Wyzecam V3 Video Viewing Data Usage Question

I just purchased and installed the Wyzecam V3. I did not sign up for the Camplus subscription so it was my understanding that only 12 seconds of motion would be recorded for each event. In addition, I installed an SD card and set the V3 to continuously record.

The camera seems to be functioning correctly as short clips are saved and available via the app’s events button. However, it appears that I have access to the continuous recording through the app as well. Initially I thought I would need to plug directly into the camera to access this or via removal of the SD card.

How does this continuous recording relate to my internet data usage. Does it get downloaded automatically to my phone, thereby using data or am I simply accessing the camera directly without any data usage?

The files are on the camera’s SD card. So you are pulling data across the network. If you are on the SAME local WiFi network as the camera it SHOULD take almost no Internet bandwidth to play them.

If you are on any other network (3G, someone else’s WiFi) then it will use Internet bandwidth to view the recordings (or download them).

Note that as the cameras do their continuous recording to SD there is no Internet used. It’s only when you hit them via the app…

1 Like

So just to clarify… If I’m at home and my phone is connected to my home wifi (on which the Wyzecam was originally set up), then if I access the continuous recording video via the app on my phone, no internet bandwidth will be used when the files are played?

1 Like

Yes. That is how it should work.

You can test this by starting playback from your phone and temporarily disconnecting the router’s WAN (Internet) port.

1 Like

as @Customer stated you are correct. once the cameras make the initial authentication to Wyze servers as long as you are using the same wifi the cameras are on you are accessing everything locally, not through the cloud and are thus not using the internet as one might think. just the LAN. at the point you begin looking at events ( which are kept in the cloud) you then use the internet. or if the cameras have to reestablish that connection again. think, power outage or something like that. but generally for the sd card everything is local. you should be good.

2 Likes

I have a colleague who has 3 Wyze Cams (2 V2’s and 1 V3). He decided to test the Local viewing of the camera. He unplugged the WAN connection to his router, which disabled his internet, but left his local network intact. He was able to open and view the camera’s live stream. However, anything on the cloud was not accessible, but anything on the SD Card was.

2 Likes

Confirmed. I unplugged my router - modem connection and was still able to view the SD card playback. Thanks

2 Likes