Foggy image - possible hardware solution

Yep, those are the lens screws. Mine have all come off pretty easily. I have a Phillips that keys in really well though.

Iā€™m at a total impasse. That sucks. So close and yet so far.

1 Like

Glad you tried. I see yours has a much newer build date of 05-2019. I was curious what it looked like. Maybe theyā€™re gluing or locktiting them now.

Iā€™ve got a simple cheap set like these that works well for most small things.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076M6NBWB/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_K2F2DbXJS5X0W

1 Like

Ok, I finally managed to get it off. Mineā€™s scuzzy, but didnā€™t look quite as bad as yours. Iā€™m gonna put it all back together and see how it looks.

Wow! I wonder if mine are scuzzy. Headlights shine in like a bomb blast. SCSI used to be a good thing.

1 Like

I put it back together but I guess I did something wrong. Dang. Haha.

I unscrewed the lens while I was in there and I screwed it back in, but Iā€™m guessing I didnā€™t screw it in at the right depth, which is why my focus is off. (It wasnā€™t screwed in at the end of the thread, and there was glue keeping it at the spot it was at.

I DID notice that thereā€™s a bunch of oil on the bottom part of the lens threads, and it seems like that oil could easily leak down and scuzz up that piece of glass under it. Iā€™m guessing that may be the source of the scuzz.

Anyway, Iā€™ll mess with it again tomorrow and see if I can get it back to normal. Kinda tired of dealing with it for now.

If I screwed it up for good, I guess this will be my camera to test firmware updates on. :laughing:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what mine looked like, by the way. Itā€™s a little hard to tell the scuzz-level, but I tried to reflect it against light and it definitely didnā€™t shine back like a solidly clean piece of glass should.

Anyway, if Iā€™m guessing at the source of the scuzz, it seems like the oil from the lens threads. The lens is hot glued in place so that you wonā€™t move it and mess up your focus like I did. But if the lens isnā€™t supposed to move in the first place, I donā€™t really know why the threads would be oiled. Given how close it is to the sensor glass, it seems very likely that the lens thread oil comes into contact with this piece of glass and causes scuzziness.

I shouldnā€™t have unscrewed the lens, but If I hadnā€™t, I wouldnā€™t have seen all that oil. Hopefully I can get the camera back into focus, but if not, it was educational at least.

If the lens thread oil is the source, as I suspect, it DOES seem like itā€™s something that could develop over time. Itā€™s not that the oil is necessarily in direct contact, but even without direct contact, the oil may evaporate very slowly over time. If thatā€™s the source, it definitely explains what weā€™re seeing, and it wouldnā€™t necessarily be immediately obvious at manufacturing time.

1 Like

Yeah you de focused it by unscrewing the lens. Just take it back apart, plug it in, and screw or unscrew the lens until you have focus again onscreen. I usually zoom into some text or something in the app to make sure I have perfect focus. Sometimes just focusing these little cheap cameras makes a huge difference even without cleaning the scuzzy glass.

That oil isnā€™t oil on the lens threads, itā€™s glue to keep the focus from accidentally changing after production.

You did have some scuzz. This is pretty unacceptable for such a new camera. I bet itā€™s an automated part of production and the glass is just either not being inspected cleaned properly or getting fouled up along the line.

I guess I didnā€™t read all of your previous post. I have glue on mine but didnā€™t see any oil. Oil is definitely an odd thing to have there.

Has anybody opened a case with support to get an official viewpoint? I do appreciate all of the investigative work.

If a large sample of your cameras have a film on the lense and this was not intended, then there is a serious problem.

I wonder if pan cams are also affected.

2 Likes

Support has been pinged about this thread.

1 Like

Thanks. Hopefully ping is enough.

Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s oil. Iā€™ll take a photo. I need to take the camera apart again to try to focus it. There are two things on the lens threads. Thereā€™s something that looks like hot glue on the top of the lens threads ā€“ it looks like thatā€™s intended to prevent you from doing what I did (unscrewing it) And below that, on the part thatā€™s threaded in, thereā€™s a slick oily substance that extends to the bottom, toward the glass piece that was (formerly) scuzzy.

If you arenā€™t afraid of defocusing your camera like I did and the extra headache that might entail, take a look for yourself. Unscrew the lens and check out the bottom part of the threads.

Iā€™m thinking maybe. Hazy image (Pan Cam) - #4 by nerdland

1 Like

I believe you. Just sad news to hear. Maybe they can fix this in V3.

Thanks. Maybe I need to step back for a year. :thinking:

If it is actually some sort of hot melt to hold focus the ā€œoilā€ may be the result of poor temperature control in the glue applicator, either manual or automatic. This can cause gassing of the adhesive and the fresh air makeup in that area may be inadequate allowing vapourized adhesive to settle on parts even before assembly.

3 Likes

Finally got around to taking the cam apart again to refocus the lens. Wasnā€™t very difficult. The good news is the picture now is great. Probably better than when I got it.

I took a photo of the oil Iā€™m talking about. I also felt it with my fingers to confirm that it IS oil. (Itā€™s not just that the plastic is a little shinier there for some reason, for example.) The oil is only on the bottom part of the lens threads ā€“ the portion that is threaded from the factory.

Since you seem fairly comfortable taking the cameras apart, @mobstaj, Iā€™m curious to know whether you see a similar oil on your cameras. I would guess that itā€™s there on yours, too.

Iā€™m pretty convinced this is what eventually fogs up the glass, especially since it seems like this IS an issue that develops over time. (Mine didnā€™t look as bad as yours, but mine is about a year newer. This person also reports that the haziness developed over time.

Anyway, hereā€™s what mine looks like. I took a video because the oiliness seemed to show up better. It was harder to show in still photos. You can see that the bottom half (top in the video) has a slick oily substance.

2 Likes