Beta Testing for Wyze Cam v3 RTSP Firmware Now Available!

The Eufy C24 indoor cam for $35 … rock solid RTSP and ZERO need to Internet connection. If using the Wyze for any Security and it “requires” an Internet connection , then its “NOT” intended for true Security related tasks. There are many vendors at many price points that do RTSP and ONVIF that are more suited for true Security related use. Wyze may provide some convenience and a great price but are far from being a Security purposed commodity. EUFY C24 detection email updates have also been rock solid comparing to the Wyze V3 offering. Wyze is more tuned to being a high end baby monitor way more than any Security related tasking…

I’m surprised we don’t see more posts about Dafang Hacks firmware here. (It’s not forbidden as far as I know.). If they’ve managed to get it working on V3s that would be a viable way to use them with RTSP with no Internet connection.

(I’ve only used it on a V2 that absolutely refuses to boot any Wyze firmware any more. It’s terribly slow though.)

Im going with Amcrest because they are just a few more bucks than Wyze…about $48 per camera and they are 5 MP with also Starlight sensor and look way better than Wyze.

I also use Blue Iris so all motion detection and notifications are handled very nicely in Blue Iris.

1 Like

I’ve tried to install Dafang several times without luck, so I ended up giving up. Instruction in Github are useless and very confusing.

1 Like

If I were to get a Eufy… I would get the Eufy 2k indoor which also has RTSP and it’s only $39.99 and as long as you keep them away from rain and direct sunlight, they would be great for outdoors.

Remember, the Wyze cams v2 were not for outdoors, but a lot of people used them outdoors including myself and I have never had an issue.

Or even the Reolink E1 Pro which is 2.4/5ghz and Ethernet.

So, what is your conclusion for this V3 RTSP BETA firmware?
As a Blue Iris owner, I would say that it’s good for the price of the camera but because it’s not locally reliable (constant disconnections after a power up when offline), I would use it more as a pet monitor than a real security camera. So either I get rid of my cameras, or I get a pet :rofl:

1 Like

I’m completely satisfied. I recognize that the combination of a$35 camera and beta firmware is not going to deliver the same as $200 cameras. Value for money spent is awesome.
I also agree for true security cams look elsewhere. I use them as a means to participate as I become more bed bound due to end stage illness.

Get a Yorkie, can’t find a better buddy.

I notice that even if I remove the cameras completely off the Wyze app, I can still view them in Blue Iris…so, can Wyze still see my cameras even though they are not connected to the Wyze app?

Installed the firmware on my ne V3. Unfortunately it’s plagued by constant freezing for up to 30s at a time and reminds me of the performance of the V2 camera firmware prior to the last update. Also there is quite a noticeable lag most of the time in the stream.

( I should add that all my v2 cameras currently perform admirably with RTSP and if not for the much better starlight sensor in the V3 I wouldn’t upgrade at all.)

I’ve attempted every conceivable setting (lower res, all options turned off etc) but am unable to fix it so back it goes into the box until the guys at Wyze can fix this in a future update. (if the v2 can be sorted, no reason why the v3 can’t be as well)

Yes of course. That is the real point of the RTSP firmware.

yes this is a known issue with the RTSP and v3s - specially if you block internet access on them.
What i’ve done that work better is give them internet, but limit their bandwidth to the lowest I can which is 0.1 Mbps - but this is only if you use a 3rd party program to view the live feed…something like Tiny Cam or Blue Iris… if you only use Wyze app then this will make them useless…but anyway…why would anyone who uses RTSP wanna keep using the Wyze app when all features like motion alerts don’t work with RTSP anyway!

Well that shouldn’t be the case - once the stream starts it’s all local between camera and viewer, so it should be full speed regardless of the Internet allocation.

When I try to view the cameras using the Wyze app, they just spin and spin freeze or won’t connect because the bandwidth is too low…but they work flawlessly with Blue Iris and TinyCam.

I have also removed 3 of the 6 cameras completely off the Wyze app and they still work in Blue Iris and TinyCam. - Motion alerts is almost instant with Blue Iris… Wyze motion alerts take for ever in comparison.

Blocking internet makes no difference to the stream, all that happens is that the camera settings can’t be accessed from the app anymore. My v2’s are blocked from the internet but that doesn’t affect performance.

Unfortunately the v3 performs the same (poorly) with or without an internet connection.

I’ve just tried putting it on tinycam pro, the rtsp stream simply fails from time to time also.

1 Like

It does when the blocked cam doesn’t see something that it wants (connection to P2P network, etc.) independent of the stream itself and then does some sort of reset to try it again which kills the stream. Which seems to be what’s happening if they don’t have Internet access when they start up. They’ll then drop off regularly at about 3-5 minute intervals. They’ll come right back up but, yeah, something that they need to fix. Along with adding more setup options under RTSP (local NTP server address, etc.).

However in my case even if the camera has internet access it still freezes/drops off (can be anywhere from a few seconds up to half a minute) so I’m at a loss as to why. Network bandwidth does not appear be an issue.

blocking internet does make a difference. These cameras are known to keep wanting to “phone home”, meaning try to connect to the Wyze servers even on RTSP which is the reason V3 keep disconnecting every few minutes.

Understood, thanks. But as I said, even with internet access allowed I keep getting freezes. Does that mean the connection process makes the RTSP stream drop regardless?

I’ve also noticed my v2s perform much better on RTSP than the v3s. I’ve also read that some V3 have wireless issues were the wireless adapter they have is not as strong and if you have only 2 bars of signal strength, it causes connectivity issues as well…try making sure your v3 cameras always have full signal bars… also try changing the wireless channel to 1,6 or 11… choose the less crowded one.