Connect Camera to Wifi that does not have a password?

I am helping a “Senior” friend set up a camera in her senior living facility. The complex has a new set of wifi devices that allow everyone on without a password. The app forces me to connect to wifi with a password to get them going.

Is there a way to connect to a wifi network that does not have passwords?

Thank you all!
-Brad

@Bradden Welcome to the community! Yes, you can accomplish this with a travel router by connecting the camera to the router. The router will connect to the unsecured Wi-Fi but the camera will connect to the secure connection via the router. There are several on Amazon to choose from like this one below: :slightly_smiling_face:

RAVPower Filehub, Travel Router N300, Hotspot WiFi Devices, WiFi Bridge/Range Extender/Access Amazon.com

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I have a TP Link router that can do this connection but I wanted to eliminate the need to connect to another device that could potentially fail.

If it’s not possible without the use of another device I’d like to recommend Wyze put this in as a feature request. It sounds like I’m not the only one asking for such functionality.
Thanks again!
-Brad

I disagree. The others use travel routers for security. I personally wouldn’t want this feature. The community has been asking for more security not less.

There is a Wishlist item for that which I have linked below, however, it is currently marked as ‘probably-not’. That means there is probably little chance of this. You used to be able to from my understanding but it was removed for security reasons.

2 Likes

Ok. Assuming the video is encrypted I wouldn’t think an open wifi would be an issue. It is still being transmitted from the travel router to the open wifi so I’m not sure where the added security is.

Thank you all for your help.
-Brad

People couldn’t access her camera without a WiFi password though. Backdoor.

I think depending on the WiFi router you are using, if it supports multiple SSID, you can setup a separate SSID with password, even configure it to use only 2.4Ghz frequency band. Then you can setup the camera to connect on that SSID. That is if you have access to the WiFi router administration webpage/app.

1 Like

Good idea.
The network this facility has set up does not allow client to client communication. This is probably more secure than most home users would be with an open network but I understand the concerns.

Thanks all!
-Brad