Find public IP used by camera

I have cameras at two separate locations. Whenever I lose power (due to an outage) the router obtains a new IP from my ISP. How can I determine the public IP of the camera?

1 Like

If you are behind a firewall there really shouldn’t be a public IP for the camera. Most wifi routers use NAT to provide internet access to devices connected to them. The only device that may have an actual public IP is the router, unless, of course, the ISP does NAT for that was well. Port forwarding would be the only way the camera has a public IP and most people don’t have that configured.

To track/access your Dynamic addresses, subscribe to a DNS provider. I’ve used DynDNS.

(9 of the Best Dynamic DNS Providers You Can Use for Free - Make Tech Easier)

Here is some additional information: I am using RTSP to send the video to a webpage. Whenever the router’s IP changes, I lose my stream. There are no other devices on that network so I cannot do DDNS or WhatIsMyIP. In the app, it shows that local network IP address. Obviously, Wyze has the public IP when the camera connects back to their servers.

1 Like

For your application, you really need to be using a Dynamic DNS service. That way your RTSP system is looking for a URL rather than an IP. That way, the change is automatic rather than you having to manually change the IP that the RTSP system is looking for. Some DDNS services can provide a script that can be used with SOME routers. That is what I am doing at home, but I am not running typical home routers. My router also monitors the external IP addresses and send me an E-Mail when there is a change.

You might also do something like setting up a Raspberry Pi that can run DDNS if your router can’t.

1 Like

A change in IP shouldn’t affect any thing being sent to a web page. That being said, RTSP only sends if there is a connection from an RTSP client. Are you using port forwarding to allow access to your Wyze camera? If so, then DDNS is the answer. If not, how are you providing access to the video stream?

1 Like

My router is provided my by ISP and does not support DDNS. The webpage uses the standard “rtsp://user:password@ipaddress” URL. That is why the IP change breaks my stream. Yes, I am doing port forwarding and have a static IP (internal) for the camera.

I’ve never worked with a Raspberry Pi, but I may have to look into that.

1 Like

You could also use an old laptop or headless workstation on your NAT and employ one of the DDNS apps to update the address. e.g. ddclient download | SourceForge.net

I really don’t have any space for additional equipment at that location.

I use a Raspberry Pi to host the DDNS script as well as nginx reverse proxy. The Pi is extremely small. You could probably run both on a Pi Zero. The Pi cases can be mounted on a wall but they do use a power adapter. You might be able to run one off a usb port on the router, if it has one.

1 Like