API for Download and Control

The main issues with IFTTT are that it’s extremely limited, it’s SLOW, and it breaks if the internet connection goes down. So, you can’t use it for anything mission critical or time-sensitive.

2 Likes

Just adding my voice to the fire–I’d love a proper Wyze API. I’m just getting into smart home stuff and would love to communicate with my Wyze bulbs directly through an API instead of being forced to use Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa or IFTTT.

3 Likes

I would love to have an API that would allow me to leverage the sound playing capability in the camera (used for the push-to-talk function in the app) to play custom alarms, use text to voice to read notifications out loud, etc :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think ring and nest both have APIs!

1 Like

Unfortunately, without any type of API or smart home integrations available (Home Assistant, Smart Things… anything other than IFTTT, as that certainly doesn’t count), I’ll pay 10 times more for a device that does without a second thought. By the time everyone else does the same thing, our camera needs have been met and there’s no need to buy more cameras and sensors once WYZE finally does release something. Which is unfortunate because the hardware and software for WYZE is quite nice except for that one, mission critical point. Obviously they have existing APIs, they’re just not public. I can’t imagine it being such a major hurdle to release some public functionality. Such a shame.

2 Likes

:+1:t3: I would also like to +1 API Request, as a Software Developer, For example we could add scene recognition (light sensor based or image based or both) to trigger one or more bulbs to toggle instead on depending of a IFTTT trigger that makes it depending on a weather service or a rule that doesn’t works consistent with internet connection.

PD
Maybe I can add a (somewhat bad or not as good as the API itself) idea, develop some kind of gateway(?) / controller(?) (new product / not obligatory / for integrators / maybe WyzeCam v3? / 4 x 4 x 4 inch box) that can be added to the network and be “programmed” / “customised” maybe like Node-RED or something like (at least TypeScript based please :pray:) and last but not least have a ssd (at least 256GB?) to store local recordings (you can do it the Apple way (not upgradable / but you will take a bit of hate but love at the same time) or just BYOSD… router too) :smiley:

2 Likes

I am with everyone that wants an API, I don’t understand why it is such a big deal. Using workarounds like IFTTT and node-red and various other applications are way to complicated for me to mess with and would end up being slow to respond to triggers. They seem to have good cams but buying more does not make sense at this point. People have been sending the API signal to Wyze for years and nothing has happened. They don’t seem to care what their customers want. I’m going to check and see if Blink, which as an API, will work with Home Assistant.

3 Likes

It go on the record we want an API

5 Likes

+1 for a public API. Whatever it supports would be helpful for automation.

3 Likes

Still waiting… likely to abandon Wyze in favor of actual smart home devices that I can connect to Home Assistant if this isn’t resolved in the near future.

3 Likes

I would like to have an API so I can access my videos.

1 Like

pretty sure wyze has given up on this.

2 Likes

They are tied down by the Chinese camera, After playing around with the firmware rather extensively Ive learned how limited the brain is on this.

I almost promise you they Regret making the RTMP Firmware Splice. The Zigbee node they made for the back of the camera it by itself is a stretch.

Their app works great as a standalone product and that’s what they want and all they want.

I Wish they made a hub Like a Local NVR That has the brain power to run a localized API however given the price point they are fighting at WYZE isnt the company we will see this from.

Hello,

That it is very amazing what you just wrote, can you explain a bit more, I really do not understand what the purpose of Zigbee interaction is with the camera. I ’m using the camera with the RTP mod and I capture the feed via TinyCam. The problem is security and information lost due to hacking since you need to go to the cloud to connect and manage the device. The API will solve that, lets keep pushing and have them provide that. Cheers

1 Like

An API for Wyze cams would be awesome. +1

1 Like

This is the feature that has stopped me from investing further with Wyze. I’ve purchased 6 Wyze cam v2s (3 for myself and 3 for another location), and a sensor kit… but can’t go further until they respect knowledgeable users’ demand for local control. Although the api and sensor kit have both been reverse engineered and solutions are available, it’s only a workaround/hack unless it’s from the manufacturer. Wyze products can’t get our approval for being smart home friendly, when an internet connection is the only link to your security devices… It’s just not Wyze.

edit: I still upvoted… haven’t given up hope yet.

5 Likes

Yea, I feel the same way. I love the product, but I would love API control for a number of things.

3 Likes

Come on wyse we very much want this we really really do.

Empower us let us together build amazing things all we ask for is very simple restful API cues I can even be local with a hub I don’t care I’ll buy the hub without hesitation if it has an API built into it.

1 Like

Wyze staff - Can you please let us know how many votes are needed for this feature request to get traction?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Traction? Dude they are avoiding this topic like a plague. Nobody from staff dares to touch it.

4 Likes