Wyze Cams and Asus Routers - connectivity issues resolved

FWIW I have an RT-AC68U as well and haven’t had any major issues with my Wyze Cams. I’m running the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware though, which in my experience has been more stable than the stock Asus firmware (and comes with some nice extra features).

I have an Asus RT-N66 router and have been having occasional connection issues over the last several months. After trying many many different (changing microsd cards, changing resolutions, power cycling cameras/router/iPhone, updating firmware,…) the thing that I think made it all finally work was that I noticed one day my asus router seemed hot, so I found an old internal computer desktop fan and mounted it to blow on the router and keep it cool (had to use a 5v wall brick to power it). Now everything is much more stable and connections speeds are much faster and not choppy.

ASUS RT-AC68U user here…thank you SO much for this. The connection issues were becoming a constant source of daily frustration.

I had the same problem with the ASUS Black Knight router RT-N66U

I had changed both 2.4 & 5 power settings to “balanced”

Changing it to “Good” or “Performance” fixed the issue for me (using Good)

Airtime Fairness is not an option listed for this older router

Here’s a new one with ASUS Routers (maybe others). Don’t turn on secure DNS settings. When I turned this feature on (a must have in my opinion) Wyze Door Gateway, Wyze Color Light, and Amazon Plugs stopped connecting to WiFi. Very frustrating that I can’t use this secure DNS feature with security devices.

1 Like

This finally solved my problem, I tried everything else. I had to turn off DNS-over-TLS under DNS privacy protocol in order for it to connect.

2 Likes

There is also a feature in Asus software called DNS Privacy Protocol under Advanced -->WAN. I turned this on (off by default) and it caused intermittent issues with all my Wyze devices. They were showing up offline in the app and some would work occasionally and then stop. Finally tracked it down to the DNS Privacy protocol after going nuts downgrading firmware, changing dns servers and going through settings in the Asus software. The intermittency threw me for a loop, but as soon as I turned off the DNS Privacy Protocol, all the devices came back and showed up as ON in the app.

2 Likes

Please remember, all this stuff is “designed” by programers and their brains are not wired the way our brains are :slight_smile: FAirness to a programmer can mean lots of things :rofl: :rofl:

Not an expert, but that to me sounds like a hardware issue. If I were you, I would replace that piece of hardware. We should not be cooling or heating externally our equipment unless we leave in a middle of Sahara or Antarctica.