Direct access to SD card with download ability

And look at how many people have begged for this over how many years!

1 Like

FWIW, I managed to get bftpd running on the stock firmware to get remote access to the recordings. Working great so far.

(All the more reason why I don’t understand why this isn’t available for everyone out of the box…)

Wait what? You can’t just drop a bomb like that and walk away. Details please! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll do a better write up at some point (and maybe even whip up a few scripts to make it a bit more user friendly?), but you can read it raw here: Enable telnet without using NFS? · Issue #64 · HclX/WyzeHacks · GitHub

Here’s a quick summary (I did this all on my Mac, but any *nix like system should work)

1. Download GitHub - HclX/WyzeUpdater: A tool to push arbitrary update to wyze devices.
  2. Authenticate wyze_updater.py and enumerate your camera by running: ./wyze_updater.py --user {WYZE_email} --password ${WYZE_password} list
  3. ./wyze_updater.py update -p 18080 -d YOUR_SN_FROM_STEP_2 -f firmwares/camera_telnet.bin After a few seconds you can ctrl-c to exit. (This step uses Wyze’s update mechanism to run a small script that blanks out the root password and starts telnet so we can access the system)
  4. telnet ip.address.of.camera (login as root with no password)
  5. Use vi on your camera to add /system/init/custom_init.sh & to the beginning of the existing init script: vi /system/init/app_init.sh
  6. On your computer (not on the camera, it doesn’t have openssl), generate a password hash to store on your camera so you can login with your own password in the future: openssl passwd -1 -salt <YOUR SALT> <YOUR PASSWORD>
  7. Create your custom init script: vi /system/init/custom_init.sh You can paste in this as a starting point, swap in the output from step 6 for the placeholder below:
#!/bin/sh

echo "Starting telnet..." > /tmp/custom_init.log              
killall -9 telnetd                                           
busybox telnetd &                                            
echo "Sleeping 31s so SD can mount..." >> /tmp/custom_init.log
sleep 31                                                      
echo "Setting root password..." >> /tmp/custom_init.log
umount /etc                                                                  
rm -rf /tmp/etc                                                              
cp -r /etc /tmp/                                                             
echo 'root:$1$MYSALT$1Sy1OLRk2kTa7P6fvzwp71:10933:0:99999:7:::' > /tmp/etc/shadow
mount -o bind /tmp/etc /etc                                                  
echo "Starting bftpd..." >> /tmp/custom_init.log                   
/media/mmc/bin/bftpd -d -c /media/mmc/bin/bftpd.conf               
echo "Custom init complete..." >> /tmp/custom_init.log
  1. chmod +x /system/init/custom_init.sh
  2. (someone should just host this on a non-https site so we can just wget it directly from the internet…) Download bftpd from here and copy the file over to your SD card at /media/mmc/bin/bftpd : Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks/bftpd at master · EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks · GitHub
  3. Download the bftpd config file from here and copy the file over to your SD card at /media/mmc/bin/bftpd.conf : Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks/bftpd.conf at master ¡ EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks ¡ GitHub
    (Note, for steps 9 and 10 I just served the files locally with python and downloaded them on the camera via wget, python -m http.server 8000
  4. chmod +x /media/mmc/bin/bftpd
  5. reboot

That’s it, now every time the camera starts, it will enable telnet, set the password you specified for the root password, and start bftpd. You can now access the cameras filesystem (and SD card) with any FTP client!

3 Likes

Totally cool, and an innovative use of previous efforts. Bravo. I assume the password reset doesn’t interfere with Wyze functionality or updates? (And that you’ll have to reapply the hacks after any such update?) Thanks!

I think this will persist across updates, but I haven’t received one yet since setting it up. Worst case, you’d have to re-do steps 3/4/5.

Changing the root password shouldn’t affect anything (and is much more secure than leaving it at the stock one, which is common for everyone, especially if you’re opening up additional services like this).

1 Like

Bump

1 Like

Geez I forgot all about this. Somebody was just asking about this feature. Thanks for the bump.

Edit: Oh it was you! So glad you found this. Sorry I had forgotten about this hack.

Just confirming that yes, you do have to re-apply after each update with the bftpd mod. Files on the SD card stay at least!

1 Like

Wyze app needs the ability to record/capture/download videos from the SD card without needing to sit and re-watch the entire thing. The record button is great for short clips, but from playback there should be an option to capture a video by putting in a start and end time.
This is a standard feature with almost any other security camera system.

Also, as a side note, this should also allow you to download as a video, or as a time-lapse. It would be nice to not have to plan ahead to get a time-lapse and just download what is recorded to the SD card as a time-lapse after the event.

1 Like

Bump bump

Thanks - got this working. Had to start bftpd manually though by telneting in but i’ll look into that. I didnt know how to transfter the bftpd exe and bftpd.conf using python http, so i just pulled the memory card out of the camera and transferred those files onto it maually …

1 Like

Hey, sorry if this sounds noobish. But why can’t we install dropbear via the updater so it gets sshd?

The lack RTSP, ONVIF, and/or ‘easy’ access to our content on our SD Cards would negate one purchasing a Cam Plus Subscription… and that there is, as you stated, most likely the reason that these features will never be implemented.

I hope I’m wrong, but every time I peruse these forums, I always come away from here with that very thought… if it cuts into the cash flow of Cam Plus Subscriptions, Wyze isn’t going to do anything to cut into that Cash flow source.

SJ

2 Likes

Would love this feature, it’ll never happen. I wish I could be more hopeful about it.

This will be helpful for going through the recorded videos more efficiently.

2 Likes

It’s frustrating that Wyze is so close to having a solution and stops a step short. As far as I can tell, a subscription doesn’t give me any additional capabilities. At least none that I can see.

I’m copying the USB from the camera to my PC and it turns out that the camera already has the capabilities I want – easy to skim thumbnails that I can use to locate the video segments I want!

I see that direct access to the SD is often requested. But a NAS approach can be complicated which may be the reason it hasn’t been implemented. But writing a web server is another matter.

It would be trivially easy to implement a simple web server in the camera. It is trivially easy to implement a basic web server using TCP and taking advantage of Wi-Fi for encryption (I know, not the best practice but fine if I choose it). Supporting a simple directory view would allow me to find the video segments I want and then I could request those segments.

It is far far simpler than the existing software and would make the cameras tremendously more valuable for applications such as watching fauna in my backyard (an activity that boomed during COVID days).

It an easy win for Wyze … I experimented with this approach in 2016 (https://rmf.vc/IEEEBlinky) and have learned a lot since. It would help if Wyze used JavaScript (see ECMA TC.53) but it’s so easy that that is not necessary. And, as a bonus, a web interface can do a lot more even if most of the functionality is client-side drawn from a separate web server or app.

(Would it help to post this as a top level thread so it doesn’t get lost in the noise?)

2 Likes

As you have figured out - this is not a technical problem. It is solely marketing, or more to the point a business plan problem. Likely they are selling the hw under/close to cost. Hence Wyze will not give access to the footage and storage as it would undermine the subscription income.
One way would be to reverse engineer the networking protocol/api and create a local “wize” usurpation server and route the cams to it. Another way would be to crack the firmware and create a custom one. All hard and likely are not worth the effort as other cams provide these services. Too bad, mine is going back.

Actually, if impacting Cam Plus Subscriptions was really the concern, they could link the SD access functionality to only camera’s with Cam Plus Subscriptions. I’m glad to pay the Cam Plus price for both the event and reasonable full network speed access to all of the SD content.

Agree - not being able to pull video off my OWN camera that is stored on my OWN SD card is ridiculous.

I don’t mind paying for this ability which doesn’t cost Wyze a penny in terms of server access and traffic. I have the subscription already for better motion detection purposes. Some of us may not wish to upload home security footage to the cloud for privacy reasons.