Can Wyze take accountability for extremely delayed notifications?

Still double checking those - they look about right - not sure about data growth and wifi control

What about this area - on Samsung Android 9 (not sure how 10 places or describes them):

Settings → Device Care → Memory → exclude Wyze
Settings → Device Care → Battery → Settings → Adaptive Battery - off
Settings → Device Care → Battery → Settings → Put Unused apps to sleep - off
Settings → Device Care → Battery → Settings → Auto disable unused apps - off
Settings → Device Care → Battery → Settings → Optimize settings - off

I think you’re right. The ‘old’ app is doing somewhat better this evening, but not enough that I’d recommend it at this point.

And all alerts have to go from the cam to Wyze to be distributed to each device ‘signed up’ for them, right? So maybe there’s something wonky with what the Wyze servers send out - like it’s not a high priority ‘wake up now’ code, but a lower level one? I really don’t know enough about the nuts and bolts of this stuff…

Been wondering similarly!

My thoughts were more about the carrier pre-installed apps and settings, but your idea is more likely.

Yes, I have a slightly different mix of apps on the test phones, also one is a Verizon and one is Sprint/Boost mobile - but am using both wifi only. I have not rooted them, but did clean them up as much as possible when I started using them. ( Die Bixby, Die! ) I have another Verizon of the same model, and the correct thing to do would be factory reset the two Verizons and only install the different Wyze apps for comparison.

The Pixel does not have some of the settings you referenced with the exception of Adaptive Battery. I turned Adaptive Battery off and it was noticeable difference in the battery drain, but not enough to worry about. Turning it back on, keeps the phone similar to the iPhone, somewhat better. In both cases, the issue still existed, so I decided not to turn that off.

I agree with your opinion here. In my job, we write apps for iOS. The process to get timely notifications to the phone is a bit involved. If not done correctly, they are delayed or you don’t get them at all. I am sure Android is the same way.

1 Like

I don’t think that is the case. My experience has been as follows: While using the phone or recently set down, the Alerts come in. I then put the phone down and set my iPhone next to it. after a period of time, the Alerts stop coming in on the Pixel but the iOS they still display. During this period, my Arlo Camera has notified me which triggered both phones to Alert. Even though the Pixel Alerted on the Arlo motion, none of the Wyze Alerts came through. I then opened the phone and was flooded with a number of Wyze Alerts.

So, as everyone has been saying, if Arlo and Eufy Cam can get the Alerts to come through, Wyze should be able to as well. There are a lot of setting which need to be set to indicate the urgency of the Alert. It is possible that something is not being set correctly or one of the updates to Android changed how this worked.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

1 Like

Yes, makes perfect sense. And if this bugs you as a programmer, there’s gotta be something wrong!

Good point! I missed this because I intentionally tried to narrow the variables by having only the Wyze app allowed to send notifications while testing. ( I was usually listening for alerts rather than being there watching them ) But, yes, we have a couple of Blinks and I never recall any alert weirdness with them.

Yeah, I mean, the alerts worked properly on Android at one time, didn’t they? I don’t recall an issue, but maybe it was an older Android version that wasn’t as dozy…

Amen!

1 Like

I’m just popping by to say that I don’t have an update but I am still watching the developments in this thread.

3 Likes

Thanks for popping in… :slight_smile:

Since this discussion is all over the Wyze forums, can you let me know if there is a consolidated location pertaining to these notification delays on Android devices? Also, as I offered before, if Wyze Developers would like to test a potential fix, before the app goes to Beta, please feel free to reach out. I would be glad to perform some basic testing to see if the issue has been resolved.

As you can ascertain from the thread, it is easy to reproduce and therefore, would be easy to test as well.

thanks

1 Like

(Pssst. How much would you be willing to pay to have this taken care of. I know a guy who knows a guy. Just sayin’…)

LOL, I can’t not reproduce it.

I tried the ADB route again last night, and sadly I just cannot get the commands in my Terminal to work. I followed the exact steps multiple times, carefully typed in the exact commands suggested in an above thread by jaffkey, and my Terminal doesn’t seem to recognize the ADB folder sitting right there on my desktop. Then tried putting the unzipped platform-tools folder into downloads and typed in cd~/Downloads/platform-tools, which is the exact title of the folder, and the response is still “no such file or directory”.

Next, I dragged and dropped the platform -tools folder directly into the terminal window, which then looks promising, as it looks like its right there no problems. Then plugged in the phone to the mac, USB is set to file transfer mode, USB debugging is turned on, type in ./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable , and the response I get is -bash: /Users/Macbook/Downloads/platform-tools: is a directory.
That’s it. Tried it many times and no joy… BTW, for some reason this imac was titled Macbook by the original owner, not sure why.
Maybe this imac’s OS is so ancient (it really is) the version of Terminal is somehow different and doesn’t want to play? Shame really, because otherwise it seems like it should pretty straightforward.

So, as long as I’m not able to get the ADB doze disable thing working, my only prayer is that WYZE can come up with a fix… Help me @UserCustomerGwen…you’re my only hope :wink:

Edited * just had a large batch of notifications arrive… 57 minutes after the fact :roll_eyes:

Edit from Sunday Morning* A new worst. Notifications bloom at 11:32 am telling me I should check out the event(s)…which occurred at 10:08 am. C’mon, that’s horrible. And these only came in after unlocking the phone, so who knows how long they’d have taken to come in, if at all.

With all of the testing in this one, I’m actually using this as my default thread at this point. I’d recommend continuing to use this one.

I know that this report is being shared and investigated but I can’t promise resolution timelines.

5 Likes

It’s greatly appreciated! I’ll for sure be checking in and more than happy to help test anything out as we go.

2 Likes

Thank you for your assistance! :smiley:

This article reviews a different company’s camera, but he mentions the same problems with his multiple Wize cameras that I was having. Several of the points he mentiones match what I ran up against.

I’ve now bought 2 of these cameras and also the matching doorbell and like it a lot better than the wize cameras simply because it alerts almost instantly and the picture quality upgrade is incredible.

There are a few negatives as the options do not allow nearly as robust a programming schedule for on and off times as the wise camera does. There actually is no programming schedule that I could find. Also I don’t believe you can set individual tones for alerts per camera and I believe on the wize you could.

I am sure that if wize had offered a newer 2K camera with the response time fixed for alerts I would bought them and never have left.

I hope it’s OK to post this review here just for information and comparison since the author had wize cameras and refers to them several times. If not I will remove it. Please let me know, ty.

2 Likes

I think it is an excellent point by point comparison of the two products. Thanks for posting it! In addition to alerts and RTSP, the bit about video scrubbing was especially pertinent to my concerns.

And of course, I was greatly amused that it mistook a stuffed animal for a pet! If that’s the greatest failing, I think I can live with it! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Has there been any progress on the issue of delayed notifications at Wyze? I have Wyze cameras (3), contact sensors (6), and motion sensors (3). I hesitate to get even deeper into the Wyze ecosystem with outdoor cameras if I need to use ADB to disable deviceidle every time I reboot my Google Pixel 4.

1 Like

Nope. Plenty of updates over the last few days to firmware and the app, but this glaring issue for Android users remains unsolved. I’m in the same boat, already invested by a lot, but unwilling to go further with the outdoor cam unless this is resolved., which at this point? Feels like it’s not a priority, doesn’t it?

It is a priority but we haven’t figured out how to improve this yet. I’m sorry to say that I don’t have an update on it yet but I’m continuing to poke the team.

2 Likes

Aww, cheers, and I’m feeling like a big shmuck for my comment :frowning: Apologies plz! And thanks muchly for the update and pokes to the team on this.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, WyzeGwendolyn. I’ll be patient knowing that if Eufy, Arlo, and Blink can get it right (as mentioned in this thread), Wyze should be able to!

2 Likes

No need to feel like a schmuck, @nilscp! I definitely understand why you felt that way. I’ll keep poking the team about this. We appreciate the support from you and @jeffkey. I also believe that we can make this work! :smiley:

It just is taking more time than any of us would prefer because of the complications with it.

3 Likes