Competition is heating up

Apparently it was an Indigogo project. I found cams for sale ranging from $60 to $200+ depending on where. And a lot of the offers looked sketchy. Specs sound great but does not appear to have much of a company behind it.

I think so. Here’s an illustrative exchange from a big topic in the recent past:

1 Like

2k would only be slightly better/wider than 1080p. (2048 vs 1920, they’re both 1080). Other factors would improve quality more than adding 6.25% more lines.

2 Likes

I really don’t see the appeal of the Eufy cams. Battery-powered cams are a non-starter in my book. “Battery powered” means “motion event recording only”, which inevitably leads to situations where you miss important information because the motion sensing didn’t cut in soon enough. IMO, Wyze got it right with the flat power cable that can be run a window sill, and continuous recording with an SD card installed.

I have a lot of PoE wired cameras in my security setup (Dahua and Amcrest). The ONLY wireless cameras that I use are Wyze cams, specifically because of the low cost, the wired AC power cable, and the human figure detection.

If you’re looking to upgrade from an Arlo, or a similar battery powered camera system, then the Eufy is probably worth a look, but I don’t think Wyze is competing in quite the same space.

Of course, none of this means I wouldn’t like to see more improvements to the Wyze camera interface, specifically the addition of a web-based interface viewable on a laptop. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The new Eufy Indoor cam is wired (micro usb). It offers optional local storage via microSD, but for slightly more money than a Wyze it offers HoneKit support and higher resolution.

Neither camera is expensive but $40 vs $20 isn’t slightly more, it’s 100% more. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 cents is 100% more than 1 cent both are extremely low value. That logic is not really applicable. 20 bucks vs 40 bucks is very close in the market where most cameras are near or over 100 dollars.

I think Wyze delivers excellent value for its price. But if Eufy can deliver a camera with the published specs for 40 then they are also delivering excellent value for the amount.

I would not take anything away from either. HomeKit only matters to those in the Apple ecosystem. To the rest of the user base it is of no value.

We will have to see exactly what Eufy delivers for the retail price and decide then. :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s why I started with “Neither camera is expensive”.

It will be interesting to see if 1 Eufy is worth 2 Wyze cameras. Competition is always good for the end user.

1 Like

Competition is good, also not everyone needs or wants the same features, so choice is cool too. What I have wanted for a while is NFS recording. You can do it with Wyze but it takes some doing. It would be nice if it was baked in. Eufy has made noises that they may include that in an upcoming firmware update.

To me, that feature alone would be worth the 40 price. No more SD cards and no worries if the camera is stolen. Your footage is safe! I like HomeKit but not having it is not a deal breaker for me.

1 Like

I can only afford 1 camera. I will buy the cheaper one at a 50% discount to the more expensive one and use the $20 to buy X loaves of bread, X gallons of milk, and a People magazine.

My children are like baby birds, mouths agape. :baby: :baby_chick: :baby_bottle:   They never depict kids in People like that. :slight_smile:

Eufy is sending data to China server.

Another off my list.

1 Like

Do you know of any camera including Wyze that is not? Amazons servers are world wide including China. Amazons cloud services are used by many many IoT devices. The nature of load balancing in a networking environment almost guarantees some of your data will spend time in China, and Europe, and South America, and Africa, and the Middle East etc.

Have to agree. HomeKit could be a deal-maker/breaker for me

3 Likes

You’ve just burst a bubble. :grinning:

I was sending Wyze cam video to Google Drive and my own FTP server using tinyCam. It was getting to be too much for my Android TV box though.
I may try it again with fewer cameras and only G Drive.

2 Likes

For me it all comes down to a person detection that works. The Wyze motion is useless for setting up notifications. At night cars headlights hit my house and trip the motion no matter where the sensitivity is set or the area used.
I will give that camera a serious look.
Thanks!

I really want HomeKit. If another company designed a system which works and has HomeKit I would have to jump ship.

4 Likes

Macrumors has Anker introducing HomeKit compatible at $40 and $50 mid May, love my Wyze Cams and the disruptor they’ve been but will have to jump for HomeKit

1 Like

Wouldn’t all motion detection cams pick up headlights as motion events though? Notifications are different as you can already set up person only notifications.

Yes the cameras, and many other cameras, motion detection works by comparing frame to frame pixel changes. When the amount of changes exceeds a threshold it determines that change to be a motion event.

Wyze’s person Detection works by examining the video footage from a motion event and applying an algorithm to determine if that footage contains a person. This is called post processing because it works after the fact if you will.

The Wyze sense motion detection works as a passive infrared detector. Commonly called a PIR detector. It uses a heat source in combination with an algorithm to determine if a motion event is an object like a person or animal etc. they tend not to pick up wind blown branches and headlights.

Right now the Wyze person Detection only works on camera generated motion events not the Wyze Sense triggered videos. So that means when a camera designed for indoor use is facing the outside you are going to get a lot of false motion events.

2 Likes

When Wyze had person detection my false notifications where almost zero. Since losing that feature I have not been able to use notifications for motion.