Automatically restart the devices if it can't connect to wyze

As many, many, many users have commented on various platforms, there is an issue with the live stream cameras disconnecting and failing to reconnect, requiring a manual touch of the “reload” button that pops up. This makes the cameras very inefficient for a always-on live stream, as I currently have set up on a dedicated iPad with my 4 cameras around the property.

From what I have read, this issue is a result of the cameras disconnecting, failing to reconnect, then giving up trying to reconnect. Yet, the manual click of the button never fails to refresh the connection. Could you please set this up to automatically “push the button” and re-establish a connection?

I understand with all the wireless interference, 100% connection up time may be unattainable. But if you can at least automatically and continuously attempt reconnection, it would be a huge improvement.

Currently in the settings, I see no way to control timeout, auto-retry, or any connection settings for live stream. This has been an issue for years and the “connection bug fixes” have yet to solve the problem.

[Moderator Note: This is a merged #wishlist submission.]

1 Like

I find it really frustrating that simple fixes like this aren’t fast tracked. Would make the platform so much more robust and usable and improve the reputation of the Wyze brand. I’m sure one of the common complaints heard by potential customers are experiences of intermittent issues like this. Implementing a simple “IF connection not detected after X seconds THEN attempt re-connection/reset” rule in the device firmware would go a long way to improving the platform & its reputation.

2 Likes

No kidding. October 2018 to April 2020. New products, new versions, several firmware upgrades, and no solution. As a programmer myself, this should be a fairly simple fix if the software is designed well. The button simply calls some function that forces a reconnect. Just start a new thread when a disconnect happens and attempt reconnect every 5 seconds or something. Like 30 minutes to fix, a couple hours of waiting for a camera to disconnect to test, roll to production. Boom. Update tomorrow, Wyze?

EDIT: Here you go:

boolean enableAutoReconnect; //Enable this as a checkbox in Settings
final int autoReconnectWaitTime = 5000; //Constant, milliseconds to wait before trying auto reconnect
//Add this whereever you are currently checking to display the "refresh" button when connection timesout
if(enableAutoReconnect)
	tryAutoReconnect(cameraID)
//Here is your new asynchronous function
public void tryAutoReconnect(int cameraID){
	boolean runnable = true;

Thread thread = new Thread(){
		public void run(){
			while(runnable){
				if(refreshConnection(cameraID)) //Call whatever function clicking the refresh button does, assuming returns true/false
					runnable = false;

Thread.sleep(autoReconnectWaitTime);
			}

}
	}

threat.start();
}
1 Like

The biggest problem is this likely would hurt the people using the camera for offline SD-card recording. Not a perfect solution there either, as they still need the Internet to start up, but after that they are golden as long as the camera doesn’t reboot.

What Wyze needs to do is find a solution that fixes both issues, and that probably requires a more involved rewrite that puts it down on the agenda ATM.

The need to auto-reconnect is not driven by the camera, but by the Wyze app on the device viewing the video feed.
The software needs to re-connect to the camera, which is always possible by manually tapping the button on the screen. We need this step to be automated.

The camera does not need to be physically reset or rebooted.

The tweak to the software would not affect a camera recording to SD offline.

Granted your version does not need the camera to be rebooted, but others here do require it. I agree, your version needs a fix now, IMO. There should be no reason to touch the screen to restart the feed, which happens multiple times a day.

Perhaps a hub on your local network with the Wyze services software on it, broadcasting out siren song packets to Wyze devices saying “connect to me” and only forwarding them to the real Wyze services when the internet connection is up (or when you want them to).

There was a thunderstorm and I have two Wyze light bulbs at this address. One I was able to reset but the other one took itself offline without me doing anything to it. It was offline when I opened the app. I have had this happen at my other address where I also have two Wyze light bulbs.

It must be a design flaw and nothing can apparently be done remotely when a light bulb takes itself offline, until someone returns to that address to fix it. That could be 4 – 5 months without the use of that light bulb (s). As I said that is a design flaw that needs to be fixed as I’m sure I’m not the only one who has experienced this issue. We should be able to bring light bulbs back on line remotely

2 Likes

This is an enhancement report. I’m a software developer so I think like one.

I have a huge house, so I’m this kind of customer buying more camera from Wyze. (read important customer).

Because I have a huge house, I also have a mesh network, meaning, many router/access point that handle the all area.

If one of these router/access point is reset, or down for small to big duration, the Wyze Cam may end-up to connect to a very weak/far router. At this point it’s not really working, and cannot even access the cloud itself… When the close router/access point is up again, the Wyze Cam is not reconnecting/fixing itself to connect to the closest/best router.

In short this is asking that you implement roaming, or in a more simplistic view, that you have a watchdog that reset the Wyze when not able to connect to the Internet.

We call that a watchdog, in software: Watchdog timer - Wikipedia(sometimes%20called,%2C%20or%20%22timing%20out%22.

2 Likes

Good idea! :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve also had connection issues with a mesh during rural power blips and outages, especially during summer storm season. Naturally all routers and modems are on UPSes, but not every single smart device and access point…

What seems like a simple baby step towards this would be a watchdog on the Wyze servers that would notify the app when devices dropped offline. Wouldn’t fix the issue, but at least you would know about it immediately rather than not until you randomly have time to to look at the app.

This has also been languishing as a “not-in-your-lifetime” Wishlist item for a year and a half… :rage:

2 Likes

This happens for me with EVER STORM and with more storms and more power “hiccups”, this is starting to make these camera unusable. Please add a function to allow us to set a reboot if offline for “x” period of time. that way I can keep connection to my cameras without having to go around and reboot all of them every week.

8 Likes

Let’s get this happening wyze

1 Like

Please look here to install a script to schedule a daily reboot on the camera itself (i think)

It would be great to have a setting to reset the camera on a scheduled event only to flip the camera power off and back on again.

This feature would help:

1. Refresh network communication for internet
  2. Refresh extended wyze sensors that may become lost or disconnected
  3. Reestablish proper Alexa communication

I experience times where my camera may work but extended sensors fail and the cam needs a remote reset but you dont know when this event happens until your caught off guard.

5 Likes

This is a great idea. We need this in a software upgrade.

3 Likes

Please add a setting for automatic reboot every 24 hours. This would reset the Wyze Sense Bridge and reconnect the disconnected / offline sensors and restore stability to Wyze Sense devices.

At present, when I notice a sensor disconnected / offline, I have to manually pull the plug on the Wyze Bridge or reboot the camera with the application.

Alternatively, Wyze Bridge / Camera could automatically reboot once per 24 hours between 2-3AM when it detects an offline sensor.

2 Likes

Two years later and still not implemented. Manually having to reset or power cycle the camera is nuts. How hard can this be ?

2 Likes

Same exact issue on some of my older pan cams

Cmon Wyze team, please implement a fix. Remote power cycling of some sort would make these cams considerably more reliable.

4 Likes

we really need this feature for all the wyze cams. i lost two camera out of 7 i had at home while i was traveling for work, really wish it will auto reboot if no internet after 10min or something to fix it.

4 Likes