Cam Pan V2 not showing color in night vision

I’m not getting color with night vision like the website showed.
I’ve tried with IR on and off and nothing.

IR On and NVM Auto

IR On and NVM Off

Website demo picture

Both night vision modes need SOME light to operate. Take your bottom comparison. The Cam Pan shows there is a faint light in the room (probably blackout curtains in the afternoon). The Pan V2 takes that faint light and makes a very nice picture, showing the effectiveness of the starlight sensor.

In the top picture there is no generalized faint light. Just the glow of cracks, or night lights behind furniture. Whereas those areas are lit, the room is not. Since the starlight sensor is not sensitive to the IR lights being on without being in night vision, it has no light to work with.

The very top picture is night vision on with the IR lights on. Turn the IR lights off, and it will be as dark as the second pic (maybe darker).

Both need SOME general light to work. For most people a yard light can provide enough light. Without the yard light you are at the mercy of the clouds and the moon phase, and without a cloudless full moon you will probably be disappointed.

In your situation, I’d use the settings of the top picture. Standard night vision with the IR lights turned on. I don’t know an easy way to put something is that room that would just glow a little in visible light without being a minor distraction to someone sleeping there.

4 Likes

Newshound,
Thank you for the explanation.
That was very helpful.

Brad

2 Likes

You were not the only one that was disappointed by this. The color night vision is very misleading with the Pan V2, I would argue false advertising even. In my testing this is no different than my Pan V1s. I have been testing the V2 extensively and even in rooms with a small lamps on, it’s still black and white. Pan V2 drops the ball big time. Not worth the extra money. Also a side note, the demo picture doesn’t show any “general light” at all, it shows a dark room, even darker than the OP’s room.

1 Like

You can’t have normal night vision on if you want to see color night vision. Color night vision is an extension in sensitivity of normal daytime mode. If you see a B&W picture, your normal night vision is still engaged. Turn it off.

1 Like

Same exact experience for me, I found the color night mode terrible and completely useless. I swapped a v1 with a v2 and saw zero difference. Will be going back to v1 and save $50.

1 Like

Horse hockey. Little bit of bg. I know sensors. My pan v2 with in a room set up as the example on the website produces nothing even remotely close to the example. In fact with nightvision on and IR off my videos are still black and white. If I wasn’t a noob to list I would upload the the images. NO MATTER WHAT SETTINGS NIGHT VISION IS BLACK & WHITE. YES THEY ARE It has nothing to do with how dark as if Imturn off nv you can see some color vs nv no color ir on or off.

1 Like

Night Vision is always B&W. Always. It is a false mapping of wavelengths you can’t see, to wavelengths you can see. They use a B&W scale as the receiving scale. So Night Vision is always B&W.

But we are talking extended daytime vision here, “color night vision” if you will. The Starlight sensor. You will notice that the room in the example on the Pan Cam V2 website has a lit window. It was taken in daytime. Only 3:37 PM in July, to be exact. Thus plenty of light for the daytime sensor, but with the curtain closed not nearly enough for the original Pan’s daytime sensor. So not Night Vision (as you are still in daytime mode), but illustrates the extended range of the Starlight daytime sensor in real-world darker conditions. :slight_smile:

Well then it’s a straight up lie isn’t it because it says color night vision not color not really dark room in the afternoon vision. Especially since you have to actually turn night vision to off for it to be in color it can’t be an auto and it can’t be in on because if both of those settings are on it will flip to night vision which is only black-and-white the whole thing‘s a lie

1 Like

Maybe “color at night” vision.

In any case they are simply trying to illustrate how much better it is at seeing at night than the previous model was. :slight_smile:

Well they chose how to poorly. But where else can I get a cat tracking security camera for less the. $50 bucks. It is a good little camera.

I would pay to see horses :racehorse: play hockey :ice_hockey:!

I love horses :racehorse: and I love hockey :ice_hockey:.

What a hoot :owl: that would be! :joy:

This is complete crap! I too bought (2) Wyze Cam Pan V2 to upgrade to the color night vision. There is NO color night vision. I have the Wyze Cam V3 (that do not pan) and those work at night in full color. The Wyze Cam Pan V2 no matter how many different settings I play with does not show in color. Honestly this is complete bull. I’ve definitely been scammed out of the $$ for nothing. Super disappointed in Wyze for this one. So far zero response from customer service. I’d like a refund for these (2) cameras.

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @Bgailius! :raising_hand_man: Glad to have you aboard!

What does it show? Can you post a screenshot of what the cam is showing you and your Advanced Settings Page? What Firmware version is installed onto the cam?

Absolutely true. Here is “color” night vision. `100% false advertising. I have to V3’s that actually DO have night vision, so I know what it looks like.

When you are in the live view screen looking at this, what does the green icon in the top right show?

If you press this icon, it will change the Infra Red Night Vision settings.

• On = Black & White all the time
  • Off = Color Vision all the time
  • Auto = Cam will decide based on the light levels. Once light levels drop to the preset threshold, the cam will automatically switch to Infra Red Black & White.

If, when you toggle this icon to OFF, it does not revert to color vision, then there is a bug in the Firmware that needs to be reported. If, however, it does switch to Color, the cam and firmware are operating properly.

The IR Night Vision must be OFF in order to get Color Night Vision when the light levels drop below the preset thresholds.

These settings correspond to the Cam Advanced Settings:

Note that it is possible to have the IR Night Vision in Auto or On with the IR emitter lights Off. This is for users who opt for an external IR Illuminator.