Bulb user-controlled dimming and color shift timing (sleep routine)

That’s cool :sunglasses:
I like how you can put the same device in different routines with Alexa.
Just before I got the bulbs I got another echo dot so I can just go in the bedroom turn off any lights that are on,
I have 12 wyze bulbs in the house and 3 plugs that are attached to plug in lights , I set up one routine when I say , “Echo, Emergency” , all those lights come on at once , ( bulbs come on cool white 100% ) in case something crazy happens at night the whole house is lit up including the basement.
I think one more echo dot and it should be able to hear me no matter where I am in the house.

1 Like

I would love this too. Right now I have a bunch of routines set up starting at 2% and increasing gradually. Sadly, 2% is more like 20% so it’s not peaceful.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but that may be a hardware limitation. A lot of dimmable LED bulbs seem to behave this way. Gradual dimming itself shouldn’t be a hardware limitation, but the minimum brightness may be.

Nice. Yeah, I have an Echo Dot in the bedroom and one in the living room. I use Alexa mainly, but I got a free Google Home Mini when I bought my thermostat, so I have that in the living room, too. Mainly just useful for the hacky two-device routine I mentioned above.

I’m pretty sure I got the first Echo Dot for free, too, although I don’t remember specifically what it came with. Haha. The second one I bought, but I think I only paid 25-ish.

1 Like

I bought both of my dots cheep on black friday , looks like i’ll be doing the same this year and that should be enough of those

1 Like

Looks google home and Hue can do this now. Don’t have Hue so not sure how well it is executed. Use Gentle Sleep and Wake with your smart lights - Google Nest Help

1 Like

Hey guys!!

I’m relatively new to the whole Wyze ecosystem and so far I’m loving it.

I recently got the smart bulbs and so far so good. But aside from being able to turn off or on and change the color temperature remotely, I was wondering if there were more advanced features.

Specifically, an option to have the color shift gradually over the course of the day. In the morning it would be cool, but shift warmer at night within a range I set it at. I don’t intend to keep the light on all day, but when I do turn it on, it would be nice to have it already at the color temp I want it.

Is such a thing possible? If not, I would love to see it added in an update!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community.
You could create scenes for the various times of day and then set a routine to turn on each scene at its best time.
That doesn’t answer your idea for a gradual change but that’s not yet available so this might be a work around in the meantime.

1 Like

Alexa now has the ability to gradually change light bulbs from one intensity to another over a period of time.

So as long as your bulbs are Alexa enabled (like Wyze bulbs), you should be able to make an Alexa Routine to do this.

3 Likes

Nice! I’ll check my Alexa app. Did they just add this?

Independent of whether the bulbs are on or off, it would be nice if they could be a little cooler during day/sun hours and gradually fade to warmer soft white as the sun goes down. This would also benefit from the app having the ability to use sunrise/sunset as triggers. This would truly unlock the power and versatility of a color-temp variable bulb.

6 Likes

@nerdland @Wrecks0 Did either of you try the Alexa dimming functionality? I’m considering getting a Wyze bulb and have my fingers crossed that the Alexa dimming skill (link below) will make up for the lack of Wyze dimming functionality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G4XRFPC74SLMCK72&tag=theverge02-20&ref_=nav_ya_signin&

1 Like

Bulbs power on instantly when flipping the switch, but power on gradually from dim to bright over about 1-2 seconds when using the app or sensors. Would like the app and or bulb hardware command to offer an instant on option for bulbs.

1 Like

Good find! I just update the Alexa app on my phone and the dimming function is awesome.

I tried to set that up 2 test it but it didn’t work probably didn’t do it right

I’m having the same difficulties. If I figure out how to make it work I’ll post here to help you out.

1 Like

I did try it out when they first launched it a few weeks ago, and I found it to be somewhat lacking. I tried to fade up over about a minute, but it only seemed to hit about two brightness levels. It wasn’t very smooth. It’s possible they’ve improved it since then.

1 Like

I could not get Alexa to ramp the brightness with the Wyze bulb. It would be great if wake and gradually ramp brightness was built into the Wyze app.

1 Like

Yeah the dimming functionality showed up in the Alexa app and so I thought it was working correctly. Unfortunately I found out that I have been waking my kids up 30 min early because the light goes straight to full brightness and doesn’t fade in over 30 minutes. :pensive:
Not sure if this a wyze bulb issue or an alexa issue…
Please wyze add this function :grin:

1 Like

You can do it in a manual way with Alexa. Spacing out brightness percentages with 5 seconds between each one. When I saw Alexa implemented something, I was hoping it was doing something at least as good as this, but it’s not. I haven’t totally figured out what the new built-in Alexa feature is supposed to do. It seems like maybe it will only change it incrementally every 30 seconds or so. I agree it would be nice to see something smoother built into Wyze directly.