Wyze Outdoor Cam Why Does it Need a Hub?

I have 4 of the Wyze Outdoor Cams, got them when they first were on pre-order but never used them. I need to start using them before the built in rechargeable batteries lose too much of their battery health. But, I started thinking why do these need a HUB? Why couldn’t they just connect to my home WiFi like the rest of my Wyze cameras do?

2 Likes

Still seems they should have still let us use the cameras without the base station. I mean the local storage is nice and most people would never run a long ethernet cable through their house, so the base station can let the cameras have a longer distance. That’s just impractical for most homes. And thanks for that link about it.

1 Like

The Base also has a setting where you can change it’s connection from ethernet to Wi-Fi and you can move the base to different locations that have a good network signal. I have never used the Wi-Fi connection for this reason. My base is connected via ethernet and I have a 3 bar signal to three of my four cameras, the 4th cam has two bars. There are numerous post around here that relate to many people having problems with the Base connected via Wi-Fi but I have no personal knowledge.

1 Like

Yes. And they’re both prone to crappy connections and constant failure.

1 Like

AFAIK the base station is required to save power. The WCOs go into a sleep state when not recording, and I’m guessing the base station has code to support this without the cam having to reestablish a connection everytime. Additionally, the cam needs to be able to power up when you start the live view, so it needs to maintain some form of low energy connectivity.

This is purely speculation, I don’t know how it actually works.

1 Like

No, that’s right. First it is to save the battery power of the cameras by taking care of the periodic communications on the network. Second, it is to double(?) the range to the camera by becoming the intermediary.

I have not had issues with connectivity, but my cams are not that far away.

2 Likes

How will it double the range when the base has to be plugged into the router? So in my situation, that would mean right next to it on the same table.

Have you tried to change the connection of the base from plugged into router to Wi-Fi and move the base where you want to put it?

2 Likes

No, I have not tried that.

May help range

1 Like