Are you Upper Middle Tech?

You forgot Groupwise :grin:

3 Likes

Adapted a Displaywriter to an office out of self-defense (high status folk who protected their positions by making the lives of their subordinates chaotic.) A couple boxes of manuals to keep me busy and no one else in the office with any aptitude or interest (mostly mild fear in the face of dreaded tech.)

Got it wired over time and taught folks to operate it. A few, of course, were petrified and thus unable.

Did a lot of mass mailing (mail merge?) and the thing had keystroke memory so you could ā€˜type aheadā€™ before input screens would appear if you were nimble and accurate enough. I was motivated to escape chaos and so I was.

I must say I think I had the thing operating at its capacity and optimally. A series of raises followed as I poured my anger into the work.

1 Like

Whatcha got? :slight_smile:

Howā€™d you enter and/or what the heck happened to ya?? If you care to disclose. :grin:

Same for the rest of you mugs (in the broadest sense :woman: :woman_beard: :man: )

Story time! :open_book:

If you care to discloseā€¦

Scrolling vainly for the WD-40ā€¦

1 Like

wow. I had not thought about the IBM Displaywriter in years. Thanks. Those things were monsters. Huge in size. Difficult to move around. And 8" diskette. We had two people that would repeatedly remove the ā€œsaveā€ diskette in the middle of working and put another in. They would corrupt the files on both, and them blame me.

You wonā€™t believe how I put an end to this madness. One weekend, I wrote a letter to her boss (there was no email in those days), and said, trust me, I will fix this later. I wrote a letter (on her Displaywriter and printed it), it said, " You are not qualified to use this machine. We are returning it to the supplier and here is your equipment." And I put an old IBM Selectric on her desk. I disassembled the Displaywriter and moved it to a closet. She went to her boss who just shrugged his shoulders. She sat for about 15 minutes, and went to see if we (me) had moved (returned) the other two Displaywriters. We had not. She found me and begged for her Displaywriter back. I said, too late, its gone. I let her whine and complain for the day, and it was back there the next day. Never had another ā€œtechnical/proceduralā€ problem with her using the machine after that.

1 Like

Just to be clear, When I marked ā€œTopā€ itā€™s because I was thinking in the context of all people in general I would probably fairly easily fit in the top 1%ā€¦I definitely look like a complete n00b that knows nothing and has nothing compared to some people who are exponentially above me, especially in certain areas.

But just because someone with hundreds of millions of dollars looks poor compared to Elon Musk, they canā€™t really say they arenā€™t also rich in the top 1%. :man_shrugging: Thatā€™s how I decided. :wink:

Not an ego tripā€¦well, unless Iā€™m talking to @R.Good @spamoni or @cyberdog_17 ā€¦then Iā€™m saying Iā€™m top just because I canā€™t admit defeat to any of them in the Wyze-iest home competition. :rofl:

6 Likes

For those that have struggled with a networking issue, you might appreciate this.

I run a scanner server that feeds to a duckdns address.

I was running it on a Dell 610 laptop with no issues. My son in Okinawa is able to listen to police, fire, EMS and whatever else comes across the unencrypted airwaves.

The laptop is too bulky. I can run a headless server and do most anything online.

So I bought a miniPC from AliExpress. 5ā€ square footprint.
The miniPC would not allow duckdns to connect. I checked and triple checked every setting on both with the miniPC sitting next to the laptop.

Blew Windows 10 away on the miniPC, and still had the same problem. Was able to get to the scanner from 192.168.0.xxx but not through duckdns. Got a timed out error.

On the miniPC canyouseeme.org can see the port is open.

Been messing with this for several hours over the last few days.

Forgot the miniPC and the laptop have different IPs. Had the port open on the router for the laptop IP, but not the miniPC.

Once the laptop port was removed and the miniPC port forwarded, everything is working fine.

2 Likes

Wow. My one question is: do you drink your ultra-strong coffee with cream or just the usual THIS AMAZING SKILLSET?

I assure you, Absolutely no offense intended. Just a sideways attempt to complement your skills. Honest.
(Its a slow and rainy day here.)

2 Likes

I had to pat myself on the back. My wife just says ā€œthatā€™s nice, dearā€
My knowledge of this stuff in in the ā€˜dangerousā€™ category.

1 Like

Hahahahaha ā€œfairly easily fit in the top 1%ā€ Iā€™m thinking more like maybe slip through that door before it closes!! I believe I have already won the "Wyze-iest home competition against you! :slight_smile: :blush:

2 Likes

Funny, Iā€™d forgotten all the details about the physical thing, reduced to a cartoon image of manic energy directed in and a cloud of completed copy spewing outā€¦ settling to the desktop, collated.

We were ghost writers for a ā€˜person of high statusā€™ and did most of our work on Selectrics. Grunt work for the king for the most part,

1 Like

My first microcomputer was a Trash-80 Model 4. Picked up for a song virtually new from someone who bought the ā€˜organize your life & businessā€™ pitch at Radio Shack - only to become demoralized when the reality of the process fully dawned at home.

ā€˜The Model I radiated so much interference that, while playing games, an AM radio placed next to the computer could be used to provide sounds.ā€™ -Wikipedia

1 Like

This rings a bell for me. Yeah, I understand exactly what you said. Always seeking the approval or complement from my mother, I used to brag about something I accomplished. Her answer was always the same ā€œthatā€™s nice, Rickyā€. I think it rang hollow, because my name is not Ricky. Donā€™t know where that came from.

3 Likes

Lol!

1 Like

May she liked I Love Lucy :hearts:

3 Likes

Which one?

5 Likes

Well, I donā€™t know where @Newshound started but I know some stuff he did *- because he told us!
Though I think he may be poll-averse, like so many of the upper crust. image :wink:
Ā  * Keep a low profile, he (purportedly) sez. Or maybe more precisely, Fly under the radarā€™ :satellite:

1 Like

Upper

1 Like

Sorry, Peep ā€“ Just chimed in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Wayne. :slight_smile:

1 Like