Event video playback blocked

I was forced to update the Wyze app last night as it said my version of the app could no longer be used to play event videos. After update, I cannot play event video snippets for most of my cameras (seems mostly the v2 cameras failing). Events seem to detect ok, but when I attempt to play the video snippet, I now see only a static thumbnail with a (new) play icon. When I click the play icon, I get a pop-message that says “Video events are available for Cam Plus devices. To use this feature, please go to our Services page and assign a service such as Cam Plus to this camera.” Under the Service page, I see my service (Cam Plus Lite), and all of my cameras are listed. The page will not, however, let me do anything to change the assignment for any of the cameras (e.g. to remove and then re-add them).

Tried multiple things to restore. Reboots of phone, cameras, turning off and then on the event recording. No joy.

I spent a long, slow hour on chat with support this morning, which ended with ‘submit a log’, but the support person would not honor my request that someone contact me once the problem and resolution was determined. I was told to “just keep an eye out for future app and firmware updates” (?!). Needless to say this was not an acceptable answer. My camera system is greatly impaired without the ability to view events as they occur.

So, has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution or workaround? I saw similar cases in the forum, which suggests this is a pervasive problem showing in multiple failure modes. Re-adding the cameras to the service and reconfiguring events seemed to help some cases. I can (and did) alter the event recording settings, but I am blocked from doing anything in the Services page to attempt a fix.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have the exact same issue with my V2 cameras. IOS app, latest firmware. I didn’t bother contacting support, because support has never done anything with any of the bug reports I’ve submitted. Instead of fixing things, they just add more bugs that render the whole system useless:

1. endless nuisance notifications
  2. bricked sensors
  3. events no longer work
    … I imagine the next update will brick the cameras.

Wyze is garbage, sell your stuff while you can still get a few $$s for it.

2 Likes

For Android app, just delete and sideload older version.

You will be ok. wait for new app release. just submit lots of logs using new app before you uninstall.

1 Like

Thanks much for the suggestion. I did find an archive under apkmirror.com (hopefully safe), and started installing older versions to find one that would avoid the problem.

I did not find an older version of the app that fixed the problem I was seeing, but in the course of testing, I noticed some camera settings were altered, and that turned out to be the problem. One of the updates, I think the recent forced update of the app (~Nov 20), altered the “Recording Type” setting on most of my V2 cameras. Manually checking and redoing the settings restored the event recording.

I did not find an older version that fixed the problem I was seeing, so I suspect it was something in the Wyze update process that was corrupting settings. I was able to remain on the latest app version after restoring my settings. That may be a good heads up for others generally, so I will post another thread for this.

Thanks again!

I don’t see the “recording type” setting you’re referring to. I tried toggling “record all motion events” and “record sound events” on/off, but that didn’t fix the problem.