Bulbs Offline After Power Outage, Wont Reset

Yeah that’s confusing :neutral_face:

It does say “support for” as opposed to stating it contains the feature independent of the app. But I wager the majority of folks will read that as it’s ready to use.

I wager that to , that was my initial thoughts .
Why would it be listed as a new function , but then it has to have the new beta app to function, if it doesn’t function with the general production app , it should say that you need the beta app.
Or maybe it was supposed to work with that general production app but it just doesn’t

1 Like

We’re planning on releasing the 2.8 app in the near future (early next week, if all goes according to plan). That will enable the control for everyone. The release notes are intended to show the changes in the versions but sometimes there are features that are not fully available until the app comes out. In a similar vein, the new camera firmware prevents person detection but the app won’t reflect that until it is updated later.

5 Likes

It works!

1 Like
  • Updated my bulbs to firmware 1.2.0.183

• Updated my iOS app to 2.8.20

• Set each bulb’s Power Loss Recovery setting to “Maintain Previous State”

• Experienced short power outage last night

• All 3 bulbs were not able to reconnect after power outage

• All 7 of my cameras were able to reconnect after power outage

• I am away from home for several days and unable to manually set bulbs to pairing mode

• Firmware update for bulbs = FAIL

Try to delete one of them in the app and reconfigure it.

Sadly only this solved my issue after a week trying to setup a bulb without removing it on the app :sweat_smile: If you fix it that way then you can report it to Wyze Support and get help to fix it.

I have mine configured for maintain previous state. On purpose, I switched the power off to that fixture which has 4 bulbs installed and is setup as one group. The bulbs were off when I turned the power off to them. Left it overnight (to simulate a power outage) and this morning turned it on and it stays on. Doesn’t seem to work well.

I wonder if the setting is maintained “on the bulb” or in the cloud. In the cloud would mean the bulb would have to successfully reconnect to the WiFi and then the cloud in order to determine its configuration. Your experience would seem to point towards that.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Or different? Since the new option came out we have had two power outages, both in the early morning hours, both less the 10 minutes in duration. In both cases we woke up to the light being in the “off” state which was expected as we have the power loss recovery set to “maintain previous state” which was off.

What I don’t know is if the bulb initially came up as on, then connected and turned off since I was asleep both times.

Have to experiment some I guess.

I don’t know but I did have to manually turn the group off as it never went back off after my test. Perhaps @UserCustomerGwen can help

2 Likes

I’ll send this over to the team. I don’t have good advice at this point but I’ll make sure they see it!

Could you please send in logs through Account > Help & Feedback > Report an Issue if you are able to recreate this problem?

2 Likes

@AlbanyHDTV If you can share your bulb logs with us, our engineers would be able to look into what happened.

1 Like

Done. Just sent my log file

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Thank you @jtwrace!! What was your support ticket number?

Hello @Kimj it is 463582

However, I got this back already which is totally not what I was thinking this option was. “Previous State” to me means that if it’s off, it will go back off, if it’s on, it goes back on when power is lost.

I get that you have concerns with the light bulb status. Wyze bulbs are designed to turn “On” by default if the bulbs lose its network connection. This is to function as regular bulbs as a safeguard against being useless after a power outage, unexpected internet disconnection.

You can also check the link attached as your reference: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030673552-Can-Wyze-Bulbs-be-controlled-through-any-means-other-than-the-Wyze-app-

I hope I have given you my utmost assistance for this matter still. Please let me know if you need help with anything else. Just reply to this email and I’d be delighted to help you all the way. Thanks and cheers for the rest of the day. Stay awesome!

This pretty much sums it up:

Yes, you can control the Wyze Bulb a few ways.

Light Switch

You can turn the Wyze Bulb on/off with a light switch.

Note: Wyze Bulb will return to the color temperature and brightness that it was in prior to being turned off with a light switch. If there is a total loss of power due to an outage or other reasons, Wyze Bulb will turn on regardless of the previous state.

I just sent in my logs for one of my 3 bulbs.

Ticket 463851

1 Like

Thank you @AlbanyHDTV!

@jtwrace Your understanding is correct! We’ll make sure customer support has the up-to-date information. Our engineers are also looking at why your bulbs turned on when the previous state was off.