Wyze Sense range extender a must

Keeping all sense items within a 15’ radius from camera is not realistic. To make this a home security system it really needs be able to go further. A stand alone extender would be a great idea, so (for example) my nursery bedroom window sense will reach camera about 30’ away watching front door.
Thank you
David

4 Likes

Hi @Duyhreuos,

You should be getting much more range than 15’ from your sense devices. For example, I have a motion sensor in my mailbox about 100’ from the bridge through the front wall/window of my house and it has good signal.

I’d suggest submitting a Support Request to get help with the range issue.

That said, a 2nd camera/bridge combo would already serve as a range extender. Wyze does not currently sell the bridge separately, but you can vote for that here: Sell Wyze Sense bridge separately.

3 Likes

I sent a support request prior to posting and that’s where I got the ~15’ range. They suggested posting on here to request the extended idea.

@Loki is your mailbox metal? I tried putting the sensor inside then outside the mailbox, but every time the sensor makes contact with the metal the signal shuts down.
The red light on the front of the sensor still blinks like it is operating properly, but the open/closed signal doesn’t register on my app.
If i hold it a little away from the metal, it works, so I know the range is not a problem.
Any suggestions on how to make it work? I was really looking forward to having this on my mailbox and I am really bummed out now.

2 Likes

I think it’s OK for me to answer for Loki Because I happen to know his mailbox is wood

1 Like

If you really, really Want a sensor in your mailbox you could buy a plastic mailbox , Medium or large
I have 3 siblings that were Mail Carriers And I can tell you They love people with large mailboxes It saves them Trips to the door with smaller packages

https://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-Mailboxes-Rust-Proof-Post-Mount-GMB515B01/dp/B01KJEFJ4I/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=CjwKCAjwiZnnBRBQEiwAcWKfYiMQGZysdLOFWxEkDqcQok5JYB6-gWjqroIfRjGjAmY4tBRWu7JyKBoCJI0QAvD_BwE&hvadid=241923834601&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9017037&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=8278718236684408789&hvtargid=aud-647006051489%3Akwd-1788177401&hydadcr=24660_10400764&keywords=plastic%2Bmailbox&qid=1558647098&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1

1 Like

@JennLynnC Nope, sorry, it’s 1/2’ plywood. I don’t think metal is going to work. As @HDRock points out, there are a variety of plastic mailboxes available that look very much like the metal ones.

FYI, here’s a link to my mailbox setup: Mailbox monitor

1 Like

thanks y’all!

1 Like

Did you ever get this figured out? I also have a metal mailbox but I had a zwave sensor working in there flawlessly for 2 years until the sensor completely died recently. After replacing it with a Wyze contact sensor I cannot get consistent readings. Most of the time it stays on open.

I’m not willing to replace the mailbox as I spent a lot of money on it when we moved in a few years ago. Thinking about adding some wire to the internal antenna and sticking it outside of the mailbox because I like these sensors and I really want it to work. Since I stumbled on this thread I figured I’d ask you first to see if you made any progress since then.

Loki, I have the bridge in my garage camera. My mailbox is about '55 feet away and I lose the connection about halfway. It’s inside my garage and the door is closed but I still think it should reach. What do you think?

I’m not an expert on this, but I think a lot would depend on the materials of the mailbox, garage and door. You might want to try using a USB extension cable to remote the bridge from the camera to a closer spot or perhaps at a window.

Not sure if I understand. Does the bridge not have to be plugged in to the camera?

Yes, the bridge does need to be plugged into the camera. But you could get the bridge further away by using a USB extension cable such as this:

https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable-Male-Female/dp/B00NH11PEY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=usb+extension+cable&qid=1587261589&sr=8-5

Of course, you could just try moving the camera to a different location.

2 Likes

Ahh, thanks, now I get it :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hi, I got the same problem. I from Canada. I got those stupid Community Mailbox from Canada Post. It is like 5 houses down the road. And I can’t able to find any solution. I try to put the Wyze Motion Sensor inside. I got it to work once, then it stop. I was hoping for it to work… too bad… If anyone wonder what my mailbox looked like… Here is a link from Canada Post. I have no option to change it. Your community mailbox | Personal | Canada Post

I think I’m in need of an extender. I already have 2 bridges in my house, but am having issues with some sensors in my closet. The nearest bridge is about 20’ away, and for the first couple weeks they worked great. One of them started having issues and reading ‘open’ even when it wasn’t, LED on the sensor indicated that it is working (flashes when opened, flashes when closed), but not registering in the app. I’ve tried removing and re-pairing it, removing the bridge, restarting and resetting the camera, still having issues. Tonight it started happening with another sensor in the same area. Both are only showing one bar for the signal. That being said these are in my master bedroom. I dont need a cam in there to get a bridge closer, so an extender would be great.