Wyze Sensor on gun safe

I installed a sensor in my gun safe so I will know if it gets opened. Allows a little more peace of mind.

3 Likes

Great use of a sensor! Welcome to the forum!

Great usage especially if there are children in the home.

How is it working for you? Do you have it on the external part of the safe or inside?

Sorry. This request was overlooked. The sensor is inside the safe which is for a single, or two, pistol(s)

I did a similar thing! I have my full size gun safe in a closet behind a sliding door. I put the Wyze cam on top of the safe (yay for magnets!), and set up notifications so that anytime the closet door opens, I get sent the video before they even have time to notice the camera or try to open the safe. I’ll have a nice screenshot of the person’s face.

1 Like

Can I use the motion sensor for the gun safe. I want to put it on the back door of the safe. Would that work I just want notification if someone opens the safe. Unless you have a better solution thanks michael

The problem you may have with this approach is the signal not getting out of the gun safe to the hub.

I tested it yesterday when my safe is open motion goes off thanks for getting back to me

Good to know.

I have troubles with the contact sensor not reliably connecting to my hub, and it is on the outside of the safe. I may try a motion sensor inside if I can find a good way of mounting it.

It’s a Great Idea, But remember WiFi doesn’t like going thru Solid Objects Very well, especially steel, So don’t bet the family jewels on them until you’ve tested it well!

1 Like

Hi there I did test it when someone opens the safe the motion sensor does alert me on my phone

Given the nature of what is often kept in a safe, I would test, and test again. Then test again on a regular basis.

I put one one the wheel you turn after putting code in. Because I had a problem with people messing with it. I have people of all ages and all act like 3 year Old’s seeing a big safe. Oh let’s guess the combo are mess with the spinner so I already have a campan with hub so I tried putting a contact sensor on the wheel and a dedicated motion sensor right above about 2ft. But the motion sensor batteries drain like no tomorrow plus never stay connected after fresh Good batteries and the exact same with the wheel.
It’s something very important to me because I’m very cautious with gun’s and especially don’t want kids messing with it! It’s a brand new kit and have had nothing but problems. I’m going to have a v2 on the ceiling dedicated just for the safe at some point but not if this is what I have to deal with to protect kids and others. They are all within feet of eachother and the wifi box so there shouldn’t be a problem I figured. Sorry long message just frustrated and saw your post. Maybe you have found something that works well

Same thing. I have the v1 contact sensor inside a large gun safe. And for redundancy I also have a v1 motion sensor inside the safe. Works great.

After having a bum contact sensor (muttering about stupid battery design), I have replaced it with a new one. I have a motion sensor sitting on top of the safe that triggers anytime the door to the room the safe is in opens. I have also added a v2 camera overlooking the area from “very high up”. A year later, and it seems to bee a relatively robust additional layer(s) of security.

In fact, I should go test it right now.