Develop an External Infrared (IR) Blaster/Illuminator

I’m not sure if this is a new idea or one I just couldn’t find elsewhere.

How about making an option to disable onboard IR and at the same time introduce a more powerful external USB powered IR blaster. Perhaps it could have a photocell built in so it’s not on all day but even without it the energy consumption would be negligible. This will serve a few purposes.

One could install it outside to avoid the inevitable window reflection.
It could be installed some distance away from the camera to avoid bright reflection from taillights ect.
It could provide a boost to the onboard IR so it could reach deeper into the room/outside.
Also, if you think about it this would be a perfect fit since there’s already a built in USB-A port on the back of your cameras.

I can’t think of a better time to introduce this new feature than with the introduction of another fabulous and simple device.

They’re already working on turning off the onboard lights and still having night mode. As soon as this is available, I’ll probably install some off the shelf motion based (or not) IR lights. My biggest problem outside of car headlights is bugs, bugs and more bugs, so I want to move all light sources away from the camera. If you put the camera inside and the lights outside, you still have the issue of running a cord if you power it from the USB.

2 Likes

OHMYGOSHYES, the bugs! I also have spiders who set up camp on my external cameras to catch the bugs. UGH

3 Likes

It’s January, I can’t imagine what summer is going to be like.

1 Like

Yeah, mine are under a soffit so it would work perfect for me not to mention even just moving the light to another part of the window still shining out just from a different location would help. Also, if you want to move it outside you could just install a USB outlet and an in use cover in your exterior receptacle… That’s actually how I powered my camera in the first place. Another option would be to have a battery built in and a solar panel to charge said battery to use at night, this setup could be clipped to the gutter, just an idea.

Yes! I totally didn’t think of the bugs… They will be a nightmare this summer. We need to get moving on this solution.

I started another thread about separate IR sources in the other section of the forum.

Even if they are delayed in getting the off switch for the onboard IR lights, I think having other, brighter sources to attract the bugs would help with the false alarms. Feel free to toss some ideas around over there.

1 Like

Working with some of my cameras that are mounted inside looking outside highlights issues with looking through glass in night mode.

Suggest to software enable/disable the IR iluminator in the cameras and develop/support an exterior IR illuminator that could be mounted somewhere outside.

The camera should be able to see the IR light reflecting off objects iluminated by the remote iluminator without the issue due to reflection from glass windows.

The ability to turn off the integral IR LEDs was introduced in Wyze App 2.2.x. This applies to the V2 and Pan cameras (V1 hardware does not support it).

Until Wyze develops their own external illuminators, there are several available on Amazon. Make sure you get 940nm for the Pan and 850nm for the V2.

Outdoor A19 ir bulb Linda like the lifex ones

An IR emitter that is from a source other than the camera to better light faces or whatever would be nice. Having a higher end IR source which is not human visible would be nice.

1 Like

Hi,
I just setup the wyze cam outside and the ir light is pretty weak, I know this is an indoor camera, but i was wondering if you could create an ir light add on that can connect to the usb port and attach ontop of the camera for extra distance and that would be run by the camera’s evenys
Thanks

I was wondering if WYZE could develop a stand-alone IR Bulb for really dark areas? Also to assist WYZE Cam’s.

1 Like

Wyze Infrared Blaster/Emitter Sensor (or Node)

Description
This would be a product that resembles that of the newer Wyze Motion Sensor, except it is made up of high intensity, dimmable IR LEDs. Ideally, these LEDs would be used to both radiate IR light into a remote area (thus increasing the field of range for the Wyze cams) and would blast IR signals to IR controlled products within range.

Use Cases

• Nighttime WyzeCam Viewing Range:
    The Wyze Cam relies on the built in IR emitters for nighttime viewing. However, with appropriately placed IR emitters in a large room, or placed appropriately on a patio/porch, the range on the Wyze cams would be significantly improved at night.

• IR Blaster for Controlling IR Devices
    Many products in the home are currently “dumb” IR products (TVs, sound bars, receivers, fans, etc.). Hints why there is a market for products like the Logitech Harmony Hub. A IR sensory that could blast certain patterns to control (at least) basic products would be a dual purpose for this IR sensor. This product does not have to mimic the database of IR products the Harmony Hub (or similar products) has, but could simply utilize the Wyze cam to “recognize” and “learn” IR patterns from existing remotes that can be stored and then emitted from an IR emitting node to control IR products around the home.

Ideal specifications:

• Physical makeup resembling the Wyze Motion sensor (with an array of dimming IR sensors inside - for emitting and blasting)
  • Communicates with Wyze cam wirelessly (similar to existing Wyze sensors).
  • Able to utilize Wyze cam to “learn” IR remote patterns and save patterns for blasting.

Bonus:

• Potentially the same IR sensor could be used to detect temperature in the room. But that is more of a stretch.
3 Likes

Yes Yes Yes - even in the house the IR lights do not reach, looking over Amazon now for an IR Illuminator I can strap, zip-tie, glue, velcro to the TOP of my Pan Cam as I have them mounted upside down and the IR blaster will move with the camera, PLEASE lets do an IR boost… :smiley:

It looks like these might work https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Illuminator-Power-Vision-Camera/dp/B01D73XM24/ref=sr_1_5?crid=RVTBP6WYVBC9&keywords=ir+illuminator&qid=1579909078&sprefix=ir+%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-5 and this https://www.amazon.com/KUNCAN-Converter-Cable-Voltage-Connector/dp/B01ID90K4A/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=usb+DC+5V+to+DC+12V&qid=1579910106&s=electronics&sr=1-5 Have not tried it yet,but looks like it might work,

Can you look at supplying a separate IR light source that could be powered from the USB port on the camera.

Hi My post had a link for something that would run off of the wyze usb port. It looks like these might work https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Illuminator-Power-Vision-Camera/dp/B01D73XM24/ref=sr_1_5?crid=RVTBP6WYVBC9&keywords=ir+illuminator&qid=1579909078&sprefix=ir+%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-5 and this https://www.amazon.com/KUNCAN-Converter-Cable-Voltage-Connector/dp/B01ID90K4A/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=usb+DC+5V+to+DC+12V&qid=1579910106&s=electronics&sr=1-5 Have not tried it yet,but looks like it might work,

Since you replied to me, I will point out that I’m not a Wyze employee, so I have no control. But the Wyze Team will review your comment if/when they begin researching this request.

That said, I have big doubts about whether the camera’s USB port can supply enough power. Also, if the camera is indoors (as it should be), you would need the IR emitter to be outdoors (not behind the glass). A third party emitter such as those linked earlier in this topic works well for this (I’m using a couple).

1 Like

I think you look for a 120v to 12vdc and 5vdc power supply and put it a plastics box with
cover.

https://www.amazon.com/QUANS-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Lighting/dp/B00UHI3NGS/ref=sr_1_10_sspa?keywords=120v+power+supply+12v+out&qid=1580447611&sr=8-10-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTTlWUkZIUjAxV0M4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTM4NDgxMzZVRlI3WEQ3STVIMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDA2OTQ2M0VIUDlWVFU4QlMwOCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-CHGeek-Waterproof-Voltmeter-Motorcycle/dp/B07F84VVB4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=32QRUZ5C49CKZ&keywords=usb+cigarette+lighter&qid=1580447511&sprefix=usb+ci%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-5

This would allow me to put the infrared light outside and not see the infrared bouncing off the window when the camera is inside. Camera could control on an off for lighting and potentially brightness.