Wyze Video Doorbell v2 firmware - Released 4/8/2024

I hope so, too, even though I’ve held off on the firmware update and haven’t personally experienced this issue.

Sometimes it’s totally warranted, especially when it’s offering detailed and potentially constructive feedback. Criticism can be good if the other party uses it as an opportunity to learn and improve. That would be my hope with Wyze’s approach.

I don’t know, either. I’m also not an engineer and don’t have any insight into how Wyze addresses problems like this, but I read a lot of posts here and definitely share the frustration when it feels like your voices aren’t being heard.

Just FYI, as of today (5/13) notifications and recording suddenly started working again after about a month of not.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. I hope we see more of that.

This dropped on Discord a few minutes ago:

Unfortunately that is a version of software that has been in Beta since 04/25/24 and did NOT fix the problem for the majority of us with the Notification issue. Again, is Wyze listening to what’s being posted in these forums and reported to customer service along with logs? It seems not!

1 Like

As I mentioned earlier, I randomly got it working even when others were struggling, but dumbly updated to the lastest from a couple of days ago as I figured it would be safe now…nope. now I’ve lost my notifications. Sigh

Update 1: after a day, it seems to be picking things up again and notifying.

Update 2: super laggy. Most of the time it won’t pick me up unless I hang out in front of it for over a minute! Ridiculous

1 Like

Is it possible that the addition of WDR and the way it was implemented in the firmware update has an affect on detections and notifications? My understanding is that many of the Wyze cameras detect motion via pixel differentiation: They’re comparing the pixels in an image that change between frames. I don’t know how the color processing in the WDR feature is affecting the image on a frame-by-frame basis, but I wonder if it’s possible that this introduced a flaw in the ability of the camera to detect motion (in its image processing/analysis flow) and if that’s somehow interfering with the doorbell’s ability to generate notifications as a result.

In a related topic about missing event recordings and notifications, several users have noted that the problem (lack of detection/notification) seems most prominent during daylight hours but that event recordings/detections/notifications are working during overnight hours. This makes me wonder if the issue is related to lighting and color processing involved in the WDR feature implementation.

I honestly don’t know if one thing is technically related to the other. I’m just thinking out loud here, because in my mind it seems plausible, and I haven’t yet seen anyone else try to connect the two, even though the introduction of the WDR feature in the firmware update coincided with the notifications issue.

:man_shrugging:

Based on this post, I tried disabling WDR on my Doorbell v2. Almost immediately, some motion started generating events – but not all.

I walked past my doorbell several times and it did not register. Detection zone = off, record events = all, sensitivity = 50. I had another Wyze cam in that general area so I reviewed the footage on the doorbell’s SD card, and it did in fact detect me (complete with motion tagging), but did not generate an event.

Curiously, I noticed that it recorded me in slo-mo on the SD card. I don’t think the SD card is part of the problem, but just to rule it out, I’m going to remove it, test again, replace it with a different known good SD card, and test a third time.

UPDATE: Removing the SD card had no effect. I ejected the card, rebooted, waited about a minute, confirmed I could see then livestream, then walked past several times. None of the walk-bys generated an event. I should point out that the sensitivity detects a single leaf fluttering by at 50, so there’s no reason it should fail to see a person.

2 Likes

That’s weird, and it makes me wonder if there’s still some relationship there. Specifically, I wonder if the code that allows for WDR—even if that feature isn’t enabled—is having an interfering effect on motion detection and notification.

I really don’t know, but I appreciate your taking the time to fiddle with the settings, do some of your own testing, and report back. Since Wyze has been essentially silent on this issue following the most recent firmware update, I have to wonder what’s going on inside the developers’/engineers’ minds, and I’m just using this as an opportunity to ask questions that I haven’t yet seen others asking.

One thing I noticed is that all of the video, including livestreaming, is now running at half speed. What happens is that even if there’s no motion, the livestream will play back at half speed for 6-10 seconds, then jump ahead to catch up, then resume playing at half speed. This happens regardless of whether or not there’s motion.

This started when I disabled WDR.

I can’t say exactly what the correlation is, but it does seem that WDR (even when disabled) is making the camera unstable. This makes me think there may be some poorly written code in there somewhere.

I notice playback glitches (like the video seeming jerky and advancing ~2 seconds at a time when I watch the timestamp) from time to time on the Video Doorbell v2, but I also notice it occasionally on other cameras (like the Cam OG), and I don’t even have the WDR firmware.

The last few days my doorbell has straight disconnected and I can only get it back by disconnecting it, waiting, and re-adding it.

I also see this behavior. No event recorded when I walked past by the doorbell. Yet it detected a slight movement of a leave/small branch. This is in middle of the day. I set sensitivity to 100.