Am I seeing my Neighbors home on MY Wyze Cam?

I just clicked play on a recorded motion event that happened in my bedroom at 3am and the very first split second I see a quick flash of a room that isn’t in my house. I of course have a password for my Wyze account and have not given it to anyone AT ALL. It looks like it’s a glitch, but it makes me wonder if someone else can see MY room. I don’t know if this room belonged to a neighbor nearby or someone else far away. Is it possible for someone to hack into these Wyze cameras? I have never used the cloud for my Wyze cameras, but I use my internet connection to connect, run and to view my videos on the Wyze app. And yes, my internet account also has a restricted password. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if Wyze knows about it.

PS: I just noticed that I also see this room (that doesn’t belong to me) when I clicked on a date in the event recording tab. It’s only for a split second, but it happens every time I click on a date - any date. Hmmmm

Can you capture a screen grab of this so we can see what you’re seeing? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Wyze was using an image of a generic room as a thumbnail for events. This may be what you’re seeing.

As far as someone accessing your camera: does your Wyze account have a strong password that you have never used anywhere else? One way hackers get into things is one one service has a breech, they obtain that info and try the same email and password on many other sites. If you are reusing passwords, you are vulnerable to this.

BTW, if you are viewing events on the Event tab in the app, they you are using the Wyze cloud. These 12 second clips are stored in the cloud.

1 Like

That’s my thought. I would like to see the generic rooms replaced by a black screen so when I’m flipping through things at night, I don’t get blinded by some bleached out full screen white room. It would also cut down on these types of concerns and threads. Isn’t one generic room a kitchen and another a living room with a sofa?

In the current beta, the generic room thumbnails are replaced by camera icons. Unfortunately, they will still be pretty bright. You may want to vote for this if you haven’t yet:

Been there, done that. I have to think the Wyze employees are so tired of using the software in the office during the day that they really don’t use it the way we do or else they would be running into the same issues.

2 Likes

Thats bizzare.
I juts checked my PanCam’s and Cam’s recorded snippets under “Events” and I don’t get any “ghost rooms”
Just out of interest, are you in an apartment or house. i.e. How close would any neighbours be ??

@BJP Is this what you’re seeing? This is what I see momentarily as I swipe through events. The only way I could even capture it was to enable Screen Recording on my iPad, record a few seconds and then save a frame.

1 Like

Oh, ok yes, I also see that thumbnail before any captures are updated with the first frame of video.
It’s just a thumbnail. :ok_hand:

Hi, Yes! That’s exactly what I see. I couldn’t get a snapshot of it. I didn’t know it was a thumbnail. Thank you for clearing that up. I LOVE my Wyze cams (4 total) and never have any issues with them. I feel better now knowing that I’m not seeing someone else’s home. Which means no one can see mine. Thank you!

1 Like

Well I’ve just started seeing a continuous feed from somewhere else. I have a camera in my BARN, but that camera has been showing a feed from somewhere that is definitely NOT my barn for over 12 hours. This is quite alarming and starting to make me think all these cameras are going to get smashed and put in the trash.NOT Barn cam

@timyorty This does seem odd and would be concerning to me as well. Note that I’m just a customer like you, not a Wyze employee or forum moderator. I’ll tag one of each and you should hear back soon. @UserCustomerGwen @Loki

1 Like

Yes, this is quite alarming. Which camera are you using in your barn?

We definitely want to look into what’s happening here. Could you please send in a log through Account > Help & Feedback and then post the log number here? I’m going to escalate this to the team right away. They may want to work with you in private messages if they need to ask for account information.

5 Likes

@timyorty Is this from streaming or event video? This is concerning. We will take highest priority to investigate. We will need the device MAC to start investigation.

2 Likes

Is it possible someone leaned an old door up in your barn? Have you checked?

/obligatory

1 Like

:+1: It is an old door. You can see a doorknob in the lower right hand corner.

Can you still physically access your ‘barn’ camera? Is it possible to double check streaming is different from what your Wyze app shows? I know this is a very low chance the camera got mis-placed somewhere. I would like to double check if you don’t mind. Thanks!

1 Like

I disconnected the camera and moved it to another location, now it’s back to normal, if there is such a thing.

I disconnected it and moved it, it’s back to normal now.

1 Like

Hi @timyorty, we checked your camera data on our side. Everything looked normal. Your camera was setup a few months ago and no further setup history. The owner looks clean to us too. No matter where you put it you should only see the video from your camera. Now we lost the repro which couldn’t continue to investigate. If it happens again, please let us know ASAP. Thanks!

1 Like