Caught a cat burglar

We’ve had an intruder every night for the past several nights at least. My whole family slept through it every time, including our dog that barks at everything.

Cat Burglar

We’re now closing the dog door at night while we wait for a replacement with collar access only to come in.

5 Likes

Cat Burglars are notorious for coming into your home, lounging on your sofa, snacking on any food left out and in general being cute! :smirk:

1 Like

Be thankful that it wasn’t a skunk that left you with a nice aromatic gift. :rofl: :laughing: I lock my pet door at night. Highly advised!

1 Like

Does your dog go out at night? If not I would not go with the ones with the collars because those can be unlocked just by walking by it and it depends on how long it’s unlocked a cat or whatever could still come in. And it’s hard to train the dog that the collar has to basically trigger the door for him to go out and they’ll bounce into the door and not go out and get scared of the door.I would look for the doors where you can put the solid cover over them at night and then take it off during the day. That’s just my preference that I’ve seen work better. But give it a shot you never know it might work perfect for you and I hope it does.

Something similar to this

Perfect Pet The All-Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door, Medium, 7.25" x 13" Flap Size Amazon.com

1 Like

We do have the kind with the solid cover that can be slid into place but our dog does go out at night so I don’t want to keep using it all the time. Plus we are getting another puppy Friday night, so we’ll need to have as much access as possible so she can get potty trained quicker. I closed the door with the slide cover last night but one of my kids removed it at some point as the cat was found in the house again! So they’ll need some training as well. :frowning: I haven’t yet ordered the replacement door so I’ll have to keep looking. We’ve put the birds in a room we can completely close off for today so our dog can go out during the day on her own. It’s a really sweet cat that is just doing what is natural for them but we’ll have to find some solution. Thank you for the door suggestion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that’s how it probably started. My dog loves this cat, we’d seen it in our yard many times, it’s a wanderer but not a stray. The cat isn’t super interested in our dog but will somewhat tolerate her interest. I think the cat probably came in to have a midnight snack and discovered the bonus of the birds and kept coming back. We contacted the cat’s owner once by attaching a note to it’s collar, but this was when it would just visit our yard. I’ll have to add another to let them know what she’s up to now. I wonder if she is going into our other neighbor’s homes as well.

1 Like

We’ve had other critters in the house before, an opossum once and a ferret another time. We don’t know how long the cat has been coming in but I just got another camera to point toward the dog door inside the house so we can be notified of any future visit attempts. Unfortunately her visits haven’t only been at night. A skunk in the house would be really awful.

3 Likes

Please let me know how the collar pet door works out for you. I’ve had people try them and they were not very happy with how they worked and said that they didn’t trigger the door well enough and that they would trigger the doors when they didn’t need and other animals would come in etc. etc.

But I would be very interested in one myself if they work correctly. So I would really like to know your thoughts once you had time to work with it especially training a puppy that would be something I would really be interested in because were looking at getting a puppy to keep my poor little Maizy company.

You got that right! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

We had a skunk die in the crawl space under the house a few years back… I’ll let you imagine that one!

2 Likes

Hello melb
Perhaps a dog collar with a Wyze motion sensor attached to it. and another in the house shrouded and facing the pet door linked together along with a Wyze smart plug that could activate a deterrent device. When both sensors are simultaneously triggered nothing happens. But, if only one is triggered the deterrent device is actuated. Maybe a contact sensor on the pet door working in conjunction with a motion and a smart plug? Or some combination of V2, motion, contact and smart plug. Of course any of these combinations will have to be connected with the appropriate logic.

Victor Maletic

1 Like

This is a funny video. hopefully your parakeet is recovering.
This is now a long time ago, like 2004, but we were on vacation down in OR (with both dogs) and neighbor was watching the three cats. “your cats are eating like monsters” was the comment. She could not feed them enough.
Well, when we came home we could see why; raccoons had been in nibbling out of the cat bowl as well as trying to break into the large plastic bin with cat food that was on top of the fridge. could see muddy paw tracks, as well as chew marks. Cats were perfectly OK and had likely enjoyed the visitors. And yes, cat door is always closed at night after that vacation.
Would have LOVED to have had a Wyze Cam back then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Too bad there isn’t pet detection built into the cameras that could be used with Alexa or IFTTT!

1 Like

We had a door that locked just one way. We caught a raccoon on our wyze cam easily pulling the door open and coming in. Purchased a door that locked both ways. Our cat was a quick learner and we’ve had no problems since. It works by reading the chip implanted in our cat and is capable of reading multiple chips.

2 Likes

So the chip is implanted and not on a collar? And how close does the cat have to be to the door do you know? Very interested in the solution

Yes, chip is implanted in our cat, at the base of his head. The door unlocks when he places his head at the door. Stays unlocked for just seconds.

3 Likes

Yes, this! We had a chip door for our cat, worked fine, but a raccoon figured out how to pull it open - so then we got the model that has an anti-racoon setting. No further problems. (Our door is SureFlap but there may be others out there with the anti-racoon feature - it locks both ways for 10 seconds if an animal without an authorized chip approaches on the outside.)

Better if your dogs have chips anyway - if they ever go missing you are much more likely to get them back.

2 Likes