Cam Door mounting base question?

I am curious what the black rectangular piece on the mounting base just above (and in the way) of the mounting screw holes is and what it does?

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze community!
I’m not too sure what your talking about.
Currently, only the outdoor camera has mounting screws and holes. I haven’t herd of or seen a “black piece” blocking the screw holes on the camera. My outdoor camera doesn’t have that ether. If your asking about a bata product do not use this forum! Use:
Welcome to the Wyze Laboratory community
If you’re not talking about a bata product, please give more information.

1 Like

Sorry!
Thought I had uploaded a picture. The question is about the mounting base where the screw holes are. There is a black pice mounted between the 2 screw holes on the inside of the holes area.

@2thguy I remember the black rectangular piece on the mount. I think it is a magnet is my guess. If I didn’t have to get my ladder out I would confirm it for sure. You can test it with a metal object and see if it is magnetic. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, my ladder was still up. :wink:
It’s not a magnet. Small screw which was attracted by a screwdriver had no attraction.

1 Like

Strike out on that one then. :upside_down_face: I’ll ask the other @Mavens and see if they know. It’s got to have some purpose and I’m curious to know as well.

Looks like the other way around. Looks like just a metal piece that I’d have to guess helps the magnet in the arm mount stow the mount flat. The magnet is in the arm, and that connects to the metal plates on the top and bottom of the WCO, and I guess the mount also.

My magnet chip clip stuck to it.

4 Likes

That makes sense. :+1:t2: Thanks for checking it out.

2 Likes

Well that one’s solved! :grinning:

2 Likes

More photos from the photo shoot for reference.

5 Likes

I was wondering about this, too, and just didn’t even think to ask here.

I had the same question. Tks for asking.

2 Likes

Now we know what it is, but how are we supposed to use the mounting holes? They’re pretty much blocked

1 Like

You have to use the included screws. Watch the install video. I do think that they should have just made holes in the base. You have to use the included screws and slide-in holes. Drilling new holes is always an option, but it might void your warranty.

1 Like

It’s very easy actually. The mount has a key slot and it only takes one screw. Watch the mounting video as Brlepage suggested. Position the screw where you want it first then slip the cam mount down over the screw and tighten. Done! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree! This is a poor design.
I tried to find shorter screws with about the same head size because the place I was mounting wasn’t fit for the longer screws PLUS trying to screw such small, long screws almost inevitably ends up with a buggered up screwdriver hole and the screw not fully seated.
The right thing to do, in my opinion, would have been to make the base plastic about twice to 3 times as thick and put holes about 3-4mm in size in all 4 corners.
WYZE support has still been unable to explain what that box-like thing in the base between the 2 screw holes is. In my mind it is bad design and in the way of installation.

1 Like

You should add this to the #wishlist!

That is a black plastic cowboy hat to put on your outdoor cam. It does not serve a purpose, it is just a toy that was added to orders for those who pre-ordered.

Just an FYI - There is a female UNC screw hole under the camera if you’d rather use your own mount.