Add a loud Siren (also integrated with HMS)

The alarm is going for $10 now: Amazon.com: Honeywell WAVE-2 Two Tone Siren : Sports & Outdoors

The adapter is $9: Amazon.com: TMEZON 12 Volt 2A Power Adapter Supply AC to DC 2.1mm X 5.5mm Plug 12v 2 Amp Power Supply, Wall Plug Extra Long 8 Foot Cord : Electronics

Total time is prob. a couple of hours, though it took me longer because I was figuring it out as I went along.

• Dave
1 Like

Thank you Dave

Hi Dave,

The problem I ran into was there was no good rule to set that would trigger the siren. What rule are you using?

I have mine triggering off of the motion sensors. But, I need a 1 rule for each sensor, and I have to manually turn on each rule when I set the alarm. Otherwise, I would set off the siren while walking inside the house.

Then, I have to turn off the rules when I get home. This is very inconvenient, especially since I canā€™t control whenever anyone in the household comes or goes.

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Dave, or should I call you MacGyver?

I just scrolled up and saw your other note about how you set yours. I will take a moment to digest and get out some pocket lint and duct tape and give it a try. I actually have a spare Wyse plug, so I can create the Alarm Master.

It does seem al lot easier to create a rule to turn on Siren if alarm triggers, and turn off siren when alarm is disarmed.

Thanks,

Ken

Iā€™m gonna try it, just ordered the equipment.

Robert
[Mod Edit]

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Very interesting solution! There is still an extra step when arming the alarm every night but much better then dealing with each sensor. Please keep us informed how this works out for you, I am

concerned how dependable the plugs are for this.

Dave, you get an Ingenious :bulb: badge on your Avatar as soon as Wyze develops one! This needs to be reposted to the tips and tricks! Love the idea of stacking the plugs to work around the home sensor triggers. I am going to assemble the parts and put it in serviceā€¦ But Iā€™m thinking I need to find a surplus air raid siren!

Good job Dave!

Hi Dave,

Stacked the plugs and set the rules. Definitely works a lot better. Showed the Mrs. and she rolled her eyes and walked away. But, we have a solution that is now workable.

Never thought of stacking plugs. Gives off the power strips plugged into power strips to make an extension cord kinda vibe.

I like the air raid siren idea or maybe a recording of helicopters with police yelling come out with your hands up, we have you surrounded.

Thanks, Dave!

1 Like

BTW. I wonder if using a location trigger to set the alarm master to on works. I havenā€™t had much success with the location triggers. Especially, since multiple people use the app.

Yeah, good point about the plug reliability. I used the older non-CFH plugs for mine. The new CFH plugs have a tendency to go offline, and then you have to re-add them to get them to work. Not good for a security system!

Glad itā€™s working out for you, @ken63 ! Havenā€™t tried location triggering, but lemme know if you get it to work.

One other recommendation: if youā€™re using repurposed plugs then make sure you donā€™t have any old automation routines thatā€™ll turn them on. (I found this out the hard way, when my alarm went off at dusk!)

• Dave

A loud wireless siren would definitely help seniors like me with some hearing loss. It would be a great addition to the security system. I donā€™t understand why Wyze cannot use a commerically available siren and modify it for use with their security system. John D.

2 Likes

What is the status of Wyze adding a loud siren to their Home Security System? Does anyone have an updates on this much needed product addition?

1 Like

Keep an eye on the header tags. This is still in ā€˜researchingā€™ā€¦ Meaning they are still looking into a manufacturer with compatible hardware, researching licensing contract costs, considering software compatibility and costs, supply chain issues, distribution channelsā€¦ Yada Yada Yada.

If and when it gets moved over to the #Roadmap or In Development tag, then we might have a reason for some hope within our lifetimes. But not much.

1 Like

ROFL, thatā€™s the BEST update Iā€™ve come across ever! LOL. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

WYZE Special Alert. Itā€™s coming, really, we promise. In the meantime, here are NEW products that youā€™ll NOT be interested in from a security standpoint, but donā€™t let that deter you from our promises of NOT giving you what youā€™ve been asking for (for years!!!)!!!

5 Likes

Keep on wishing. What good is am alarm system you cannot hear?

4 Likes

Thanks, for the updates, their very helpful. Now, please continue to stress the need for a loud siren. Appreciate your posts.

1 Like

The frustrating thing is that this is a really easy fix with a third party siren, and a simple programming change to add a trigger to Do something when alarm is turned on/off and do something if alarm triggers.

Keep voting!

4 Likes

I made the request in 2019 or 2020. Simple programming fix. put a button on the screen which allows you to play any pre recorded sound bite through all your cameras. ie sound file of siren, barking dogs, etc. Why is this taking so long?

2 Likes

That functionality exists. Cams w\ a siren can all be activated with the tap of a Rule button created within the App. Other Wishlist items have asked for the expansion of the Widgets to include Rules Shortcuts on the OS Home screen.

But, sirens or other noises on the cams is not a solution in any case. First, the cam speaker volume is not capable of broadcasting beyond the immediate area. Second, none of the cams can be triggered to do any action whatsoever from the triggering of an HMS alarm. It must be done manually.