like the heat and direct sunlight Dunno.

I will tear apart the other V3 to verify if in fact a cmos sensor failure, or lens failure.

V3 lens flaw
My almost 2 year old V3 has also developed an internal lens cataract. Since the camera is beyond warranty, I decided to disassemble it to see if there was any chance I could get the lens apart and clean it. The inside of the camera was spotless … absolutely no water intrusion. However, the lens is clearly damaged internally. My guess is that water has worked around the outer edge of the lens seal and gotten between the elements. Unfortunately there is no way to take apart and clean the lens assembly. It appears to have a threaded barrel which is probably adjusted to perfect the focus. It is then super glued into position. I’m guessing that Wyze does not replace out of warranty cameras. Has anyone found an exception to that?

Same thing happened to multiple lenses for mine.

All the best,

Joe

I’ll try two tests. I’ll swap lenses with a know good V3 to see if issue follows the lens, or follows the camera, hence cmos board.

I didn’t try my new lens in a working V3. I just put it in the cam with the fuzzy image. What if my new 6mm lens is junk? Don’t think so, but need to do another test by putting the 6mm in a working cam.

With doing the above, I’ll figure it out quickly.

On another note, what is everyone using to hold on the “beauty” ring on once the thin double sided tape gets destroyed?

It was the lens, and not the board. When I swapped the two lenses between the fuzzy camera and the good one, the problem followed the lens.

Once I knew that, I carefully adjust a new 8mm lens on the fuzzy camera. I had to screw the lens out toward the last few threads to get the camera in focus.

A little hot glue secured it in place, and now I have a working camera again.

You can typically see the lens issue when you look close, white specs inside like condensation or something perhaps dried and causing it to look blurry. Sometimes mine is in patches, not the whole field. I wonder if something with the epoxy or seal is breaking down over time in the sun / UV. Either way the failures have been greater than 50% within a year or so.

They should do a big recall but that will never happen.

All the best,

Joe

Two of my cameras live in outside, in direct sun, with temperatures exceeding 115°’ and occasional downpours. 7” of rain a year, but comes in cloudbursts. What a real life tests for these v3 cams!

For the money, how could one go wrong with these v3 cameras? It would be nice if one could buy replacement lenses directly from Wyze, though. Or, have a list of lens sellers that meet Wyze’s criteria. Just some thoughts!

And, one day, maybe Wyze would offer these cameras with a 6mm and with a 12mm lens. With the logistics of stocking different part numbers, explaining the different lens options to folks, etc., a $10, or less, premium would justified.

Wyze, are you listening?

Hello All.

I have a potential solution to rain interfering with the V3 camera’s operation, which I call a helmet. It won’t help against dew forming within a camera resulting from a particular combination of temperature and humidity or against manufacturing defects, Also shown is my aluminum foil solution. Please note no modification is required for the camera to use this helmet.

Below are some pictures of it:

Below is a link to the STL file that one can be printed from at no cost for the file.
Perhaps you, a friend, or a local library will print one for you.
V3 Helmet

Victor.

2 Likes

Nice solution for rain.

1 Like

I thought so too.

I have had all of the ones I have outside replaced once or twice.

How does Wyze let this go on? Every one of my outside V3s develops this “lens cateract” after around 11 months of exposure to the sun for a few hours a day. Please address the issue!

2 Likes

It would be nice if The Wyze could inform folks of the chances of experiencing this flaw (times flaw reported / total v3s active) but this is not likely.

If it was .001, I’m in,
.01, still in but mildly clenched,
.1, I’m out and relaxed, even grateful… :slight_smile:

I would say for me 100% if not close to that have had the fogging issue within a year or so with the ones that are exposed to the elements. The ones under cover no issue, even though they get sun. Seems the seal / epoxy goes over time and allows moisture to condense that even if it dries has a residual mark. These happened with units right after launch and newer so no improvements have been made that I see.

1 Like

Really wrong to be selling a product marketed for outdoor use with IP65 weather resistance and with a known defect. At least have a small-print disclaimer “Do not expose to direct sunlight for long periods.” I bought a silicone cover with a small hood (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092DXWN4J?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) but I doubt it will help.

Okay, this camera is $35. I’ll pay $70 for a premium outdoor all-weather model that doesn’t get cataracts. Is there one that you can suggest?

1 Like

All of my cameras are either suddenly degrading to where the images at night are awful or some others have gathered water on the lenses and are basically garbage. I went with Wyze for the affordability and I am forgiving of hiccups but I haven’t even had my cameras 2 years and every one of them needs to be replaced.i may plan a splurge for a higher end camera as $20-40 isn’t a good deal if they last half or less of the time as competitors. I’ve scoured the forums but just don’t see a good solution.

I have been getting free replacements due to water on my cameras every one to two years now. Some have been replaced three times. At no cost to me.

Just inconvenience.

Hopefully they will start making true outdoor cameras some day.

I think it is because where I live when it rains we also have high winds.

Hello all, the picture below presents my thoughts about how small desiccant packets may be used to reduce moisture-induced foggy lens views. There may be some sound quality issues. The helmet may be fitted a litle upward and backwards on the camera to create the space needed for the desiccant packs.

Small desiccant packeta can be Googled and many different sizes and quantities will be offered att resonle prices.

Sounds like you buy an additional warranty as the factory one is only good for 1 year. Most of mine exposed to the elements are affected within a year unfortunately, those under cover are not.