Eufy vs Wyze Features Question

To cut to the chase I’m new to Wyze but honestly might not stay long (sorry). I love the camera design and what the company stands for but I’m looking for the camera with features that suit me. Warning: this post is not a bash Wyze and jump ship post but I’m genuinely interested in Eufy cameras the more I’m seeing them float around in this forum.

My questions are in regards to the new Eufy 2k Indoor cameras and to those that have it. The features that are a must for me include:

• Reliable (meaning instant) streaming to Google Home.

• Shared user accounts with customizable settings (like playback to the sd card and users not disabling YOUR notifications when they turn theirs off).

• Tap to speak feature (not holding down the speak button and having to wait a few minutes before you can begin speaking). I’ve heard two audio tests online and they are by far superior but I don’t know if it’s tap to speak or hold the button down.

These questions are more towards people who own or know more about the Eufy cameras. If I’m missing other cool features that Wyze has sitting on the wishlist since 2018 needing 1,001 votes before they start looking feel free to share also.

1 Like

I will endeavor to answer your questions.

Reliable (meaning instant) streaming to Google Home.

I don’t use Google Home but the Alexa experience is on a par with Wyze.

Shared user accounts with customizable settings (like playback to the sd card and users not disabling YOUR notifications when they turn theirs off).

There are two levels of sharing cameras in the Eufy app. The basic mode which lets a shared user view the live stream and any saved event clips or SD card video.

Or you can upgrade them to full unrestricted access. But like Wyze any change they make will affect all users equally.

Tap to speak feature (not holding down the speak button and having to wait a few minutes before you can begin speaking). I’ve heard two audio tests online and they are by far superior but I don’t know if it’s tap to speak or hold the button down.

The feature is identical to Wyze. You must tap and hold to speak, it’s not full duplex. The audio quality is considerably better but the usage is very similar.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks @rbruceporter that’s helpful. I may start bugging you as it seems you’ve had a fair amount of time with these cameras hehe. Might just go ahead and buy one and test out as I still have 2 weeks to return my first set of Wyze cams.

Are you able to turn the status light off? Also, I’m curious how the “cloud” works on these. I don’t anticipate going Home kit route, although I do have iphones and a built in apple tv my Vizio. How do you get alerts and then watch the videos? Is it solely on micro sd card? I’m not finding much info about their cloud if they even utilize one.

I replied in a PM. Better to keep conversations that are not relevant directly to Wyze off the main forums.

2 Likes

One question. Elsewhere I think you have talked about face recognition. I do not see this listed on the official advertising blurb on the cheap stand alone 40$ cams. Is it on these cams or only the expensive ones?

It’s a feature of HomeKit beta 14 not the camera itself. In other words the iPadOS 14, tvOS 14, and HomePod 14 betas running as Home Hubs provide the feature.

1 Like

Thanks.
One more thing…
A very attractive feature of wize recording of events is that it starts recording before the event.

Does the Eufy do the same?

This is one reason why I bought Wize and dumped my Reolink and Wanscan cameras. They recorded from the event trigger and often the event was missed.

1 Like

I think Wyze and Eufy are about equal there. No clear advantage to either. Quite honestly in the final analysis I think Wyze is perfectly acceptable for most casual use. And at their price vs features point they are pretty hard to beat. Where Wyze falls short in my opinion is in not supporting HomeKit and being less than 100% reliable for capturing important events.

Many times I have gone to look at a specific time on the SD card which is set to continuously record, only to find no video at the time slot, or the video will be jerky with skips from a half second up to several seconds.

The HomeKit issue while important to me, is probably not all that important to most customers. Even the reliability issue is not going to be terribly important for a lot of their customers.

But for simple “what’s Rover up to while I am at work?” type uses it works just fine.

2 Likes

First, I just want to say how much I’m appreciating the education that your detailed comparison conversation here is providing us quiet observers. :+1: :+1:

When comparing a $26 Wyze V2 to a $40 Eufy on Amazon, it doesn’t take many too midnight drives to remote locations for the value of my time and gas to erase that price difference.

Which is what happened last night. Turns out the Wyze cam I had installed is just fine and the customer’s cable modem is getting flaky, but I didn’t find out about it until hours later by chance.

So, question - is the Eufy any better than Wyze about immediately alerting you when things drop offline (stand alone or with HomeKit) ?

Or any other recommendations? I am REALLY getting tired of finding out about offline devices hours or days after the fact… :rage:

My bottom line is cost effective practical solutions. Not much else.

THANKS!

/EDIT - And yes, I do use healthchecks.io and cyberpower UPS uptime monitoring in different cases, but it would be soooo nice to just have it built into the doggone app that already goes with the camera! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No worries! And no I don’t think Eufy does a better job than Wyze about notifying you. HomeKit does a pretty good job but Eufy and Wyze are about on a par for that.